“Wonderfully located, great atmosphere, good food, OK service”

Fife 'n Drum Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Kent
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Monterey, MA
“Wonderfully located, great atmosphere, good food, OK service”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I have been to Fife N Drum restaurant (which sits directly on Rte. 7 in Kent, in the northwest corner of CT) a number of times over the past five years; and our most recent visit (with friends from the CT suburbs of NYC) was on February 24, 2012. Its location is perfect for folks living in the Berkshires wishing to get together with friends living in NYC's northern suburbs or for anyone visiting beautiful northwestern CT. By pure coincidence, several of our visits have been on cold rainy or snowy evenings; and coming into the restaurant from the raw weather outside is a very pleasurable and memorable experience -- lots of wood paneling, fireplaces ablaze, a vaguely colonial setting, and comfortable seating. A broad menu, a reasonable wine selection, expensive but not crazy prices. My wife and I had the duck which was pretty good (crispy); one friend had the scallops which were sweet and perfectly cooked (crispy on the outside, pink on the inside); and her spouse had the lamb shank which I must assume was delicious since he gobbled it down in record time and looked very happy (as did the lamb shank itself until it disappeared). Our friends started with a shared Caesar salad that was prepared tableside and was absolutely outstanding (yes, I tasted it myself). Our friends shared a fruit crumble for dessert which they reported to be mediocre. One of them had red wine (a Syrah) with dinner and was very satisfied with both the taste and the price. His spouse's cocktail order was completely botched. The wait staff ranged from truly excellent to mediocre: our table gave us a view of much of the main dining area and thus we could actually watch really excellent service and really poor service occurring around us; indeed, since we spent a very leisurely two hours there, we ourselves had both types of service over the course of the evening; but we were so relaxed and happy it didn't matter much to us. Other diners were not so forgiving. It pains me deeply to have to comment on the live music since the individual providing it was obviously working very hard to add to the restaurant's ambiance: the results were not positive. The restaurant welcomes families with children; if you want to avoid the hubbub of small children, just arrive a little later. Overall, with all the plusses and some minuses, we continue to return -- the location can't be beat -- and with only a little luck you will have a fine meal in a very pleasant atmosphere

• Visited February 2012

Merrick, New York
“Old School, Traditional Menu and Presentation...but good”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This is a restaurant that felt like someplace my parents would have thought was the most fancy…it look like at first this was a place for the over 60 crowd, but on second glance there were younger people there too. It had that casual hideaway feeling. We went during off season and it was packed! I was unsure when I walked in, it did not appear to be a place that I would like…Well don’t judge a book by the cover….once again mentioning mom!... Yes old school, Ceasar Salad presentation table side and a flambé show as well… lots of rich sauces, a standards/jazz pianist and a full bar just waiting to make you a martini or a rob roy!
Well it turns out the food was enjoyable. The menu had enough variety to keep myself and my husband interested. The service was good and responsive. Stick to traditional tried and true dishes and you wont be disappointed. It is not a cheep place, but there are limited choices in Kent, and over all it was a fun, relaxing meal with an ambiance you don’t find that much anymore.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank kz2
Millerton, New York
“great food”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

nice atmosphere and good food - what's not to like?

New York City, New York
“Warm, friendly, great service and very good food”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My husband and I have been to this area many times - how did we miss the Fife 'n Drum? On a cold winter weekend escape from NYC, we tried it for dinner and LOVED it. So much so that we went back for the great brunch on Sunday. Seated near a warm fireplace, the "old fashioned" style waiters gave excellent, attentive service without being overbearing. Our appetizer and entree dishes were excellent, the only reason I didn't give 5 stars (and the food is extra special for the area) is that the "sides" were the same for every dish and were not very interesting (mashed potatoes and string beans). But we will definitely go back to this restaurant every time we are in town.

• Visited February 2012
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Neat atmosphere”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We were treated to fabulous jazz and a nice, homey atmosphere. The food however was quite a disappointment especially given the price. I'd definitely return to hang out at the bar for a drink and some music but would catch dinner elsewhere.

Been to Fife 'n Drum Restaurant? Share your experiences!