“Interesting menu”
Review of Firebox Restaurant

Firebox Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Firebox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 444 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitol Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to city transportation routes, and within blocks of the train station.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Although we had reservations on a Friday night, there was a bit of a wait. Other than that, it was a very nice evening; the menu selection was very interesting and there were several options for our daughter, who is a vegetarian. Started with the cheese plate, which was delicious. Entrees were done perfectly and the service was excellent. Would return the next time we are in Hartford.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Really great food, great bar, great staff. Says it all. Farm to Table restaurant in Hartford that has a social mission to improve the neighborhood its in. Its in an old industrial building that is pretty cool with exposed brick, etc.

Brunch is fantastic!!!!!!

They have a gay crowd that congregates on Thursday nights for happy hour.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

So I arrived at the restaurant only to check the street sign again. Am I in the right place because I was in the ghetto and if I didn't know any better I would think I'm in Compton. The free parking lot was full since it is shared with neighboring restaurants and shopping so I have to park on the street next to the bodega across the street. I honestly did not feel safe.

The outside of the restaurants looks ok but the inside looks so much better and could be a fine dining place if it wanted to. I really don't feel the restaurant belong in this neighborhood. In any case, from the live blues music to the way the staff presents themselves, it seems more like a hip, bohemian place that serves fresh food.

Food is great but presentation of food needs work. Entree portions are so small that it only took me four bites to finish the main portion of the entree. The sides overwhelm the dish.

The service is some of the worst I've ever experienced. Very unprofessional. Not once was I asked if appetizer or entree is ok. My bread came at same time as appetizer. Service is so slow that I wouldn't even say it's slow but non-existent. You can always speed up slow service by waving or calling the server but I don't even see my server. Both servers that attended me were extremely unfriendly. One had an attitude problem like she shouldn't be serving me. The other one looks like he doesn't even want to be here.

Really sad because the nice ambiance, at least inside, and the food are about four stars. Also, the person that seated me and other staff who bid me a good night were all friendly. Unfortunately, I got the two disgruntled servers.

I later found out the state Capitol building is only 3 blocks away from the restaurant. I guess all of Hartford is like this. Welcome to Hartford.

1  Thank Max D
Reviewed April 11, 2013

outstanding fresh and scrumptious food!! Always great service, fun upbeat atmosphere, great way to get people into Hartford!!

1  Thank D L
Reviewed April 9, 2013

On a weekend visit to Hartford a friend recommended Firebox Restaurant. It was a truly memorable meal and the service was prompt, enthusiastic and welcoming. We got there about 30 minutes before our reservation so we decided to eat in the bar. The staff gave us a great table and the bar area was busy but not too noisy. The vaulted ceiling is spectacular and sounds must have just drifted up into the air as opposed to bouncing off walls like they do in so many popular bars and restaurants. Conversations could be had by all. We started out with the Perfect Margarita. If you like tequila this is a must try because the drink is infused with a bit of jalapeño which gives it a tinge of bite and a great taste. Not sure you will want to drink them all night but it is a perfect and unique before dinner drink. The selection of draft beers is worthy of mention and the wine list is quite extensive and reasonable. We started out by sharing the Calamari appetizer. This is a chef's creation with fried brussels sprouts. Our waiter did warn us that it would not be your standard run of the mill calamari and it wasn't. No breading and grilled as opposed to fried. Mixed with some greens it was a perfect appetizer/salad. We tried the Organic Chicken and the Black Pearl Salmon and both were fresh, well prepared, and delicious. I would go back and have either one again....although I would probably try some of their other main course offerings.
Next time in Hartford we will make a point to go back.

1  Thank 68SteveS68