Residence Inn Hartford Downtown
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsfull kitchenrooms are hugecity steamloft styleliving roomfront deskunusual hotelsleeping areabrew pubhistorical buildingextra spacedesk arealong stayhotel roomwithin walking distancegreat complimentary breakfastpull out couch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 11, 2010

My husband, eight year old son and I spent a night here on a Marriott package deal with tickets to the science center. It is an easy walk to the science museum from the hotel. You can also walk to the Old Statehouse and a number of downtown venues including the riverwalk area.

Our room was quite large with a king bed and a fold out sofa. Our view was non existent. My complaints are the old and small televisions. No flat screens. Also if it's important to you there's no pool. There is a fitness room that was small but adequate. It also gripes me to pay for parking ($16 for self park). There is a restaurant attached and the breakfast is quite good and included as is internet.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2010

We spent two nights in a villa at the Mariott Residence Inn, in Hartford Conn. The hotel is a little hard to spot if you drive down Main Street (it's just a small store front) but if you pull around back (which is somewhat complicated by one-way streets) you can find the parking area -- they charge $16 per night for a car (not something they told us about when we booked). The hotel room was spacious and clean (super high ceilings), it had a full kitchen (without a sponge or any soap near the sink), small table for two, desk, a living room area with a TV and small pull-out love seat and an uncomfortable chair on the "first floor." A couple of stairs up was a bathroom, with a bedroom in the back. Lots of closet space, not sure why... The layout is ideal for two couples that plan to split a hotel room, though you can tell it is geared towards long-term business stay. Not for anyone that doesn't do stairs -- so check to make sure you ask for a handicap room if you need one.

The bar/restaurants on either side of the hotel look upscale, but they get seriously LOUD at night. We arrived late and wanted to grab some food, but the pounding music coming from the restaurant sent us running back to the room with a take-out menu, which was provided by the front desk (we are 30 and 31 -- so it's not like we're old folks). We stayed for a wedding in the Gershwin Fox Ballroom, which was lovely. After the wedding we met at City Steam, but the music was too loud, so we left fairly quickly.

My advice: if you need pantyhose, hit the nearby CVS BEFORE 3 p.m. -- they close insanely early and when I put a hole in mine right before going to the reception, I had to drive out to a Walgreens - there was no place else to go in walking distance and the hotel didn't have a gift shop for these things.

There were lots of cool spots nearby: I stopped at the old state house and took a tour ($6) and the people there were friendly and helpful, they gave me some brochures and tips about places to check out. We really liked Vaughn's, a small Irish pub, with great food.

Overall the hotel is clean and decent, seems like a popular place for people to stay while they attend weddings (we saw quite a few other couples). I think it was a little on the pricey side, but I had no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2009

One wonders if some of the negative reviews result from not understanding that Residence Inns are not exactly hotels but rather a sort of cross between a motel and a short-term serviced apartment. Residence Inns do not provide room service, etc. -- which is why every unit comes with a complete kitchen including refrigerator, oven and range, microwave oven, toaster, dishwasher, etc.. But most Residence Inns do place in each unit menus from nearby restaurants that will deliver to your room, and that is also true of this one. You call the restaurant (an outside call) and they deliver. Although both restaurants are in the same building as the RI, they are outside the RI and any complaint about "room service" should be directed to the restaurant concerned.

Also one should not expect to find porters, concierges, etc.. Baggage trolleys are provided, but you move your own stuff.

The trade-off is that you get a small apartment with loads of space and a full kitchen for the price of a hotel room. In the case of this Residence Inn, the one-bedroom unit we stayed in was vast, and the only only complaint I would have is that it was so big that a large part of it was unfurnished except for the carpet -- you could hold a stand-up cocktail party for 20+ people in that space! Also the two TVs are both ancient CRT boxes with blurred pictures. But everything else about the unit was comfortable and immaculate, including a large very comfortable sofa and a recliner in the living room area. No sign of any scuff marks on the paint, and all the furnishings looked new. The HVAC was functional and silent (although it was noisy in our son's smaller "studio suite", to the extent that he had to turn it off in order to sleep).

The lobby, elevators and corridors were all immaculate. The "free" breakfast included cooked food and plenty of it.

The only staff we came into contact with were the ladies at the reception desk, who we found to be consistently warm, friendly and helpful whenever we had a question.

We paid $119 plus taxes for Saturday and Sunday nights, which seems to me to be an amazing bargain given the location right in the center of an east coast city.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The variety of rooms at the Residence Inn is amazing! I felt like I was in a different hotel each week I checked in. It was very cozy! The staffs, Lilly, Shae, and Michelle, were very friendly and made sure I was comfortable. My room was always clean. Breakfast was always good. Dinner for the most part was good. If I ever go back to Hartford, CT, I would definitely stay at this hotel.

The only thing I would change is the televisions. With the available technology I think it is time that management purchase new television sets.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The ENTIRE staff at the Residence Inn could not have been more helpful. My daugher resently got married next door at City Steam - Serveral of the guests were staying at the Residence Inn and all had the same positive comment about the staff - not to mention the rooms were very spacious and comfortable. It was the perfect stay in Hartford! Thanks again for helping make my daughter's wedding special!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family