“Disappointing”
Review of Firebox Restaurant

Firebox Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Firebox Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 437 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capitol Avenue
Transit: Adjacent to city transportation routes, and within blocks of the train station.
Hartford, Connecticut
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We read about this place & were excited to go to a restaurant with antibiotic free meat, & organic produce & a supporter of local farms. The waitress was not busy & not attentive or caring. I wanted to have a drink with some sort of juice, she suggested the Dark & Stormy, I hated it. She never said anything even though I left the drink mostly untouched. My steak which I rarely ever order because I'm not a meat eater & this was supposed to be a treat arrived rare in the middle & literally charred on the outside. We waited so long for it, I didn't send it back, should have though. The waitress when she saw my steak with only 2 bites gone & I didn't want to take it home should have asked if I was happy with it. We won't go back.

Visited November 2011

West Hartford, Connecticut
“Consistent, delicious”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I've been to Firebox numerous times, mostly for dinner. Most recently, I had lunch there for my birthday with a good friend. The lunch menu is not huge, but there were many tempting options. I ultimately went with the BLT, which came on crunchy toast with super ripe tomatoes, a flavorful house-made sauce, and thick, crisp bacon. It came with fries, which were also good. My only complaint is that service was slow for lunch, and the people behind us got their food first, even though we had been seared and ordered first. My companion got the fish of the day, which was salmon, and she loved it.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great food with a great backstory behind the company and building.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

This wonderful building restored to be a restaurant features a more bar type atmosphere in the front and a more intimate dinner setting in the back. You can choose which vibe is right for you.

The food is fantastic, with a local produce angle, some of which is grown by the restaurant in their own plot on the same block. Dessert menu is a little sparse/boring but cocktail menu is great, wines look very good and the savory dishes outstanding.

Make sure to ask how the restaurant came into being and where the profits go for a great feel good story.

Farmington, Connecticut
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had a coupon and decided to try it. High priced but well worth it! Delicious food. Great staff. Nice atmosphere.

1 Thank Betty L
Hartford, Connecticut
“Fresh Ingredients and interesting recipes”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The menu is very creative. Combinations that you might not think of seem to work very well. Local ingredients are their signature, but they seem to be reaching farther afield these days.

Visited September 2012