“mediocre italian”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
ct
“mediocre italian”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stopped for dinner with a few couples while in the area. Some of us had antipasti, shrimp cocktail or mozzarella sticks for appetizers. Antipasti had just 3 Italian cold cuts,2 tomatoe wedges,2 cuke slices,1 type of olive and 1 type of cheese cut in chunks (believe it was parmgiana/reggiano)..Where are the assorted olives, provolone slices, roasted peppers, marinated mushrooms etc.?? Nothing I could not prepare at home. Most of the pastas that went along with our meals were not al dente...I am not Italian, but I certainly know to cook pasta al dente. Some of us had pasta aglio and the garlic pieces were thoroughly cooked, brown, therefore making the whole dish taste overdone. Even the bread basket was disappointing with very brown toasted garlic bread, just a tad overdone to us. The chicken dishes with sauce were all kind of drab with a sauce that needed some more seasonings, maybe a dash of olive oil, and some fresh herbs. Mediocre meal at best.

• Visited April 2014

CT
“St. Valentine's Day Luncheon with Honey”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I just got back from a great lunch at Ficara's. The service was exceptional and the food was great! We ordered the hot fried peppers and eggplant rollatini (sans the prosciutto...hubby doesn't like it in his eggplant rollatini) and it was the best we've ever had! It was made fresh and served perfectly delicious. The eggplant was thin and tasty. It was cheesy but not overly cheesy.

The hot peppers weren't too hot...a nice spice and flavor to them. We ate them with their fresh hot bread and garlic bread that accompanies your meal.

I ordered the Tortellini in a light cream sauce with mushrooms, peas and prosciutto. Delicious. It was a cream sauce but not the thick and pasty kind that you can sometimes get (which I do not like!)

Hubby got their eggplant dish. He enjoyed it.

Both meals were preceded with a salad and it was iceberg (perfect for us)...

We could barely put a dent in our dishes because of the appetizers and bread...

The drinks were a costly compared to the prices of the food... The rollatini app was 5.95 and a soda was 3.50! Those prices just don't make sense to me. (We got one soda, an ice tea and a cappuccino... all three were 3.50)... next time we'll drink water! ;)

Otherwise great meal and great service!

• Visited February 2014
Bound Brook, New Jersey
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We arrived on a Sunday evening. They had a special on the menu, can't remember the name but it was an appetizer, entree and dessert. It was a big portion and very delicious! We all tried a different entree, chicken with spinach, eggplant Parmesan, spaghetti with white clam sauce and the best of them all, the breaded sole. The service was great. The restaurant was clean and the food was abundant. Great price too.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Liliana B
Hartford, Connecticut
“Delicious!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I went there for "date night" when the "Taste of Hartford" specials were running in town. We were greeted by a very nice hostess and then seated immediately. Breads were warm and delicious, as were all the courses to follow. The eggplant rollatini is amazing and a very large portion for a first course. Our salads were fresh and very good. The entrees were also excellent. The Veal Sebby was fantastic and again the portions were huge. I love their pasta sauce as well. We tried it again a month later with my 6 year old in tow, and found it to be just as good! Service on both occasions was excellent!! They are in the midst of an update on the interior, and we can't wait to go back and see how it looks and of course EAT! :-)

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Maureen L
Simsbury, Connecticut
“Ficara's has got it all!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Ficara's has got it all!! The service was fantastic & genuine. We were pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of choices on the menu including some unique & delicious dishes that you can only find at Ficara's. The portions were very generous, and our dishes tasted phenomenal. My fiancé and I were celebrating my birthday that evening, and we could not have had a better time! We recommend Ficara's to anyone & everyone! Fantastic food!

• Visited June 2013