“Great place for large groups”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Whalan
Cedar Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whalan
Nevis
“Great place for large groups”
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

This is our second trip to Cedar Valley Resort becaue it works so well for large groups. There were 4 bedrooms that could comfortably sleep 12. There is a 3/4 bath on each floor and also a sink in each bedroom which is great for a lot of women. The dining table seats 10 and the overall feel of the cabin is very spacious. They were having trouble with freezing pipes so we had to keep the water running in the kitchen sink at all times which was a little annoying and hard to remember. They allowed us to stay 2 hours beyond checkout time which I thoughtbwas very nice. I recommend this place very highly.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Golden Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the Cedar Valley Resort for 4 days for a family reunion. It was my first time in southern MN, and it was such a beautiful resort! We stayed at the Big Timber lodge - 8 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms! It was the nicest lodge I've ever stayed at! It was very clean, and the grounds were breathtaking. Wildlife was roaming around, and the river was so close....the fog would be rising in the morning from the river, it was amazing. The ONLY complaint I have about the whole stay is...the bunkbeds. They were the squeakest bunkbeds I've ever seen. They were so squeaky, I had to find a different place to sleep. I wasn't the only one either, others felt the same way and ended up sleeping on the futons instead. Everything else pretty much made up for it though. The staff was very nice, I had asked to borrow a fan for white noise, and they were very accomodating. The area had lots of fun things to do...bike riding, river tubing (was a blast), and cave exploring. I look forward to staying at Cedar Valley again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kayley G
Shakopee, Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My 12 girlfriends and I have been going to Cedar Valley Resort for the past four years (will be five this spring) after trying a variety of accommodations. The owners are very helpful and friendly, the grounds are beautiful, everything is incredibly well-kept. Because we are a large group and only get together once a year, we were worried that we might might overwhelm. But, Cedar Valley is MADE for reunions! Something for everyone at the resort and nearby Lanesboro.

Room Tip: Trust whatever is recommended to you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank GrammaMiMi
Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wonderful accomodations for the entire family. Activities for all ages plus near beautiful Lanesboro n the fall bluffs. We had a sibling family getaway, with plenty of space in our 4br, 3ba cabin. Outside activity possibilities have something for everyone.

• Stayed September 2012
Brownsburg, Indiana
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I and my family love this place. We have been having our family reunion there for 7 years. The staff are great. The staff even called the cabin each evening to see if there is anything we like paper products or wood for the bonfire that we need. My wife and I enjoy it enough that we go a day early. There is nothing like sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee and watching the day begin.

The livery supplies rental bikes as well as canoe and kayak trips down the Root River. A really great part of this is that the canoe takeout is right at the resort so you do not have to wait for a pickup. The paved pathway along the river is very enjoyable, has some really great views, and an early morning ride may net you the sight of deer and other wildlife. This is not a high activity resort. Do not expect tennis or swimming pool. It is a great place for the family to get together and do some real bonding. WiFi is available but do not expect your cell phone to work other than a few spots. A great place to disconnect and live in the real world.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rand R
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This is a resort geared toward large groups. However, we stayed in their smallest cabin, Moose, during mid week in March. It was not too big for the two of us. It was very quiet with only one other cabin rented. The weather was unusually warm for March. The best thing about this place is the landscape. Other parts of Minnesota are either flat, or solid woods on a lake or river. This area is gently rolling with woods on all the hillsides and farm field between all the hills. We had breakfast and dinner on our cabin porch each day with a view of the river valley below and misty hilltops above. It was beautiful. During our two day stay which included biking and hiking, we saw a total of 14 bald eagles, 5 deer and one woodchuck. The cabins are simple and clean. The owners are gracious and helpful. We usually think of going to Northern Minnesota in order to enjoy nature. This place was just as good in a different way from a north shore experience. We look forward to coming back again. For couples wanting a quieter nature experience, I would recommend booking and off season mid week time. - Martha McDonell

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Although in a beautiful location, we were disappointed to find that none of the lodging is overlooking the river itself; In fact, the river is far enough away that the soothing noise of the river is not audible from the patio...
Also, no (typically) normal amenities are provided; no kitchen/bathroom towels, etc. So, less than ideal for those traveling from abroad.
Regardless, it IS a beautiful area, the rooms are very clean and the owners are very helpful and considerate (seeing that my wife and I had flown in from the Czech Republic, and my parents from California, they provided us with towels, in the end).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank djMaldoror
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whalan
Days Inn Winona
#1 of 1 in Chatfield
White Valley Motel
White Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Saint Charles

Been to Cedar Valley Resort? Share your experiences!