“A nice downtown hotel in Hartford, CT” 4 of 5 stars

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Worth, Florida
“A nice downtown hotel in Hartford, CT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a very good business man's hotel. Once you've stayed several times, the competent staff will remember you when you arrive. There is a nice concierge room serving a complimentary breakfast in the morning and appetizers and cocktails in the evening along with dessert afterward.

The health club is complete with various workout equipment and there is an excellent restaurant named Vivo on premise.

This is my favorite place to stay in Hartrford.

Room Tip: I typically pick a room above the 8th floor.
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Constant Traveller
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is an update to my review of two years ago. The facility was excellent then and, in my opinion, has just continued to improve with experience and polish. The rooms are standard Marriott which is to say, absolutely fine. The lobby, parking, and restaurant are safe, clean and well-staffed; I see that "CaroleHHi" does not like the lobby design but I find it works very well, but she is correct about noise from the bar wafting up to the lower floors of the hotel... ALWAYS get a higher floor for a better night's sleep.

During this visit, we also used the banquet rooms for a series of large meetings. Their catering services worked very well, although they didn't quite have all the audio/visual stuff worked out before we arrived, so the meeting was slightly delayed.

One small item that could have been a problem: when i arrived, my room had just been cleaned, and the odor of the cleaner/ disinfectant was overwhelming. So I complained, and they changed my room and assigned me a higher floor, with a view of the Connecticut River which was quite lovely. Overall, a fine hotel in a very convenient location... highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough about this hotel. I used to be a loyal Starwood guy until my company switched to Marriott. I got to say this hotel gives any Westin or any other Marriott I've stayed at a run for their money. From the moment I walked into the beautifully adorned lobby I felt like I was being welcomed home. The staff was very accommodating and there was an energy in the place that made me feel glad to be there. The bartenders were very knowledgable about the local area and have me recommendations on what to do during my downtime. The pool and fitness area are super nice and really helped my unwind after a tough day at work. I booked under a rate through my company and paid half of what I expected to pay for a hotel this nice. Free Internet was also a perk that I don't typically see at Marriotts, even though I elected to upgrade to super high speed for only $10 bucks more. I look forward to staying again next month!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank NEtraveler777
Hilton Head, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Room was extremely noisy. We had a corner room on 6th floor but the music from the bar or ballroom came up right through the floors until 1:00am. This happened 2 of the 4 nights I stayed there. I had to call front desk but it still continued. Also, lobby arrangement was well under par for this category of hotel. I would not recommend. I am a Marriott Honored Guest with upper level rewards and I was paying for this room - I normally only have great things to say about Marriotts but not in Hartford.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank carolehhi
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We value our customers and thank you for your brand loyalty to Marriott. In the near future we will be embarking on a renovation of our entire hotel lobby area which will encompass the areas you mentioned in your comments. We do hope that you will give us another chance, as we believe you will be pleasantly surprised and that the renovation will not only meet, but exceed your expectations of our property.
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stay at a LOT of Marriott. Check out my reviews. I had stayed at this location a few years ago and stayed again this week. Its a very nice looking hotel from the outside. The lobby is nice and there are some nice seating areas. The top floor pool and workout room are nice as well.

The room, however was just average. Maybe below. Its a bit dated, but clean. The bed was comfortable but I expect that. Everything just seemed like it was from the 80s even though I think the hotel is much newer than that.

Give the price I paid (even my corporate rate was $250) there has to be better options in town.

Concierge lounge was a nice view on the 21st floor.

Room Tip: 21st floor is the highest but expect noise from the concierge lounge.
2 Thank lucycan
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We thank you for your brand loyalty to Marriott and for your candid feedback on our particular hotel. We appreciate that many of our hotel areas are to your liking. Our hotel has been in operation for eight years, and we are about to embark on a full-scale hotel renovation beginning with our lobby and first floor areas. The meeting space and guest rooms will also be re-designed. We do hope that you will visit us again when you are in Hartford. Thank you so much for your feedback.
Aiken, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I thought the lobby was acceptable and the restaurant expensive but the food was good. The décor was odd. The room was much too expensive for what we received. The staff at the front desk was cold and not friendly at all or helpful with directions or suggestions.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lido Beach NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Property is well-located to downtown and freeways. Bars are nice in hotel, has a Starbucks, too. Parking is over-priced and a walk so dump your stuff when you arrive if you're self-parking. Catering is acceptable but food always under seasoned and unexceptional. Good cell coverage in-building. Nice little pool with freezing water and a hot tub filled with mystery foam. Movie theatre and library close by, as are other bars. Clean. Friend got a massage and loved it.

1 Thank laphincow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#5 of 11 in Hartford
3.5 of 5 stars 348 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!