“Possibly the best hot dogs in the country.”
Review of Woodys - CLOSED

Woodys
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed November 11, 2015 via mobile

The little lady and I spent the day walking around Downtown Hartford. All the walking made us hungry and even though we had planned on going to Woody's, we actually happened to be passing by around the time we were getting hangry. I am not a big hot dog fan and normally I need to be in the mood however, I think I could eat at Woody's daily. Honestly, I want one now. I've heard Connecticut has the best hot dog's in the country, well I am definitely willing to believe it now. This place is awesome. The owners/operators are as good as the food. A sweet old couple that seem to love what they do. The wife had the Southern Slawdog, coleslaw and chili. I had the Chicago dog and it was delicious. Foot-long, perfectly grilled on a toasted bun. Seriously, the best hot dog I ever had. Nothing even comes close. Plus, they serve curly fries. Just a heads up, they're a cash only restaurant. Do yourself a favor and go here.

Date of visit: October 2015
2  Thank quirkycuisine
themanaroundtown, Owner at Woodys, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2017

thank you very much. We now except visa and master card and have extended our hours on the weekend. 11:30-7:00 Thursday ,Friday , sat.

Reviewed June 15, 2015

This review has nothing to do with the food. I was visiting Hartford last week and planned to go to Woody's so I checked their website 2 weeks ago to get the hours. Their site indicated they closed at 3:00 everyday, but also indicated there are expanded hours in the summer. Since I was not able to get to downtown Hartford before 3:00 I called to find out the hours. I was told the summer hours had not yet been determined, that I should call back the following week. I did. The day before, I called to ask for the hours that week and was told they closed at 3:00 on Wednesday and at 7:00 on Thursday and Friday. So on Thursday at 4:30 I drove 45 minutes out of my way, paid $5 to park downtown to find them closed. There was an employee outside washing a rubber mat. When I told him about the info I received the day before, the response was "try again tomorrow, Pal". I can only suggest that regardless of the posted or stated hours...go before 3:00.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank travelpage
Reviewed June 11, 2015

I loved this little hot dog shop. The hot dogs were amazing and is a must while traveling through Hartford. The only downside to this place was that it closes at 3pm on weekdays. If you can make it in time, it will be an experience well worth your money. I recommend the Deputy Dog (but so will everyone else). The Dogfather is also great! Easily the best hot dogs I've had.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank theCheezums
Reviewed April 22, 2015

Don't let GPS fool you....No outdoor signage in Downtown Hartford....but if you find it (and hours are short most days)....WOW>.....Get the Deputy Dog to go for the tradition but all the dogs we tried were awesome.....The toppings are the cherry on a great sundae of quality meat and well toasted roll....MUST DO if you are a "dog person"!!!

Date of visit: April 2015
2  Thank CoachK2525
Reviewed January 12, 2015

Small place that you can get to from Main Street or Pratt Street. We each had the Deputy Dog which were on nicely grilled buns. The deputy dog is a hot dog topped with pulled pork and cheese. They were very good and very filling. Also had some tasty fries. We stopped after a UCONN basketball game and the place was busy with the staff working hard to take care of the hungry but patient customers. If you like hot dogs give this place try.

Date of visit: January 2015