“Best Lobster Rolls in New England!!”
Review of J's Crabshack

J's Crabshack
Ranked #11 of 439 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Bartow, Florida, USA
“Best Lobster Rolls in New England!!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Every time I am in Hartford, CT my cousins always takes me to this place. I have yet to find another place that makes lobster roll. The bread is soft and delicious and they give you so much lobster that you don’t feel cheated on your seafood.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Hinditina

Denver, Colorado, United States
“nothing fancy, just a great place for fresh seafood!”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I got into town late and was dying for good fish. one little problem. it was 8:20 and the kitchen closed at 8:45. the hostess handed the phone off to Jay as my panic set in that I was going to be shut out for the night. not only did he give me directions from Cromwell but he assured me he'd have my food waiting when I got there.

I am SO glad I made the 25 minute trip!

there is a reason J's is ranked among the best in Hartford. not only are the prices reasonable but the choices are excellent and the fish is extremely fresh. the restaurant is set back behind the retail displays of seafood which looked amazing . the bay scallops were absolutely perfect served over a bed of seasoned rice and a side of cole slaw, everything was perfect.

there are fancier places to visit and you will pay more money. doubt the food will be any better than you can get at J's. I'm going back tomorrow for the steamers!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank rtbasic
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“Sorry, Naysayers”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This place is FANTASTIC! The fish is ALWAYS fresh, the staff is friendly, prices are reasonable, and the food is superb. If you are a fan of the best deafood in town without a lick of pretense, this is THE place!!! LOVE the Crabshack!

• Visited June 2012
Hartford
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Michelle Makes the visit to J's Special!”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I've been going to J's since it was called Tinkers and I don't know how there can be any bad reviews. I've never had anything other than fresh, steaming hot food. The fries might not be covered in salt but there is salt and pepper, ketchup, hot sauce and malt vinegar on every table. As much as I love fish and chips, my other go to meal is the much healthier giant salad with grilled salmon. Ive never been disappointed in my food. I don't understand what the big deal is about having to order at a counter and pick up your own utensils. If this place was located on the beach, instead of in the middle of the city, I don't think this would be such an issue for people. Personally, I like ordering at the counter because whenever I've gone, I've been lucky enough to have the MOST pleasant Michelle behind the counter. She's able to move a line along and make every customer feel special at the same time. No matter how busy it is, she's always cheerful and she remembers returning customers so you feel like you're visiting family. Give this place a chance, don't expect fine dining, just good beachy food...in the middle of the city!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank P M
W. Hartford, CT
“It's just okay, nothing special”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is a no frills restaurant. You order at the counter and your food is brought to you in a plastic basket or on a paper plate. You help yourself to plastic eating utensils. Prices are reasonable and the seafood is just ok. Mostly it is fried and served with french fries which are not worth eating. My whole belly clams were good, but the fries and cole slaw were poor. My wife ordered non-fried stuffed shrimp, again served with the same fries. The shrimp were ok but the stuffing was just breading, and a ton of it, that had little taste.

• Visited April 2012