“Excellent Mexican food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Connecticut
“Excellent Mexican food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I've traveled through most of Mexico on 4 trips, so I've had a chance to become familiar with its cuisines. Monte Alban reminds me of that food without disappointment. Unlike Mexican chains that overfill one's plate with gooey cheese, Monte Alban uses authentic ingredients, such as cotija, appropriately and in good balance. These aren't the heavy, greasy dishes that you find in the chains; they're lighter and fresher tasting but still filling and ample. The menu is large, and everyone should be able to find something pleasing here. Fortunately, there are combination plates that allow diners to try a couple different items at a time, because it will be hard to make a choice from so many delicious-sounding foods. Good for children because there are so many well-known foods. Also, don't worry too much about spicyness. It's not all hot peppers; many dishes are flavorful without much heat. The restaurant is a bit dark and boxy, but they've painted the walls in vibrant colors to liven it up. Casual dining. I recommend it!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Hartford, Connecticut
“salty food and they insisted I pay for something I took one bite of”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

I ordered a dish that should have been spicy. It tasted like I put salt on my tongue, thats how salty it was. It was not edible. They insisted I pay for it and when I asked if I could have at least another dish, they said NO. These are not nice people. I am a good person and visit a lot of restaurants and have never seen or heard of such appaling ignorant behavior. Apparently a lot of people like this place and something happened to my order, but they wouldnt even listen. He said, You ordered it, you have to pay for it. I thought of refusing, but didnt want to have to talk to the Hartford police, because I didnt have time to wait. AND it was mothers day. When I called them later on to explain, thinking it has to be a mistake, they laughed at me and still didnt care. Dont visit this place. They are horrible people.

• Visited May 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I thought I was in the Valley of Oaxaca.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

Monte Albán has offered me a little vacation. I thought I was in the Valley of Oaxaca. The pork chops actually tasted like pork! All of you classic favorites will please you.

• Visited July 2012
“Best Mexican food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

This is the place to go for authentic Mexican food. It is not texmex with cheddar cheese and sour cream. If you want the real thing, eat here. If you want a big blue Marguerita, eat somewhere else.

Boulder, Colorado
“Our favorite Mexican restuarant in New England”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

We are Californians. We are very picky about our Mexican food. Very. Monte Alban is the best that we can find in New England. It is authentic, tasty, and the family that runs it are very, very kind. They remember all of their repeat customers and the owner always comes by our table to chat. In addition, we often find Mexican families eating there, so we know it's the "real thing".

• Visited December 2011