“Excellent food”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Trumbull Street
Description: The crown jewel of the Hartford, Connecticut dining scene, Max Downtown has been serving its guests for over 21 years and remains a fan favorite. After a top-to-bottom renovation in the summer of 2017, the restaurant has never looked (or tasted) better.
Reviewed December 23, 2018 via mobile

Great place to eat fine food. A large group with several ordering duck, bison, steaks, and pasta. A fine selection of alcoholic drinks and the dessert menu didn’t disappoint either. Our waiter recommended several items and everyone left the table happy. No complaints in our group.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed December 11, 2018

Max is a Hartford icon and well deserved. The food is consistently excellent and the service is well trained and professional. I am not a huge fan of the modern updated décor. I perhaps miss the prior incarnation with white table clothes and a but more stuffy atmosphere. The new update has a bit more casual bistro feel. Undoubtedly better for a younger crowd. But max remains the see and be seen spot in downtown with food commensurate to its reputation.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 5, 2018

while i do not do lots of high end entertaining i took my staff here for our holiday party
the attention to detail, the quality of the food and just general overall service is so very nice to encounter. The pricing is not that high and i will be a more frequent visitor .
let me just give you a sample of how good they are...they have a desert person who has a window where he makes deserts..i saw cookies(my weakness) and kidded with him that at least i knew what i would have as an appetizer...fast forward...we were rushing out to a play so no time for desert...when i passed by him i told him i would have to come back tor cookies another day.....some of my party were behind me as i needed to make sure we had all the tickets for my office...when they arrived they had two small packages of cookies compliments of this guy....how often would you see this?
my kudos to everyone there as they are "different" in such a great way

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 18, 2018

Max Downtown
185 Asylum St.
Hartford Ct.
Attending a sporting event in Hartford recently we decided on an early dinner at Max Downtown. It’s been a few years since my last visit and now I’m wondering why it’s taken so long. There have been some recent terrific renovations but thank goodness the quality is still awesome. First and foremost, this establishment has a terrific bar. They offer an upscale and varied selection of whiskeys, scotches and any other liquor you may fancy. I am partial to the chilled vodka martinis and love their presentation. Regardless of what you order it’s assured to be properly prepared. For appetizers we sampled Roasted Oysters and Lobster cocktail. The entrée included Tomahawk Ribeye, Pan Seared Scallops and Black Pearl Salmon. If your downtown and want a treat yourself to a great dinner, stop in.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed November 9, 2018

Really enjoyed our lunch at Max's the other day. I had the pork special and she had a salad. Seated quickly, great service by our server and food was tasty and correct temp.

Date of visit: November 2018