“Best in Class.”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 437 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Connecticut
“Best in Class.”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

If you are reading this considering whether to go to Capital Grille, the cost must not be a concern...either you can afford it, or someone else is paying. This is not a place for the 99%. However, if you find yourself going here, be very happy. I've been to Mortons and R.Chris and if an old-fashioned, clubby steak house is what you want, this is the place to go...great food, service galore (led by Liz), free valet parking and an attractive interior.

Four of us ate here, well-armed with gift certificates, thankfully. First, the bread offered was terrific...three kinds, much thought and care given to them. Then we had the calmari appetizer (the best I've ever had) and lobster bisque (quite good). Entrees were the Delmonico steak, the porcini-rubbed Delmonico (two raved about it) and my Filet Oscar. Terrific. Asparagus and scalloped potatoes were nice, if $10 more apiece.

Capital Grille knows what it's doing and is a welcome addition to the Hartford scene. I hope it does well.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank nagled

Shanghai, China
“Excellent Choice in Downtown Hartford”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This past March visited Capital Grille with my wife, brother in-law and sister in-law for dinner and was amazed we were eating such a fine meal in downtown Hartford. The atmosphere and food were superb and the wait staff was friendly and did a great job in making us feel welcome. The wine list is very impressive and the steaks and oysters were both delicious. What I noticed most of all was even though it was an upscale place it was not stuffy or pretentious. In a word I would characterize it as simply "classy." I hope restaurants like the Capital Grille are a sign of things to come for Downtown Hartford. I will surely go back any chance I get. Keep up the good work, bravo.

• Visited March 2014
Middletown, Connecticut
“Excellent 40th Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

What an amazing night! First, I booked reservations online with the occasion and our names. I never actually spoke to anyone. When we arrived, they greeted us by name and they had the table set up with a birthday card and decorations. We ordered drinks that were delicious, especially their signature pineapple drink. For appetizers, we ordered the chopped salad and the calamari. Our waiter, Alex, put the food on our plates for us, which is definitely the sign of fine dining. Prior to our meal arriving, we were given 2 hot towels for our hands. I ordered the porcini steak with 15 year balsamic glaze. It was tasty and delicious! My husband ordered the tuna with a lobster tail side. It was cooked to perfection. As we were finishing up our meal, we heard a loud coughing noise coming from a nearby table. The manager, Chris quickly went over as the man was getting up from his table in obvious distress and gave him the heimlich maneuver. The man was able to sit back down and finish his meal. It was amazing to us at how quickly Chris acted and then how seamlessly he continued to greet people at their tables and ask how their meals were. I was so impressed with every aspect of the Capital Grille, from the service to the food...oh yeah, and the desserts! They brought out the cheesecake with fresh berries for my husband with a candle and we ordered the hazelnut chocolate cake...both incredible! It made my husband's 40th birthday celebration very special.

Visited April 2014
Southport, Maine
“Oasis in a Busy City”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Last year I attended a conference at the Convention Center in Hartford, CT. Because I was the only person from my company setting up, I spent an exhausting day doing so alone. After the opening hours that evening, I left the center, looking for a place to eat and relax after a very tiring day. Right across the street was a Capital Grille. I had been to other Capital Grilles in years past and always had a good meal, so I decided to walk no further and have a much needed dinner at this one.
When I entered the restaurant, I spoke to the manager, Lee Kopel, and asked for a table for one. He told me that there were no free tables at that time. Would I mind waiting. I told him that I had had an extremely exhausting day and needed to eat and relax. He was very gracious and told me to wait a minute and they would set up a table for me. This the staff did in a few minutes and soon I found myself sitting at a quiet table looking at the menu. I first choose a wine which was brought to me promptly by my accommodating waiter, David Tonello, and I then ordered a salad and a T-bone steak. The salad was fresh and substantial and my steak was cooked to perfection. The meal and the excellent wine were exactly what I needed, and I felt refreshed and ready to return to the conference!
Every experience I have ever had at a Capital Grille has been a great one!

• Visited November 2013
Agawam, Massachusetts
“First Class and Excellent Food”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

It was a wonderful birthday surprise having dinner at the Capital Grille in Hartford, CT a couple of nights ago. Located at 44 Front Street, directly across from the Hartford Convention Center and Marriott Hotel, it is easily accessible from the major highways. The valet parking is very convenient and the attendant was very polite. We were a few minutes early for our reservation and went to the bar to enjoy a cocktail before dinner.

We sat directly at the bar and waited, even waving our arms to get the attention of any bartender, as there were multiple, who all seemed preoccupied with anything but waiting on customers. For a very classy establishment they really need to work on customer service in this bar. Unfortunately, this is not the first time we have had this problem here which makes it even more frustrating! Not only was the problem lack of service but when waited on, the bartender had a very bad attitude. Hopefully this review will be read and acted upon. This is the only reason the rating is not "excellent."

The hostess was very pleasant and brought us to our table in the main dining room which is inviting and elegant. Our table was covered in confetti and a card was signed by the staff wishing me a "Happy Birthday." Our waiter was pleasant and answered all the questions we had about the menu and the selection of wine. They offer more than 350 wines from around the world so there were many choices by the glass and by the bottle.

An assortment of delicious breads arrived at the table and our order was taken quickly. The Caesar Salad was delicious and was the perfect size. We both enjoyed the Sliced Filet Mignon with Cipollini Onions and Wild Mushrooms, done to a perfect medium-rare. The sides of Au Gratin Potatoes and Grilled Asparagus were the perfect pairings with this dish. We enjoyed a wonderful Cabernet Sauvignon recommended by our server. Dessert was a slice of Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake topped with berries and whipped cream and was delivered with a candle and "happy birthday"! Everything about this romantic and elegant dinner was perfect and we look forward to returning again soon.

Hopefully they will remedy the issues with the bar personnel as this appears to be an on-going problem. Everything else about the Capital Grille was excellent and highly recommend.

• Visited April 2014