“Always a Great Stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of City Steam Brewery

City Steam Brewery
Ranked #6 of 432 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hartford, CT Restaurant with the Finest Handcrafted Beer, Live Comedy and Upscale Casual Cuisine in an Historic Setting.
PHILADELPHIA
“Always a Great Stop”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Traveling from Philly to New Hampshire, City Steam is always our lunch stop. Hot chock. for me as the driver, and beer for the passenger, we always enjoy the large variety of both food and drinks. On this visit, we had a California Wrap, and the soup/salad/and half a sandwich deal. The atmosphere is alway lively and the service was great. Though we have not been here for the happy hour, it certainly seems like it would be a great place to enjoy time with friends and/or watch sports on the many t.v.s surrounding the bar.

• Visited February 2014

Tampa, Florida
“Service is terrible”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The service here is terrible. If it wasn't for the beer then my rating would have been worse. I ordered the Great plains bison burger with a side of "Fresh Fruit". The Burger was ok but not the best; the fruit was terrible, it was soggy and definitely not fresh. I was here last year in May and i can say that the service was far better than this last time. With all of the selections of restaurants in downtown Hartford i will definitely head elsewhere next time i am in town.

• Visited January 2014
Laurel G, Manager at City Steam Brewery, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Although I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our handcrafted brews, I did just want to follow up in regards to the rest of your visit. I will definitely look into the quality of the fruit last Friday as "soggy" is not what we aim for! I would like to know a little more about the service you encountered. There is no excuse for anything but exceptional service. As a high volume restaurant, especially as busy as we were on Valentine's Day, we pride ourselves on our ability to bring attentive and individualized service to our guests, and that the fact that you encountered anything that we would deem sub-par is a concern. If you don't mind taking a few minutes to shoot me an email with some more details (approximately what time you were here, where you were seated, if you know who your server was, etc), it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Laurel--marketing@citysteam.biz
West Hartford, Connecticut
“Lousy Food”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I'm not a drinker so maybe it's OK as a bar, but the food is worse than frozen stuff you can buy at a warehouse store.

• Visited January 2014
lgreen22, Manager at City Steam Brewery, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
In regards to your most recent visit, I'm disappointed that you found the food "lousy." Rarely have I heard such a harsh word to describe our food, so I'm interested to hear a little more about your experience. I'd like to know if this was the first time you dined with us, what you had, when you were here, and what, specifically, was wrong with your food. If you wouldn't mind shooting me an email, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Laurel; marketing@citysteam.biz
Westborough, Massachusetts
“Great brew and food”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Great selection of beer and very good menu. Had the Philly chicken sandwich which was fantastic. Could have easily split it with someone else. Husband had vegetable wrap which was equally good. On Sundays they aren't open until 4

Visited January 2014
Sayreville, New Jersey
“Pleasantly Surprised - really good beer and food”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I am a self-professed beer geek and I am always willing to try out small brewpubs. I was driving from New Jersey to Boston for the weekend and was looking for a place to stop for dinner. An internet search of CT brewpubs led me to City Steam Brewery in Hartford - which was not to far from the highway and their beer list looked interesting (more than just a few basic styles). I first looked for a spot at the bar, but the place was pretty packed with a Friday happy hour crowd. I got a table instead and ordered a flight of 5 beers. I got a wheat ale, a Belgian IPA, an oatmeal stout, a Horizon hopped porter, and a "Careless Love" - a strong amber ale flavored with oak and vanilla. The beers were all solid, with the last two being real standouts. The Careless Love was a revelation - a very interesting and different ale and I enjoyed trying it. The beers also went well with an excellent burger. My server, Rich Thorpe, was both attentive and patient with my increasingly difficult questions about their beers and brewing. He insisted that I try their Gerry Mulligan - an Imperial IPA - which was excellent. To be quite honest, I expected to find a bunch of good but mundane beers at City Steam, but the place was a pleasant surprise with some distinctive standout beers. I would definitely look to stop there again next time I head up to Boston.

• Visited January 2014
Matt, thanks for the kudos! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed some nice brews and excellent service. We're always adding new beers to the draft list, so I'm sure we'll have something new for you to try next time you're in. Please shoot me an email next time you come through!
Laurel, marketing@citysteam.biz