“Leave your Marriott status at the door”

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for the ING Hartford Marathon. I had visited this hotel once before while in the city for a wedding and was looking forward to staying here - the lobby area is quite impressive and gives the sense of a grand flagship Marriott. However this is where the tie to typical Marriott excelence ends.

For starters, this is the first time I tried using Marriott's mobile check-in application for the iPhone. It was pointless and a waste of good mobile data. When I arrived I was still required to stand in the same check-in line as I would have done otherwise in order to receive my keys. Granted, there was an iPad to the left of the check-in desk that seemed to indicate "something" but when I approached it I was quickly told to "get in line". I can't say if the pointlessness of the app is the fault of the hotel or of the brand, but I'm not going to try using it again anytime soon.

While standing in line, I clearly heard each guest infront of me be given a 2pm checkout - excellent since the race wouldn't be ending until after 11am and having a warm base to return to to shower and store baggage is part of the reason we chose to stay in a hotel to begin with.

When I finally came to the front of the line I was asked for my CC and license and when they were returned I was shocked with the silence - I wasn't given the customary "thank you for being a gold member". I am perfectly aware of how arrogant that sounds, but I have stayed in dozens of Marriott properties and each time been given that acknowledgement. In the past I never really paid attention to it, but after not hearing it on this stay, I have come to realize how personal it makes the initial interaction with the hotel staff.

When asked for a late checkout, we were only given until noon - two hours sooner than everyone else before (and as we would find out, after). No reason was given, it was noon and that was it.

(Note: the next day when it became obvious that 12pm would simply not work, we pressed the issue and were given the same check out as the rest of the race participants).

The room wasn't great - it wasn't awful, but I have had better room for far less money at other Marriott properties. The bed was old and disfigured. The AC did not work. There was a slight mildew smell. If the lobby hadn't been so well trimmed, I think the room's shortcomings would have gone unnoticed; but it's obvious that ownership wanted to give people passing through on their way to convention center events a false impression of the quality of hotel.

Next time I'm in Hartford I will bypass this Marriott and go back to the Residence Inn. Its an older hotel but better maintained and offers more Marriott Rewards members, even if that's just a welcoming feeling.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank josephcouture
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Joseph, first, I would like to thank you for being a continuous Marriott guest and a Marriott gold member. Furthermore, Thank you for sharing your review with us, we value all the feedback we receive from our guests as it helps us to constantly improve. I am very sorry to hear about the complications during your stay, namely, the confusion over the late checkout. I want to assure you that the experience you describe in your review does not meet the standards to which we hold our property. We hope to see you again next year to show you a proper experience.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel while we were in Hartford to support our granddaughter's running in the Hartford Marathon. The service in all areas of the hotel were excellent and started at the front entrance while the attendants took our luggage and valet parked our vehicle. The front desk staff were both courteous and friendly and made us truly feel we were very important to them and that they were so glad to see us. The maid service was also excellent and any request we had was promptly filled. Room and Public areas all very clean and well maintained. I have reviewed the hotel restaurant separately, Vivo's, but let me say it continued the excellent service at each meal we ate there. We were very happy with the choice we made in selecting this hotel for our Hartford stay and would absolutely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

When I stay at a Marriott, I count on reliability. I expect nothing great but nothing bad. Average. Many months ago when we booked rooms for the Hartford marathon, the downtown Marriott was selected because it purports to be a convention hotel. My assumption was it could handle a crowd for the marathon. Everything was average until breakfast room service didn’t arrive at 6AM or by 6:15AM. The front desk would not connect me to room service and said our order was on its way. Meanwhile, the runner’s breakfast requires time between eating and running. That’s why room service was ordered. By 7AM no one had arrived nor had I received a call to say breakfast wasn’t arriving per the 6AM request. Finally, after repeated requests, I was told the hotel was “overwhelmed”. We left to run the race. Without a doubt race time would have been better with the planned breakfast.

Two errors: the staff lied to guests (it turns out they knew room service could not accommodate breakfast requests) and clearly management can’t handle a weekend full house. Both errors are regrettable. My lesson? I’ll avoid Marriott and Marriott breakfast room service.

Since I’m writing this review, front desk check-in staff was polite. Bathroom showed signs of water damage and had a slight mildew smell. Lastly, in both our rooms only three small pillows were provided per room (website photos show six pillows per king bed). All in all, an incredibly disappointing experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank trout33907

Thank you for sharing your review with us and the Tripadvisor community. I’m very sorry to hear about the difficulties you encountered during your stay. We completely understand the importance of timing your breakfast in relation to the start of the marathon. On behalf of our property, I sincerely apologize for this oversight. I want to assure you that we are using this as a learning opportunity and have already begun discussing what we can do to improve next year’s marathon weekend for our guests and to be sure this does not happen again.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in the middle of everything. The room service, restaurants, and Crush Lounge were all very good. I was here for an even at the convention center, and there is no better hotel for this type of visit. I would definitely recommend and return here myself in the future.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel had a great location. Within walking distance of many historic sites. But the bathroom was small. The door missed toilet by 1 inch!!! The room was clean and up to date. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed at the Downtown Marriott for 4 nights last week to attend the 2013 National Federation of Paralegal Associations Convention. it was a fantastic experience, enhanced by the location. It is a beautifully decorated hotel, with large rooms looking out over the city and the Connecticut River. Great service, terrific food (and if you order off the bar menu in Vivo it won't cost you a small fortune), and full list of conveniences, from the pool and hot tub, along with a fitness center on the top floor, next to the spa, to a Starbucks off the lobby. Full restaurant, intimate bar, and a nightclub as well. You can easily walk to many of the tourist spots in town (the Science Museum is right next door, the Wadsworth Atheneum only a few blocks away), as well as numerous restaurants, everything from Burger King to the expensive but excellent Capital Grill, right across the street. It is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the river
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The one gripe - the person travelling with me initially got a room on a lower floor. The road noise was too loud. They promptly moved her higher up and she was happy.

This Marriott is in a central enough location in downtown where you can walk anywhere you need to go. The inside is very nice and the rooms are nice as well kept. As for decor / style, etc, they are Marriott standard. Beds were sooo comfortable too. The parking is around back so it was a little tough to find but that aside, fully recommend staying here. Staff was about what you expect from the larger hotel. Professional but busy.

Room Tip: Don't get a floor towards the bottom. You'll hear road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Radisson Hotel Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
#6 of 12 in Hartford

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!