“Fun Night Out with Old Friends”
Review of City Steam Brewery

City Steam Brewery
Ranked #10 of 447 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hartford, CT Restaurant with the Finest Handcrafted Beer, Live Comedy and Upscale Casual Cuisine in an Historic Setting.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We hit this restaurant/bar because it was right downstairs from the hotel I was staying at with old friends. We started out in the restaurant where we all got beers and appetizers. The Nachos were a little below average, absolutely nothing to write home about, but the Fried pickles, Tator Tots, Waffle Fries and Risotto Fritters were really yummy. Our servers throughout the night got the job done, but they were nothing exceptional either. What City Steam does best though is their Beer! After "dinner", we headed into the bar (younger crowd, we are early 40's and definitely were the oldest) where there was a small band playing covers and people were dancing (how fun). It was packed, but we lucked into a table and had a great night. We had 2 waitresses in the bar area and 1 was definitely cranky, but the other was fine (again, got the job done without any extra effort). I would definitely recommend the restaurant to anyone and since we didn't have a traditional dinner, I feel like my review is incomplete but the bar area is a great place for drinking great beer with old friends.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stopped here on a whim for a quick dinner while driving back from NYC a few days ago. There was a lot of traffic on the road so my significant other pulled out her smartphone and found this place after a few searches on Yelp. We got off the highway and easily found the place and parked.

We walked over and were escorted to a table on the very top floor of this restaurant/comedy club/cafe/brewery. I'm not sure where they got the cafe part of their name as I found it to be a restaurant. I didn't explore it fully though, the place is pretty big.

Their main shtick is that they brew their own beers and have over a dozen available for the enjoyment of their patrons alongside some food. From pizzas and salads to burgers and staples like chicken piccata, most dishes are under $17. Our waitress, Virginia was absolutely outstanding and very friendly. She was also very attentive and was able to make some great recommendations.

I personally went for the French onion soup ($6) which was okay but far from great. However they definitely redeemed themselves with their (cobb $10 for a small) salad which I got as well and which was platted with some gorgonzola vinaigrette. It was tasty, pretty decently sized for a small-sized salad and best of all, the dressing wasn't fatty and thick but instead was light and refreshing. A great twist for a classic dish.

The beers themselves were hit or miss but mostly better than average although they were out of the one that I really wanted to try. Their desserts looked appetizing but we decided to forego that option as we were quite full. My significant other enjoyed her Sriracha chicken sandwich and beers as well.

All in all this was a pretty good stop. The place while big and busy wasn't chaotic and they've done a good job at spreading out everyone and keeping the noise and disturbances to a minimum with their quirky setup. They have tons of events going on and their comedy show seems to be a hit as well. Not bad if you want affordable food and some decent beers.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I went here for our wedding anniversary dinner after a CT Whale hockey game. The decor is very nice and the food and drinks were very tasty. Our server was Amy, and she went out of her way to check on us, make us feel welcome, and shoot the breeze with us for a couple minutes at one point. One of the managers, Connor, also was really cool too. Would definitely go back here in the future! :)

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Huge restaurant and good food and good beer. Fresh ingredients used in the dishes and it show. By the way could you please check the Asian Slaw -- very fresh and crunchy but the dressing did not taste asian nor did it have any taste. needs some soy and some lemon and perhaps a tad bit of ginger.

Other than that we had the tacos and chicken and they were good

Reviewed December 13, 2012

From the hostess to servers, including Shawna, are wonderful. Spent the week in town in business and liked this place so much, I went back twice. Food was great and the place really has character. The beer is hreat, tried 3 different styles and all were very good. Living in Tampa we have a few local brews and this place is as good and in some ways even better.