“Nice place for Peruvian cuisine.”
Review of La Kerencya - CLOSED

La Kerencya
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is a family owned establishment that offers excellent service, entertainment and great food!
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Thia is about our fifth time trying Peruvian cuisine in different locations. Upon seating, you are served roasted corn with a garlicky sauce and hot bread. Both are very good. We had a roasted chicken and a seafood stew. The chicken comes with salad and fries. Both were good. The dining room is pleasant but would be nicer without the tv. The food is good, but rather bland. If you don't like your food too spicy then you will probably like the new taste experience. It is worth trying.

1  Thank Lulupink2
There are newer reviews for La Kerencya

Reviewed August 20, 2012

La Kerencya was a really nice restaurant and I highly recommend it. Let's start with the food. The menu was varied and reasonably priced. There were a half dozen different types of Ceviche which is my favorite (raw seafood dishes), as well as a wide variety of meats and seafood. Sadly, the menu does lack variety when it comes to vegetarian options. I had the Tiradito Tres Colores which was yummy and offered three styles of Ceviche seasoning. My wife had Saltaldo de Vegetables, which was a nice veggie option and enough to serve as a meal even though its listed in the appetizer section. We also had a side of plantains which were excellent. The decor was simple but wonderful - lots of great warm red hues and low lighting for a nice atmosphere. The bar is separated enough so that the TVs in there don't create a sports bar atmosphere. There is live music on some nights and I want to return for that. The owners are super friendly - Mona visited us after the meal to ask about our experience and her husband joined the conversation as well. It is personal treatment like this in addition to the wonderful food that will surely drive us to visit again soon.

2  Thank Norm2020
Reviewed August 10, 2012

La Kerencya of Hartford Connecticut provided me with my first true Peruvian dining experience as well as my fellow dinner guests. We took advantage of the "Taste of Hartford 2012" event to experience a new flavor, something different from the norm. La Kerencya nailed it out of the gate. A helpful wait staff provides all the insight you could ever want helping to guide you along the menu while a Latin American band plays music on a small stage in the dining area. Owners work amongst the staff which is an added benefit in our increasingly distant society. The menu was long but with some highlighted choices we got to sample a small list of appetizers as well as entrees. From the bread severed hot in the first moments of sitting down to the roasted chicken everything was good and some things were excellent. The flavors were zesty and rich mostly full of flavor. It was just the right new flavor that I wanted, not a complete taste bud shock but a nice hit into left field. The roasted chicken as simple as can be is a staple that is certainly worth trying, as it it marinated and then roasted to perfection. I would highly recommend a stop for the weekly lunch service while in the Hartford area although I have yet to try lunch I feel its a better value than dinner with all the favors you want. As the perfect spot to try Peruvian food I recommend La Kerencya for first timers as well as Peruvian foodies. The spot is family owned and operated with family influence in the dishes you have to at least give it a try.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The food here reminded us of what we had on our trip to Peru last year. The pisco sour was better than the ones I had in Peru! The real winner was the pollo a la brasa. Incredibly tender and tasty rotisserie chicken with fries and a yummy salad... For $9!!!! We will definitely be back for this meal and to try other things on the varied menu

Reviewed July 1, 2012

What a lovely evening! We were greeted warmly at the door and taken to our table where we were immediately offered drinks. The special drink, the Pisco Sour was tasty but the Woohoo was even better. The six of us each ordered something different: the menu was extensive with something for everyone. The portions were generous (the women all took some home) and everyone was very pleased with the flavor and the seasonings, ie it was wonderful! Did I mention the delicious fresh baked bread and the roasted corn with "low" spice dip placed on the table soon after being seated? Reasonably priced with great service; we will definitely return!