“Not happy”

Residence Inn Hartford Downtown
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
Reviewed August 23, 2009

After blocking several rooms for our wedding night and guests, we had a terrible experience with the sales managers, Kim and Zee. They were very rude about our accomodations and were very difficult to deal with. Our wedding 'suite' was definitely not anything as promised- a very basic room. Our guests had complaints, from issues of getting their promised room rate as well as ending our wedding block earlier than the date guarenteed. Our guests had issues with a dog being locked in to a neighboring hotel room and barking in the middle of the night. The staff would not move them. Overall, it really was the rudeness of the staff that turned everyone off from this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Hartford Downtown

Reviewed August 19, 2009

I can't even begin to start with all the problems we had with our stay--(100 degree room, extremely rude front desk, NO ICE MACHINES anywhere in the entire hotel, NO shuttle transportation--no information on directions)--that is just the tip of the iceberg. We were so anxious for our long-awaited getaway, and we were hoping for a half-decent room when we booked our penthouse suite. Oh dear, this was a disaster at best. The front desk all but refused to help us. Our room was stifling hot...but we were informed no one could help as maintenance had prior engagements. We were told we should just take our luggage back down to the lobby and they would move us to a smaller room. After insisting we should be allowed to remain in the room we paid for....we then had to leave for our scheduled dinner reservation. Since we had never traveled to Hartford before we were hoping the front desk clerk help us with directions---but they stated they had no directions at all. We were told there was no shuttle at all running that day, and a taxi could be called but to expect it to be a 15 or 20 minute wait (on a Monday afternoon). We had no choice but to try to walk to our destination, getting ultimately very lost, and thus being 45 minutes late to our reservation. And don't be fooled by the online photos--these rooms were dank, musty and very outdated--just not a pleasant stay at all. If you like to drink luke warm tap water, sleep in a stifling hot room and get lost in a strange city with no help from anyone at the front desk--this is your place. Otherwise, don't go here!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Stayed here for three weeks on business. Most of those who I stayed with were from out of town and the staff was MORE than helpful answering any questions about the area, along with organizing shuttles. Staff was also very friendly during our daily comings and goings. Rooms were clean and an enormous size. Only con is the wine bar/restaurant below the hotel plays loud music and I could hear the base when trying to sleep. Was just the room I was in though- none of my colleagues had that problem. Would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank KD2009
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I am a frequent business traveler. I had room reserved for every week from from October to March of the next year. After about the second month, I accidentally arrived on a Tuesday and not on Monday as reserved. After apologizing for the oversight, the hotel refused to forgive my one night reservation and Kim, the Sales Manager, insisted they charge me. Reminding her I had about 4 months of remaining reservations, I emailed the General Manager Mark Graham, who never even had the decency to respond.
I promptly cancelled the remaining reservations and took up at the full service Marriott across the street!

Although the rest of the staff was very hospitable, I would highly advise against staying in a place like this.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
cubssox, General Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2009

Is there a way that I could contact you so we could discuss? My e-mail address is mgraham@whghotels.com.

Reviewed July 5, 2009

I read reviews here before selecting this hotel and one of the biggest rooms to stay - the rooms were as spacious as any I've seen before for the prices (~$150/night). Room had a bi-level loft, full kitchen, nice beds, but rather old 27in televisions that didn't fit in the room and a very tiny bathroom (compared to the size of rest of the room). Parking is located in the rear of the building - at $16 a day, the garage had very few spots and looked like a dump. The staff were discourteous and bordering on rude; the service was terrible. If you plan to stay here (and stay here only for the spacious rooms), plan on not getting in contact with hotel staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
cubssox, Manager at Residence Inn Hartford Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2009

I appreciate your taking the time to provide such helpful feedback. I have shared your experience with our staff and am confident this was an isolated incident.

Reviewed January 29, 2009

My fiancé and I just recently traveled to Hartford for a show and I decided to stay at the Residence due to its favorable reviews on Trip Advisor.

They were 100% accurate, this hotel was superb. The rooms for starters are so large and comfortable and very clean. The entire hotel was immaculate.

The staff was knowledgeable and fast, even remembering our room number when we approached the desk.

They offered a free breakfast that actually contained food, in addition to a cute brewery/restaurant on the first level that you don't even have to go outside to get to.

I really wish I could have stayed longer as it was so enjoyable; I've had a better experience here than in hotels I've paid three times the price for.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Don't expect your standard Residence Inn. A rehabbed downtown building yields interesting 1BR (with loft) and 2 BR suites. The rooms we saw were set off by half a level of stairs, which affords plenty of privacy. Our bedroom was open to the living room (i.e., "loft") but it was never a problem.

We found that our room had recently been used, contrary to hotel policy, by smokers. Management was chagrined and most cooperative in getting us a replacement room. They took $100 off our bill, which was appreciated but not entirely necessary. Great beds; nice kitchen (even though we didn't use it); oddly shaped eating area but who cares, really....

If I had to be in Hartford, Connecticut, this is definitely the place I'd stay.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
The Goodwin
#5 of 12 in Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to Residence Inn Hartford Downtown? Share your experiences!