“Good stay for a convention.”

Hartford Marriott Downtown
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersSilver level
Branford, CT
“Good stay for a convention.”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed here in September for a Friday night during the AOPA convention. Pretty exterior and fancy lobby. Their check-in time as listed is pretty much right on, so don't count on getting to your room early, as others have alluded to (good thing they're not turning rooms around on a cruise ship), as my requested king bed room wasn't ready until 330PM. Parking is convenient right next door, and under cover on this rainy day, but the 'discounted' parking for self park is $19. The room has a nice contemporary decor, but small, with good television channel selection. Wi-fi isn't free (what?, is at lessor hotels and should be for Marriott Reward members). Rooftop pool was cool for a indoor 'heated' pool, but the hottub made up for the lack of heat. Workout area appeared well appointed. Quiet stay up high, but the city view wasn't as appealing as the river would've been. Beware and add time for long lines for Starbucks in the morning. Breakfast buffett was ok at Vivo restaurant, with some of the best bacon I've ever eaten (and I'm a fan of bacon), but not such a large selection. Check out wasn't able to be accomplished using the in-room tv menu, but the bill was already printed and hanging on the door anyhow, and the keys were simply handed in at the front desk.

Would stay here again, was a good deal for my nightly stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We were here for a convention, but stayed across the river at the Hampton, because even the convention rates were a bit steep for us. This hotel is really nice, though, and the staff we spoke with were helpful and friendly. Our convention was on the third floor, which was easily accessible via escalator. I think there is an elevator also, but I don't know exactly where. The hotel lobby is spacious and the hotel itself is centrally located.

• Stayed October 2011
Fresno, California
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was only in town for one night and stayed at the Marriott because a conference I attended was held in the hotel. The hotel itself is one of the nicer Marriott's I've stayed at, but at $350 a night, the standard room was overpriced. The bed was comfortable but it was nothing special. There's a very good restaurant in the hotel as well as a bar and a Starbucks. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would stay at this hotel again if the rates were lower.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Margery R, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and TripAdvisor. We strive to provide a memorable and comfortable stay for all of our guests and your comments reflect this. Nothing could make us happier than to hear that our staff and services are meeting your expectations and that you would like to return. Unfortuntately the rate was on the high end due to the very busy time that you reserved with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
West Columbia, SC
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I arrived early on 9/20/11 for my two day stay, 12:30 PM. Front desk was very polite, but my King room was not yet available, the ladies suggested i go to lunch and come back around 2 PM. I went to the hotel restaurant and had a very nice cup of French Onion soup, $7.00. Along with the meal was a wonderful basket of bread and their own in house spread (nice!).

I walked around a bit and came back to the front desk at 2 PM, and still no King room available. No worries, I had a rental car and decided to drive around looking for two seafood restaurants I wanted to check out. (J's Crab Shack was awesome!)

I returned to the hotel around 4 PM (shift change) and the nice young man at the front desk said my room was ready, a nice corner room with two double beds....hmm. I reminded him the ladies at the desk had assured me that a King would be available earlier in the day. He said with a smile, Sir, you only had a request for a King and we only have the twin room. Well, no real problem, but it was not what I had asked for or waited for the past 3 hours. He looked again and finally found a King room.

I am not a Marriott member, only travel two or three time per year. On the other hand, I book 300 hotel rooms a year for our flight crews. Interesting to see how Marriott treats a regular Joe.

Hotel is nice, I would give it 3.5 stars. Restaurant was good, treated well for only ordering soup. Had a drink in the restaurant bar later that night. Nice young man tending bar, a local that was proud of his town. Next night I had a drink in their lounge. Not impressed. The girl tending bar, April, had to ask me twice what I ordered. She treated every customer like they bothered her. The bar was not even busy. May be the hot spot for downtown Hartford, but I would not waste another $ in this bar.

Overall, nice convention hotel. Would I put our pilots up at this hotel? Yes. Just remember, the city controls the parking garage. The hotel has a deal at $19 a day plus tax. Better than NY. If your pilots don't have a car, there are places to eat a few blocks away and there is a free shuttle/bus service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feeback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your candid feedback and were very pleased to see that your overall impression of our hotel and staff was favorable. We are sorry that our lounge fell short of your expectations and appreciate your candid feedback so that we can correct the situation. We strive to make the Marriott Hartford Downtown a home away from home for our guests and we were happy to see that you would recommend others to the hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you and your associates in the future.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2011

it is in the convection location,walk to downtown, which is dead on the weekend. Free bus to restaurants and general areas,
elegant , perhaps only 4 star hotel in downtown.

Room Tip: face the river
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for mentioning us on TripAdvisor! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Hartford has many events throughout the year. Be sure to check out CTVisit.com before your next stay to see the many events happening in Hartford and the surroundingthe area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Maryland
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband, my children, and I stayed here in September 2011. The rooms and bathrooms were extremely clean. However, the noise level in the hotel was quite loud- both from guests and the nightclub in the lobby. Our room was on the 6th floor, and we could hear the music and base until well after 2am!

• Stayed September 2011
Margery R, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to express your views through TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and work very hard to make our guests feel at home and comfortable when they stay with us. We have a very popular nightclub and have been told that it can get a bit loud in the lobby, however you should not be experiencing noise from Crush on the 6th floor. We appreciate your feedback and will investigate this to ensure that the noise is kept to a minimum.
Buffalo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Wife and I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday evening. Arrived at 10pm and had several problems with check-in. The lobby was incredibly noisy as there is a nightclub across from the front desk. Drunk partygoers in various manners of disheveled clothing kept filtering out and acting up. Our room type that we booked (king bed) was not available and the front desk manager tried to force us into a room with two double beds instead. I resisted and the manager found a king room to accomodate us. Another clerk told us that there were several late check outs at 5pm by a college and they were still trying to service the rooms from inventory to accomodate arrivals (at 10pm on a saturday evening!). The hotel restaurant is not open after 10pm so we went out to a diner and returned an 90 minutes later. There was no valet at the door to take our car. Waited for 10 minutes then I just left the car locked and parked out front and went upstairs. Several inebriated guests coming and going from the elevators and the door from a guestrom on our floor had been "toilet papered". It stayed that way until 9am the next morning.

Guestroom was clean, but smaller than other downtown Marriotts I have stayed at.

Had buffet breakfast the next morning in the hotel restaurant. Food was very good but the service can be somewhat slow at times. If you want an omelette or pancakes/waffle you must order it from the server. It took about 25 minutes for this to arrive. seemed like a long time to wait.

On the morning of our check-out the hotel hung a copy of our folio (statement of hotel charges) on the handle of our guestroom door. This folio contains name, home address, marriott rewards number and other personally identifiable information. It is all hanging there for any to grab and look at (or take with tem)! MAJOR BREACH OF SECURITY!!!!!!! The folio should have been completely slid under the guestroom door. But it wasn't. And.....the folio was incorrect anyway. We had to go to the front desk to have the fix it.

Room Tip: Warning: This hotel is "nightclub central" on Friday and Saturday evenings. Keep this in m...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Margery R, Manager at Hartford Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to offer your evaluation for our Hartford property. We’re sorry our hotel and services did not meet your expectations.

Crush Lounge is one of the most popular nightclubs in Hartford and because Crush is located right off our lobby, that area can become noisy at times. However, there is no justification for noise on the guestroom floors and we have a strict policy in place to keep noise levels down in those areas.

Our brand’s national policy requires the provision of a receipt of expenses for every guest for checkout. This folio is something many travelers have come to expect to find on the floor inside their room prior to checkout. However, our hotel has a unique feature that prevents us from sliding them under the door. Our high-rise building is outfitted with a fire and smoke suppression system complete with doors that make a complete and tight seal that prevents smoke from entering guestrooms in the event of a fire. These seals on the doors also prevent us from sliding folios under them. As a result, our standard is to hang folios on the door. Folios contain guest name, room number and expenses; however no credit card or personally identifiable information is printed on them beyond that. The Marriott rewards number is also obfuscated except for the last 4 digits.

Please feel free to contact me directly at our property if you wish to personally discuss your concerns.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#5 of 11 in Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Best Western Hartford Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to Hartford Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!