“So excellent”
Review of Firebox Restaurant

Firebox Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Firebox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 444 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitol Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to city transportation routes, and within blocks of the train station.
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Tonight was our first visit to Firebox, but it will not be our last. We loved the atmosphere - the exposed brick, high ceilings, interesting artwork - as well as the knowledgeable, pleasant wait staff, and our meals were excellent! Service was prompt, though we never felt rushed. They accommodated our severe and less severe food allergies without batting an eye, and though preparation to accommodate our allergies required that they modify the recipes, the food was excellent. My husband ordered salad as his appetizer and the duck and said it was the best he had ever eaten, and I ordered the strip steak. Portions were generous, but I did not leave much on my plate, and my husband finished every bite. We will be back.

1  Thank LTor

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I love to come here with my girlfriends after a day at the office. This place is cool, the atmosphere is laid back but trendy! The appetizers are to die for! Everything is so fresh. The Potato leek soup is my faveeeee. I will definitely be back! Drink specials are always well thought out and always help get me thru the door considering the prices aren't that friendly. You'll see me here again!

Reviewed August 24, 2014

While traveling to college, my daughter and I were looking for a restaurant with fresh, contemporary food, similar to that which we can get in our hometown of San Francisco. We found that at Firebox. While reading about the restaurant, I was almost turned off by the emphasis on farm to table, thinking it was something other than just fresh, locally sourced food. What we discovered was thoughtfully produced food and drink of the highest quality. The first hint we were in for something special was the non-alcoholic juice we ordered. I don't recall the description (raspberry?), but often these drinks sound more delicious than they taste. This was the exception.

We were there for Sunday brunch and had both the carnitas with corn cake waffle and the salmon cakes. The carnitas dish had a sweet cherry pepper jam and was topped by a perfectly cooked sunny-side up egg. My daughter's salmon cakes were on a bed of petite corn with delicious bacon strips. The only negative for me was that the salmon cakes were deep fried. We also had a side of home fries which were perfectly salted, not greasy, and topped with a delicious sherry vinegar aioli.

Service was adequate and not quite up to par with the food. The restaurant was quiet, yet it sometimes felt like we had to get the attention of a server. Overall, however, the food and experience were both excellent. We can't wait to explore the menu further, and my daughter declared Firefox should be the "go to" restaurant whenever her parents visit.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Firebox is my #1 choice whenever near Hartford. They have always provided for a great dining experience, with great food, atmosphere and staff. This trip I had a wonderful corn chowder followed by a duck breast. How can you not have a Long Island duck breast when the locally sourced farm is on Long Island? They did a great job of serving it over wilted greens, green beans and yellow beans with plump sweet and sour golden raisins. I wish I lived closer ...

Reviewed August 10, 2014

What a treat, we had an excellent "Farm To Table Meal" at Firebox. Very hip but homey type atmosphere. Appetizers were a fresh native greens salad and another salad which comprised a plentiful offering of all heirloom tomatoes - Outstanding!! Entrees consisted of a roast pork with locally-sourced vegetables and a similar dish with a full chicken breast. Both were packed-full of flavor and infused with local farmland goodness. Dessert was a waffle ice cream sandwich and chocolate cake, again outstanding all around. An excellent dining option in Hartford, you won't be disappointed. The only drawback is the restaurant is on the edge of a "not so hot neighborhood." but no real need for concern.