“Wedding Weekend in Hartford”

Residence Inn Hartford Downtown
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
New York City, New York
“Wedding Weekend in Hartford”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

We had a wedding in Hartford this summer and the hotel we stayed in was the Residence Inn. It was a very nice hotel with a very classy feel. I was a little lost when we arrived as the parking area is around back and on a lower level. We enter into an area with no signs on how to get to the main lobby. That was really the only problem I had. the room was large and very comfortable. The staff was friendly as well. We loved the City Steam bar attached to the lobby. It was a nice thing to have for after the wedding it being only downstairs from the room. All in all this was a nice hotel and one of the nicer ones we have stayed in for a wedding. They simply need to work on making sure the guest know where everything is. I was truly a little lost but once I figured it out it was a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

Residence Inn has huge suites with a nice kitchenette, dining area, drawing and study room. the service was excellent. you do the cooking and leave it for the staff to do the dishes. Can order groceries in the room.

They have a good social hour in the evening with drinks and snacks on the house. Not many options for veearians though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Lebanon, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

We had a nice weekend stay at Hartford to see a concert at the XL Center. The concert was great (saw the Who) and this hotel was within a block from the Center so it was extremely convenient for us.The hotel is on the registry of historic sights. It was very clean, and the suite we had was huge. The staff was friendly and helpful. The complimentary morning breakfast buffet was the usual nice addition. The size of the living area of our suite was a little odd in that the ceilings were extremely high with many curtained windows. The furniture was really dwarfed by the size of the room but that was something that did not really bother us. I would highly also recommend dining at City Steam which is located in the lobby area of the hotel. It is a historic restaurant which was once a department store. Saturday nights are busy there! A "must see" in Hartford is the Mark Twain house if you like history and architecture. This is about a five minute drive from the hotel. Hartford is a town that is being restored with some nice architectural details in the old buildings. It is worth visiting and also an easy trip to the rest of New England.

Room Tip: We stayed on the fifth floor away from the elevators. We had a corner suite that was larger than som...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Enfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2011

I am a loyal Marriott Brand customer and usually like to stay in a Marriott Brand hotel when I travel for short stays. I was only going to be in town overnight and I chose the Residence Inn Downtown because it was less expensive than the Marriott Hotel when you figure in the fact that breakfast is included with your rate at the Residence Inn.

The room was very nice. Very high ceilings, large windows (with no view to speak of unfortunately), fully equipped kitchen and a separate bedroom upstairs.

The room was very clean as always.

This particular room looked out onto the rooftops of adjacent buildings with large exhast/air conditioning fans. This is all I heard all night long. The bed was not as comfortable as other RIs that I have stayed at and I was honestly very surprised at the amount of noise the fans made. I can usually sleep through a lot but this was difficult. I didn't sleep well at all.

The breakfast was typical buffet style and noting special, but it was included in the price which was very reasonable and it was tasty with enough variety.

I would stay there again but I will ask for a room away from the roof fans!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in September. Overall a very pleasant place to stay. Very spacious and comfortable room with everything we needed. Breakfast was solid (oatmeal, good cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc, fruit plus hot food). Staff was quite friendly and helpful. Location in downtown Hartford is convenient--can walk to many restaurants. The only downside is that you can get a little bit of street noise/light (windows are very large because of the high ceilings, and a small section at the very top has a lighter shade). Given that most people aren't in Hartford for an extended, relaxing vacation, it's not really a big deal. I would definitely stay here again if I were in Hartford.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Em32123
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed in the Residence Inn for 5 nights - with 2 small children, and having travelled all over, I can honestly say it was one of the strangest places I have been in. The rooms were fine - actually very clean and spacious, but the kitchen was kitted out very badly and the communal areas left a lot to be desired. I found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful, and the breakfast was good, but the "shop" with "meal substitutes" was awful - with not a fresh item of produce in sight. Not even milk. Also, downtown Hartford has little to offer a family. I have stayed in Residence Inns before, and this was emphatically not up to scratch - in spite of the best efforts of the lovely staff. Steer clear.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank CaTyLondon
nunavut, canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

We spent just one night here, we left Newport RI for a close destination before going back to Canada. Hotel is very close to major highways, I mean 30 seconds away! Checked-in nicely on a friday night, the short staff (due to hurricane warning Irene) was great. We had an 'accessible' room 414. HUGE room, kids loved it, kitchen is nicely furnished. There was a smell in room, as if no one accessed this room in many days, if not weeks. All the rest was pretty decent. I suggest you shop in West hartford (Whole foods there) about 8 minutes drive. Very secure indoor parking (16$), we had the room for 139$ internet special. Make sure you book it on the internet because they cannot match the offer at the front desk...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family