“Horrible dining experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Ivoryton B&B and Inns
East Hampton, CT.
“Horrible dining experience”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I'm sitting here eating a bowl of cereal because I didn't get my entrée after visiting the Copper Beach Inn. It was a horrible experience and we will not be returning. We arrived at 5:00 with a reservation and were told the main, beautiful dining room wasn't open because they didn't have enough reservations. We were escorted to a warm room with no ambience, no tablecloths, but the same prices of a fine restaurant. We were given menus by the waitress who never introduced herself. She came back for our orders to be told that the beef item that evening.was no longer on the menu. We ordered the Beef Wellington, at least we thought we did. We ordered appetizers then over heard the waitress tell others about the list of other entrees not mentioned to us. I wondered why my salad didn't come when my friend's salad came. The waitress said my salad would come with my friend's beef meal. My friend's Beef Wellington came over cooked. Her second Beef wellington came with raw dough which was taken off the menu. My friend didn't receive the potatoes as mentioned and I never received my entrée. The waitress said I hadn't ordered an entrée. She never questioned me not ordering an entrée if this is what she thought. After 2 horrible entrees we figured why chance dessert and coffee. We both eat out a lot and had previously enjoyed this restaurant. So here I eat cereal at home because I'm starving after visiting the Copper Beach Inn. Poor food, poor service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Pat H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Came here on a beautiful Saturday evening before attending a show at the Ivoryton Theater. The Inn is located on a gorgeous piece of property. We sat out on the deck overlooking the grounds with a fountain. I really wish I could say the dinner was as perfect. There were 3 people in my party and we all ordered something different. I had the salmon, my sister had the halibut and my nephew ordered the duck (one of the specials that night). My sister had the lobster bisque and my nephew and I had the French onion soup. We also ordered the cheese and meat plate as an appetizer. We all agreed that our meals were disappointing. Nothing special about any one of the dishes. I would also like to see more of a California wine selection (just my taste). Out waiter was very nice and helpful. I would love to go back and sit out on the deck again for drinks and appetizers, but with the current menu I don't think that will be an option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChillinChetty
westchester ny
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had dinner at the Copper Beech Inn for the first time in several years and stayed the night in a Carriage House room. We heard there was new ownership, and all in all, we were delighted with what we found. The new management couldn't have been more helpful. The room was comfortable with nice amenities (great robes, hair dryer, coffee service, luggage rack). The bathroom seemed brand new. Grounds were lovely. As expected, dinner was outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed the service and the food. Everything we ordered was delicious. We also liked the full breakfast in the morning. Since it is included, it makes the room price a good value. We had a great time in the area (Florence Griswold Museum, Gillette Castle, shopping) and look forward to coming back and staying and dining at the Copper Beech.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank westchestergourmet
Essex, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I made a reservation for a special room for my special night with my new husband at the Copper Beech. It was a expensive one night but it is your wedding night and so I validated the expense. The girl at the front desk said since it was my wedding night she let me check in early so I could get ready for my wedding with my girls..She said 12 noon the room should have been ready, I got there about 1:00 the maids were still in the room & could not speak any english. I dropped off my wedding dress and other items to get ready for the big event and did some other errands. My florist was going to deliver my flowers to the room , since it was a hot day they thought it would be easier for me. When they got there to deliver my flowers to the room the front desk was very rude to them! Of course I found this out after my wedding! After the reception my new husband and I went to our room and low and behold the night of our wedding, the room was exactly as I left it! No one came in to clean the room after I was there with my girls to get ready..They didn't do anything special for my night stay since it was my wedding night. No rose pedals, didn't turn down the bed, No champage, Nothing? I went on my honeymoon and sent a email to the manager explaining my issues..about three days went by no response! My new husband called the Inn from our honeymoon..We were told he would call us back..Two days went by no phone call..Agian my husband called finally reached the so called manager..He said that we would have to meet him in person? Really? So we went down there when we got home to find out the manager was not in when we arrived to speak with him! The couldn't reach him on his cell! Then the front desk called a girl that was a assistant manager to come in and talk to us! We are in the lobby and she comes in and doesnt even introduce herself and says what can I do? So I am thinking how unprofessional not to even introduce herself and take us in a place away from the main lobby to discuss the concerns. I suggested we move to another room to go over the issues! Finallly she agreed they were wrong and gave us half off our room! I will never go there agian I have been to alot of different places this has been so far the worst experience I have ever had!

Room Tip: Don't bother not worth the money!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Julia H
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed at the Copper Beech Inn for Memorial Day Weekend. It is a lovely Inn in a quiet location. The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. Clements particularly went out of his way to make our stay comfortable. The room was beautifully appointed. We had a very good dinner at the Inn in the newly renovated bar area. The breakfast was not the continental breakfast advertised but a full sit-down delicious meal! I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AprilD21
Eastport New York
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have been to the Cooper Beech Inn many time and have enjoyed my stay . Recently the Inn was taken over by Waters Edge unfortunately . I saw on the web site that ONLY continental breakfast was served with your stay . I cannot believe that for over $800 that we cannot get a full breakfast without extra cost !!! I think people should look twice for the value of their accommodations ...

Room Tip: don't go to the new part . beautiful but creaky and not very soundproof . we stayed in 301 last...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Charles G
New York
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I made a reservation for a weekend in March at the end of January. The Inn took half the money up front -- not a small sum.

A week or so before the weekend of our visit, I got a call stating that due to some "ventilation" issues in the restaurant attached to the Inn, it would be closed during our weekend. The Inn offered to move our reservation to another weekend, availability permitting. But that was it. No offer to refund our deposit, no offer of a discount. After I pressed them for a discount, they offered about 10%, a paltry amount given the importance that the attached restaurant plays on their web site.

But that's not the best part. Three days prior to our visit, I got a call to the effect that the Inn was in fact closed, and that the "owner was no longer the owner". I was again offered the chance to move our reservation to another weekend when the Inn reopened (whenever that would be, it wasn't clear), or to take a room for our original weekend at the Water's Edge Inn in Westbury, CT, which had agreed to "honor" the reservation. No sense of whether the room would be comparable, whether there would be credit for the amount already paid, etc.

And again, that was it. I asked for a refund of the deposit and was told flatly "no." I'll never deal with these people again. All I can do is dispute the charge on my credit card for the deposit and hope. They stole about $600 from me (or, if not from me, ultimately, from the credit card company).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Taxman212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivoryton
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook

Been to The Copper Beech Inn? Share your experiences!