“Great food and setting”
Review of Firebox Restaurant

Firebox Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Firebox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 439 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitol Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to city transportation routes, and within blocks of the train station.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great food and setting”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was in Hartford in a business trip and know nothing about the town, so I chose the Firebox based on an interesting menu and good reviews. I was not disappointed. It is in some kind of repurposed industrial building (I think), and was well designed. They have a regular menu and a "tavern menu" with some items that are obviously just "bar food" but also others that qualify as small plates or lighter meals. I asked if the steak frites would be enough for a meal and my server said yes, and it was. I think the steak was 6 ounces and it was very flavorful and cooked properly, and the fries were excellent. There was also a small salad-ette of arugula and pickled shallots which was good.

• Visited December 2013

Hartford, Connecticut
“Best Restaurant in Hartford”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I've eaten at Firebox several times, and it's the best restaurant I've been to in Hartford or West Hartford. The style is basically nouveau American, with a heavy farm-to-table slant. On recent visits I've had the squash soup, chickpea gnocchi, organic green salad, and black pearl salmon. The soup and gnocchi were good. The salad was very good, though a bit heavy on the greens relative to the other ingredients (pears, goat or feta cheese, red onions I think). The salmon was excellent: crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, sitting on roasted onions, shredded red cabbage, and fingerling potatoes. The fries are just fine, and the brussel sprouts (little ones, roasted or grilled, with bacon and a couple other things) were great. I had chocolate banana bread pudding for dessert, which was surprisingly light on the chocolate but otherwise very good, with a thin caramelized layer like on a crème brulée. The service is fine and it's not too loud.

Fairbanks, Alaska
“Excellent”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

I ate here while visiting Hartford at a conference. The food was excellent. I had the butternut squash soup, scallops, and bread pudding. Everything was delicious, well portioned (not too much), and beautifully presented. I would eat here all the time if I lived in the area.

Longmeadow, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine Fresh Food”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was impressed with Firebox! It was my first visit and I enjoyed a delicious meal that was beautifully and simply presented. The mussels were excellent, with a hint of ale and smokiness . The generous portion was enough to share, with wonderful bread for dipping all that great broth. My husband enjoyed 6 bluepoint oysters, a Connecticut favorite. My entree choice was short ribs of beef in a nice Cabernet sauce. They were tender, tasty, and fairly lean, considering the cut of meat, and also boneless. My husband enjoyed the duck breast served over cassoulet , drizzled with mole sauce. All the food flavors came through-nothing was "over-done" or or over spiced, or over the top in presentation, which I appreciate, especially in a farm to table place like this. Very nice.

Pittsburgh, PA
“Spacious, but cozy - great food”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We arrived at the firebox restaurant and were immediately seated in a lovely corner seat. There was plenty of room between tables and yet we felt tucked away. It was the start of a lovely meal. We shared the muscles, brussel sprouts, and the charcuterie for starters. All were wonderful. My duck was cooked to perfection. The two way pork was a bit bland, but still good. The chicken dish was also good. Our one vegiterian asked the chef to surprise her and the result was excellent. All in all, a wonderful meal with good food and excellent service. We will be back.