“Best grinders in (or out of) town”

Franklin Giant Sandwich Shop
Ranked #56 of 446 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I've been going here since the early sixties, when it was operated out of a much smaller store. The grinders here are the best I've ever had, and I've been to every grinder shop in the area--and in other cities as well. My favorite: sausage. For vegetarians: eggplant is almost as good.

1  Thank Jack D

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The place is filthy, the staff is beyond rude, and the food is barely adequate for the price. When you walk in the door you will be greeted with a cold scowl, or a look of exasperation that another customer could possibly want something. I've been there at least 20 times and never once was greeted with anything but malice. 10 bucks for half a grinder!

1  Thank Tom W
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We aren't normally in Hartford but were there for a high school sporting event and made sure to visit this restaurant for take-out while we were nearby. We've been here a number of times in recent years and my mother has been going to Franklin Giant Grinder since she was in nursing school nearby. The grinders are always delicious and huge. We always end up taking about half of the grinder home because there's just so much on it. We've had their meatball & sausage and their roast beef and all have been very fresh and delicious.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My teenage son and I went over after being told about the subs at Franklin Giant Grinder. We ordered two sub, a turkey and a pastrami. Both were very good. The bread tasted like it was just made, the meat was tasty. Needless to say there was a lot left over. A great value and a great meal.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

They are big, messy, and in demand. Order ahead and get plenty of napkins. This is not a fancy place and great to go to for carryout (think of getting a bunch of these on your way through Hartford on the way to skiing or the beach!) if you can stand to wait to eat them. Really good.