“Staff was so friendly and accommodating (and had personality)”

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Everything you expect a Marriott should be--clean, comfortable, convenient location and outstanding staff. I had issues with my reservation--when I called the 800 reservation line to confirm my late arrival they could not find my reservation and booked me again. When I arrived the front desk was very helpful (and light-hearted) and not only discovered I now had two reservations but upgraded my room because of the inconvenience. The upgrade was appreciated as it put us far away from noisy soccer tournament guests. Also, the next morning in my quest for a yogurt, (Starbucks was out) instead of charging me to "take out" a yogurt from the restaurant -- they gave it to me! It is the small things like this that makes Marriott rise to the top for me.

Room Tip: Just check to see if there are any large groups and request a room away from the room block.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon B
There are newer reviews for Hartford Marriott Downtown

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is attached to the Hartford Convention Center and that alone tells you they have a built-in market and they don't have to be fabulous to be busy--just okay. The hotel lobby is very large & updated. The desk staff were friendly and I was quickly checked in. The room I had included a flat screen TV, frig, acceptablely-sized bathroom with adequate counter space and make-up mirror. The bed and bed linens were in good shape (have fitted sheets, which I like) and the room was clean, including the shower and bath area. My room was quiet and I did not hear my neighbors or hall noise.

So why the score of a 3? It was all just oaky. The room rate is similar to other hotels in the area. The room furnishings are in decent shape, the gym area was adequate, my internet did work. But overall an average Marriott and nothing more. If you don't stay in hotels much you will probably like this one.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

As you're aware, Marriott's are complete hit or misses these days. It was a late, rainy Friday leaving NYC for a drive to Maine and I just had to stop for the night. I made a last minute reservation with a bit of trepidation given it's downtown Hartford. WHen I arrived at 11.30 pm, the bar was thumping with music and a good crowd (turned out to be an Episcopalian Convention!). The front desk was efficient and hospitable and the room was top shelf, clean, and comfortable. If you remember the way Marriott used to be, this brings back the good old days! Congrats to the staff of the hotel for doing such a great job. And thank you!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2012

While I did not spend the night in a hotel room, I attended a national knitting convention and all my classes were in the hotel. To start with, the bathrooms were immaculate with individual, white turkish towels and a lovely hamper to dump used towels. Staff was quick to take care of any needs and were so very friendly. Class teachers even remarked how helpful and pleasant the staff in setting up and meeting odd requests. Class rooms were kept very clean and fresh water was brought every couple of hours with REAL glass tumblers and linen napkins. I can only assume the sleeping rooms were as well attended.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Granted, hotel prices are high in Hartford. For what I paid for a night at the Hartford Marriott Downtown, however, I expected to at least have a useable sink. That proved not to be the case: The sink stopper was stuck in the closed position, so I could not so much as brush my teeth using the sink because the water would not drain. I wonder how many times the room had been cleaned and the problem simply ignored. Similarly, there was no Guest Directory in the room.

On the positive side, room service was prompt and efficient, even with staff calling after food had been delivered to find out if everything was acceptable. The hotel also is quiet. I don't think I ever heard a sound from the hallway or other rooms.

The hotel staff, particularly those in valet parking, were very nice.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Daughter and I visited for one night for a college visit. Plentiful Parking is adjacent to the hotel; you can use the valet ($23) or self park ($19). Check in was quick and efficient. The room was nicely appointed and had about the best mattress I have ever slept on at a hotel . We were on the concierge level; the room is very pretty with beautiful views of the river and pretty forests ringing the city. The Concierge appetizers were tasty and plentiful. The breakfast was delicious and included hot and cold foods.

I would like to especially commend Ali, the manager, who was very friendly and really seemed to care that your stay was a great one; and Lourdes and Sylvana in the concierge level, who just went out of their way to make sure that our experience up there was a good one.

Definitely recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was a great hotel and location. I was extremely impressed with the hotel as a whole. Extremely friendly staff. Great restaurant on location, with good food. The one thing is the the concierge lounge is not open on Monday's. But when I went to the lobby to ask they gave me a breakfast voucher for the restaurant right a way. Which was great. They have a nice buffet also.

Rooms were roomy and nice. Very clean hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
#6 of 12 in Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!