“our 2nd honeymoon”

The Copper Beech Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Ivoryton B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2012

On August 5 and 6th my husband and I stayed at the inn. Upon arrival we were greeted by the lovely young innkeeper named Abby. She promptly showed us to our room which beautiful! We were treated to a delicious cheese and cracker tray. The grounds were majestic and colorful with all of the wildflowers blooming. We enjoyed breakfast in the morning and Abby was always there with her delightful smile ready to help with any questions. The Inn is truly a New England treasure.

Deanna M. DeMaio

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deanna d

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Having planned a special birthday getaway for my husband, I was very disappointed, The setting is beautiful and we love this part of the CT River valley. We tried not to "sweat the small stuff" but it was difficult. So many little things went wrong. Management tried to compensate but the Inn and restaurant experience were disappointing. We will return to the area but chose different accomodations.

Room Tip: We had a standard room in the Carriage House which was small but with pretty decor and needing a new...
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The Copper Beech Inn is a beautiful and very quiet getaway. If you are looking for a quiet place to hide away, this is it. But if you want to explore and have some options of things to do-- this might be too quiet. My husband and I did a "mystery auction" at luxury link and ended up here, and though romantic and tranquil, we were a bit bored. Add to that some very small things that were a bit annoying-- no coffee, broken hairdryer, broken cable, and I'm not sure we would come back. The property is pretty (although no pool, no spa, no transportation or ability to walk to anything) and the people were very nice, but I think they could do better.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a fantastic 3 nights at the inn. The room was great and very nicely appointed. There were a few spots in the room and the bathroom where wallpaper was peeling or a seam was pulling back, but nothing out of the ordinary from other inns and certainly not a distraction. The staff -- particularly Megan and Stephanie -- go out of their way to serve and are always looking for ways to be helpful. I had purchased a package and due to changes in the restaurant, I was not able to use credit toward dinner. Rather than hassle me, they immediately suggested they return the credit to my account as a reduction in price. I wish every innkeeper would treat their guests this courteously!

Breakfasts were fantastic on their deck overlooking well-tended landscape. The only real negative was that, as mentioned earlier, we could not take advantage of their fantastic restaurant for dinner. Their former chef left to start his own restaurant and the chef to replace him is just starting up in a weekend or two. Once that's finalized, I suspect a stay at CBI would be near perfection!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating 15 years of marriage.My husband wouldve preferred staying home and celebrating here (hes a certified homebody) but our daughter was away with her grandmother and we were literally going on a romantic weekend alone for the first time in 15 years .I'd done my reserch and after settling on Mystic Ct. and Griswald Inn as places to visit,I looked for the perfect romatic room, I read all the great reviews for CBI. I secured the suite in the carriage house out back , it was shabby ... not shabby chic either.Water stains on the ceiling and the hot tub was gross.water stains all over the bathroom. I concur with the other guest that complained as I had the same experience .This all couldve been corrected with some new comforters, a rug cleaning ,some platters for the "fruit & cheese" (literally some grapes,cheese slices and a few berries I believe I had the same ugly used cutting board as another guest ) and a gallon of paint. They certainly charge enough for the stay and food. I wanted to call the front desk immediately upon opening our doors but my husband begged me to let it go. I'm "picky" he says but we dont go away all the time and I pay good money for a great time not a mediocre experience, he says I complain too much. The four poster bed in our room was beautiful but the 2 couches looked older than my 38 yr old husband.Thank God I brought towels as there were 2 very small towels we had to put on the floor as the hot tub leaked.I asked for more towels and was told they were " all out " at the time .I purchased a package that included dinner & breakfast. We went in Thursday evening for dinner (I had a reservation for) and was told there was a 30 min wait. We left and got a pizza craving the steak that smelled amazing. Breakfast was great but that was the only thing I can say complimentary about Copper Beech Inn. The morning coffee and tea was in the hallway and in filthy looking little coffee pots.. I did call the following night as I didnt want a repeat of the dinner fiaso again. We picked it up to eat in our room. The food is amazing.I recommend dining at the CBI but do not be fooled by the pictures of this B&B. Unless they've had a complete overhaul the pics are decades old.Stay at the Griswald Inn at least they let you know its "dated".Save your $ I also emailed the manager and never recieved a response, that right there should tell you how much you mean to this establishment.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shanne422
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My stay at Copper Beech last weekend was absolutely wonderful! The room was more like a suite, spacious and beautifully appointed. The touches and details were incredible. I went with my best friends and we had a wonderful time visiting Essex and Old Mystic. But the Copper Beech definitely had both of us wishing we had brought or significant others because the place was so romantic. We also had a 7 course tasting at their restaurant and it was probably one of the best meals I've had. The breakfast was pretty good as well. They treated us like royalty the whole time and the place was so intimate that even though we saw other people we felt like we were there by ourselves. Thank you Copper Beech for a great weekend!

I think the only reason this place doesn’t get more reviews is because people are trying to keep this place a secret, which I don’t blame them.

Room Tip: Comstock is the newest building. But the other buildings have old charm.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Wanted a romantic getaway for my boyfriend's birthday and the Copper Beech delivered! We stayed in Room 323 of the Comstock House (the newest building), which was absolutely gorgeous... Was able to get a special package through Living Social....Breakfast--Eggs Benedict for him and lemon ricotta hotcakes for me was yummy! Pips wasn't open on a Sunday evening in the season yet, so we opted for the River Tavern in Chester... great as well!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the Comstock House...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Seafairer55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ivoryton
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
Water's Edge Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Westbrook

Been to The Copper Beech Inn? Share your experiences!