“Great Expectations Met”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main street
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Having lived in England for a number of years recently, my husband and I are drawn to New England places that remind us of gastropubs of the Lake District. Brasserie Pip is right up there in our estimation. It's very satisfying to sit at the copper-topped bar, try wines recommended by a savvy staff, and partake of some tasty food. A few weeks ago, the main course my husband was served was not the one he had ordered. The server whisked it away, and mine too --a perfectly fine swordfish I had already started --made up a new dish for my husband and another for me, and served both with a flourish and an offer of dessert on him! Fond of true French baguette, my husband asked to purchase one to take home. The server told us the chef did not think the bread that evening was his best and would rather not have us take away an inferior loaf. Very charming, and also the mark of a professional and attentive chef. When we returned this week, the server recognized us and asked if we would like to take home the evening's exceptional baquette, on the house. We also enjoyed a wonderful pinot-ish blend recommended by the staff and offered for a taste. Amidst pleasant banter, we enjoyed local striped bass, homemade pappardelle with seafood, and a flourless chocolate cake. Pip serves up the kind of engaging atmosphere and small-menu local delights that make England's country pubs so heartwarming. What's not to like?

1  Thank CMcNabb

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Pricey but nice meal. Not a country inn setting as expexted...a nicer restarant. Wait staff seemed hurried. Drafty.

2  Thank margaret f
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Went here on a Saturday night and ate in the bar area. Service was great all night but there were only 4 tables with guests.
We liked the frites and i liked my filet which was was cooked perfectly and seasoned well. My wife had scallops but they were just blah.
I guess with seeing the rave reviews we were expecting more. We drove for over an hour to get here and maybe just had a higher expectation. They tried hard though. We might go back but not for a while.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is one of those restaurants that serves food artistically but the portions are so small you starve and frankly they aren't that tasty...If it is small it should be spectacular--not so. And it is expensive...Won't go again

1  Thank Geoff F
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Headed over for dinner at the bar and it was delicious! The bread was fresh (as it always is). Laura, the bartender made me a fantastic ruby red grapefruit cosmopolitain - very refreshing. I has the duck confit with cherries and my companion had the lamb. He has a very refined palate and commented that it was the best he has had in a while. This is one of our favorite places to eat and we look forward to many more enjoyable evenings. Highly recommend it!