“Just ok.”
Review of Firebox Restaurant

Firebox Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Firebox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 437 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitol Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to city transportation routes, and within blocks of the train station.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just ok.”
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Went for a family Sunday brunch. The food was ok but not great. The service was great. There was a "DJ" spinning old records. Music was too loud and not a huge plus for the atmosphere. Won't be going back

Calabash, North Carolina
“Great Dinner on a Tuesday night”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

A non date night date! Great atmosphere and fantastic service and awesome food. Just what we wanted to have. The service was second to none and we will be back. Thanks for a great evening..

• Visited October 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We read about this place & were excited to go to a restaurant with antibiotic free meat, & organic produce & a supporter of local farms. The waitress was not busy & not attentive or caring. I wanted to have a drink with some sort of juice, she suggested the Dark & Stormy, I hated it. She never said anything even though I left the drink mostly untouched. My steak which I rarely ever order because I'm not a meat eater & this was supposed to be a treat arrived rare in the middle & literally charred on the outside. We waited so long for it, I didn't send it back, should have though. The waitress when she saw my steak with only 2 bites gone & I didn't want to take it home should have asked if I was happy with it. We won't go back.

Visited November 2011
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Consistent, delicious”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I've been to Firebox numerous times, mostly for dinner. Most recently, I had lunch there for my birthday with a good friend. The lunch menu is not huge, but there were many tempting options. I ultimately went with the BLT, which came on crunchy toast with super ripe tomatoes, a flavorful house-made sauce, and thick, crisp bacon. It came with fries, which were also good. My only complaint is that service was slow for lunch, and the people behind us got their food first, even though we had been seared and ordered first. My companion got the fish of the day, which was salmon, and she loved it.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great food with a great backstory behind the company and building.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

This wonderful building restored to be a restaurant features a more bar type atmosphere in the front and a more intimate dinner setting in the back. You can choose which vibe is right for you.

The food is fantastic, with a local produce angle, some of which is grown by the restaurant in their own plot on the same block. Dessert menu is a little sparse/boring but cocktail menu is great, wines look very good and the savory dishes outstanding.

Make sure to ask how the restaurant came into being and where the profits go for a great feel good story.