“Another great holiday stay at the Hartford Marriott!”

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I stay at the Hartford Marriott a few times a year while visiting family. I love how easy it is to get in and out of from the highway, very convenient.

Again the front desk staff was exceptional. I made a mistake on my reservation and they quickly moved me to a new room, no questions asked. I always make great use of the Starbucks in the lobby. The holiday decorations throughout the hotel were a nice touch, very classy and not overstated.

The top two attributes in this hotel, IMO, are cleanliness and safety. The entire hotel is always spotless, elevators, public bathrooms, guest rooms, restaurants... everywhere. Secondly, I always feel very safe here and that is important to me as a woman that often travels alone. The hotel is very well lit and staff are very attentive.

Thanks again to the holiday staff for making my stay safe and comfortable!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank masairain
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Thank you for your review- We love hearing from our guests and are ecstatic you enjoy staying with us! All of our guest's input is valued and taken to heart. I will pass your kind words along to our staff as they love to hear they are doing a great job!
We look forward to seeing you soon, -Marriott Hartford Downtown

Reviewed December 28, 2010

A modern high-rise full-service Marriott downtown alongside a convention center. This is usually a formula for excellent service and splendid facilities. (OK, such places can be slightly cold and impersonal in the tradition of business hotels, but they're usually splendid nevertheless.)

The Hartford Marriott is none of these things.

It's an imposing enough tower, and it has the potential to be a 4-star hotel. It's a hard struggle to justify 3 and a half. Given the rates the Marriott charges, this is abyssmal.

Typical of downtown hotels, the garage is a rip: $19 a day. But a lot of the spaces are a long, long walk from the hotel - much of the best parking gets eaten up early by convention center business. So in the winter, you're hauling luggage a long way through a cold, drafty garage - unless you want to spring extra money for valet service. This is just a poor way to greet visitors.

The desk area and lobby are fine, but surprisingly bland and lifeless - even by chain hotel standards. The Farmington, Stamford and Rocky Hill Marriotts all manage to have some inviting, warm or attractive features to their lobbies: This hotel looks like a decorator threw some decent but bland chairs and sofas out, and called it a day.

Indeed, that's the theme throughout here. Maybe the carpenters or concrete workers were called in to serve double duty as designers, too; this place is plenty functional, but it has no theme, no "feel," no identity at all. And again, I'm usually a fan of chain business-class hotels - I'm not looking for Disney here, just a tiny spark of life or thought. There's none.

The elevators have some weird pseudo-sultry voice recording that makes "18th floor" sound like a come-on. It's out of place here.

The 22nd floor pool & gym area should be exceptional. They're not. The views are exquisite, and the hours are surprisingly generous for any hotel in 2010 - 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. But the decor makes me me think the builders simply ran out of money; a few deeply uncomfortable wooden chairs and deck chairs, 3 plants and nothing else. The hot tub is excellent - but it's not tile, it's that cheap stainless steel that makes you feel like you're in a lobster pot.
America's fortunes have sunk quite a bit since the older Marriotts were built, and I know we can't expect anything quite as lavish as Stamford or Farmington used to be in their heyday. But the cheap-skating with this new one went too far; the locker rooms are spartan, tiny, and devoid of any hint of elegance or luxury. A single shower, no amenities, and the charm of a Beefsteak Charlies men's room

Worse, there's something awfully funky about the pool reception area. One day, a guy in a tie spent the entire evening hanging around - swinging a set of keys, and acting like a very suspicious and bored security guard in plainclothes. This is ridiculous. Maybe 4 people in the gym, 2 or 4 in the pool - and they've got a rent-a-cop with attitude? Truly, he spent an hour sitting at a table staring at nothing - but periodically looking up to glare at guests.

The rooms, like the hallways, are still fresh & the carpet colors are still new enough to be vibrant. Pleasant enough furnishing, nice views, excellent heating system (this is important & rare in downtown hotels in the winter, as any business traveler knows).

The front desk staff was very good, the room service folks were great. But Housekeeping left a beer can on our windowsill from the previous guest, and at 8:02 a.m. was banging HARD on the door with that sing-song "House-keeeeeeping." Come on, this place charges way too much to pull that Super 8 nonsense.

Problem is, there's clearly nobody who is really managing this place - not from the point of view of a customer service manager, at least.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DonInConnecticut
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I stayed at the Hartford Marriott for two nights during a business trip. The hotel is quite newly built with nice and spacious rooms and up-to-date facilities. The location close to the business district is very convenient. Usage of computers with internet in the business center is for free, which has been a pleasant surprise.
Service has been good, making it a pleasant stay overall.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2010

The Hartford Marriott is like most Marriotts: nice rooms, clean, room service, etc. However, the hotel has a poor gift shop/sundries. If you forgot any bathroom supplies, need a quick snack or something to drink, the gift shop/sundries area is bare bones. Also, the business center is quite poor. I arrived on a Sunday and it was closed and you are unable to even enter the room with your key. They have one self service computer located in the hallway that doesn't work. When I went back on Monday, it was open, but the computers didn't work. The manager called IT but still couldn't get them running.

Simply put, if you are looking for just a room, it is a fine hotel. If you need more and expect more when you pay for a full blown Marriott than this is not the place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I stayed here for a short term business trip. First off make sure to check out the directions on the website as my TOMTOM ended up putting me on a different street then the hotel.

The hotel was excellent and was close to everything. You are a short walk to the convention center and about a 10 minute walk to more restaurants than you can think of.

Upon arriving the staff was very courteous and professional. Even the bellman who came to my car with a cart was friendly when I told him I didn't need his assistance. Upon entering the hotel you are in an update open style lobby. There are comfortable couches in case someone needs to sit while you wait for check in. There is also a nice lounge area with a starbucks attached. Check in was quick and efficient. I asked for an upgrade and they put me at the end of the hallway on the club level so I had 2 beautiful views from the window.
The room was perfect. The beds seem to be newer and they offer a selection of pillows here which was nice. I was comfortable with the ones I had so I can't comment on the service.

This leads to the one issue I had. I was on the club level and utilized it a couple of times during my stay. The last day of my stay was when I had a problem. It was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and I was done with work and I had slept in. I had gone to the lounge at 8:55 and when I arrived the person in the front said "Just so you know I'm closing everything up in five minutes." That's right no good morning, welcome, etc. It was essentially saying I want to get the hell out of here so you have five minutes. I acknowledged her statement and asked for some coffee. She sighed and said I don't think there is any left. I then asked her if she could make some and she miraculously came back with a paper cup of coffee. I could see she was annoyed so I went up to grab some breakfast. I filled up two plates with cereal, bagel, yogurt, and some fruit. Knowing I only had five minutes I didn't want to take a chance. As I sat down a couple came into the lounge and the hostess said. I'm sorry we close at 9:00. I'm breaking down so you can take from what I haven't broken down all ready. When the guest stated to her that the book in the hotel room stated it closed at 10:00 AM. She said "Yeah I know, its a mistake." No I'm sorry, I apologize that its wrong, she was very rude to them. They scrambled to get some breakfast and had asked for coffee and this time she told them she was out but there was a Starbucks downstairs. I sat there in astonishment to her reply and just shook my head. I understand she probably wanted to leave because of the upcoming holiday but at least show some customer service. I can't believe someone would treat guests like this on a club level. As these are typically your silver, gold, and platinum members.

I had told the front desk agent when I checked out but she shrugged her shoulders and said "really?" Once again no apology.

All in all it was a good hotel. Maybe that person was having a bad day. I'd just say make sure you grab breakfast before 8:55 AM. :)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2010

Breakfast was sumptuous (by the standards of other restaurants in the area)....check for corporate rates....will work out much cheap...you will find a slightly elder crowd around but all in all nice place to stay

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I highly recommend this hotel! The club is really nice too. I was there for a wedding and had a great time! Starbucks in the hotel and a beautiful restaurant are both pluses! If you are a Marriot Silver Member it's even better!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank bbab06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Radisson Hotel Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
#6 of 12 in Hartford

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!