“Great little bar/restaurant - with Tasty Guacamole made table-side”
Review of Agave Grill

Agave Grill
Ranked #16 of 444 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I were in Hartford for my daughter's long weekend volleyball tournament. Needed a place to watch the NFL playoffs and grab a bite. I read the reviews on Tripadvisor and went to the Agave website and saw that they had TV's and great Guacamole - so we went to give it a try. Got perfect seats at the bar to watch the game, the bartender made us some Guacamole right in front of us and brought out extra Serrano peppers, because he knew we liked it spicy. The Guac was great (especially with the extra chilies). We then tried the tuna ceviche appetizer. I've only had ceviche a couple of times, but this was scrumptious. We had intended to get an entree or two, but were pretty satisfied with just these two apps, so we went straight for dessert and split the crepas, crepes filled with assorted berries with whip cream and ice cream on top - another winner. Finally, we complemented all of this with a few drinks. They had Dos Equis lager and amber on tap. The amber was tasty. We also tried some terrific margaritas - they have a pretty good assortment. We had the Herradura Silver margarita - smooth and tasty - highly recommended. The bartender was very helpful and accommodating giving us his opinions and suggestions when we inquired - and he was right on target with them. All-in-all, Agave was just what we were looking for.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Onyx drink with a little kick was very good. I heard from many of my friends the fresh guacamole is great, but I didn't try it this time. I'll definitely go back another time to give it a try.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The food and drinks were great, staff friendly and ambience warm. Had a fun evening. The portions are very large, so you can easily share the entree. I was too full to try any desserts :-)

Reviewed January 6, 2013

one of the best Mexican restaurants in the Hartford area. Not the usual Tex-Mex. First rate apps and the best chips served immediately when you sit. Full strength margaritas and pleasant server.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Based on tripadvisor reviews, and having driven by it for years, we decided to give it a try. We made reservations as it was a busy Saturday evening right before Christmas and we were a party of 4. The place was packed which to me is a good sign. You enter into the crowded bar area, and we were promptly seated right behind the hostess stand. Tight quarters and noisy but no problem. Service was prompt and cordial but seemed hurried. Lighting was awful. That was something that sticks in my mind because I had a hard time reading the menu. Fresh, crisp multi-colored tortilla chips & a decent salsa are on the table. We started with drinks and quacamole made table side; a nice touch. Again, good but not exceptional. Three in our party, my husband one of them, ordered the mexican paella which sounded fabulous. The waiter said it was his favorite item on the menu! How could it be bad we thought! It was disappointing. A large bowl of mostly a soupy broth with some rice, not like paella at all, with a mediocre chicken wing on top and hardly enough seafood to be filling. I ordered a combination platter of tacos and enchiladas and thought it was very good, but not something I would rush back for. It all arrived so promptly, we kind of felt like they needed the table for another party despite the fact that the other room was empty! However, being that we love tequila and were meeting friends in Hartford a week later, we decided to be fair and give them a second chance and meet there just for drinks. It was a Friday evening at 5pm and the place was practically empty! I was disappointed with my Patron Margarita on my 1st visit, so I aked the waitress if she had a recommendation. She was knowledgeable, friendly, and steered me in the right direction. La Fresca Margarita made with fresh squeezed juices and agave necter was refreshing and delicious. My husband and friends enjoyed a new anejo tequila with their sangrita chaser. Though we chose not to eat dinner here, my overall opinion of Agave is that I think it's a better place for greats drinks and apps then anything else.