“Big part of my Sandy Hook photography experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Hartford

Hilton Hartford
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
“Big part of my Sandy Hook photography experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Nothing can be more withering than driving 4.5 hours to a city you have never visited, being late, and thinking ahead to the volunteer experience. Wait... add the multiple accidents on I84 caused by what is arguably the nation's worst drivers. Did I mention the 6"-12" snowstorm forecast? Okay, now that you have the picture, park and register at the Hilton Hartford.

Nothing could have been better. A courteous desk staff took care of everything. I was there at 8.45 a.m., well before the official registration time, but that was not a problem. Suitcase and suit were taken to a safe place, room guaranteed, directions to the state capitol... wait, "We have a shuttle service that will take you to the door." Amazing.

I was in Connecticut to photograph an art exhibit created by the community of Newtown on the anniversary of their school tragedy. And within five minutes, I was calm and focused because of some caring concern for my well-being. So, let's go to the capitol. Glen, the shuttle driver, was standing right there, and within another five minutes, he was sharing his love of the city, giving me directions to the entrance, and telling me that he would be back to pick me up later that afternoon after I called the number on the hotel's business card.

I wish all of you had been there to share in this art therapy experience. The children explained their pieces, parents and friends participated in community art, they all met with the state's governor and their Supreme Court's chief justice, both gracious and focused on these children and their parents.

The phone call to the hotel that afternoon promised the shuttle in ten minutes; it was there in five. Glen and I shared our day and our best guesses for the impending storm totals. Back to the hotel and I met Cherene Cotter, probably the most courteous, polite, and thoughtful guest service agent I have ever met. Room - check. Answers to every question - check. Best laugh in two days - check. And the best part, when I came back down looking for a quick sandwich and a drink, I was greeted by name and given solutions before I even asked. Miss Cotter is a gem.

I was ready to return to the capitol for the evening reception with the governor's wife and other dignitaries and Newtown families and the amazing therapists who had provided their services to the Sandy Hook students and their parents. Shuttle was waiting, and Glen was offering any help I needed.

The evening was wonderful. One of the artists offered me a ride back to the hotel, and once again, I was greeted by this friendly staff who offered weather forecasts, directions for leaving the city, and even the commitment of a sandwich or two for my morning drive.

Shower. Bed. 4 a.m. wake-up call. Check out. Car was safe in their underground garage. Directions were spot on. And it was snowing about five hours earlier than predicted... okay, something had to go wrong. 500 images of Sandy Hook children, their day, their exhibit, and the talented and gifted artists who had invited me to photograph the experience are the memories I have of the day, but the Hilton staff will also be part of my travel stories for a long time.

Room Tip: I was on floor 15. What a view of the city! Seems like everyone is trying to leave at the same time...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sam B
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Sam,

On behalf of Cherene, Glen and the entire Hilton Hartford team we would like to thank you for the high praise and for being a Senior Contributor for TripAdvisor. I am also grateful you were able to share your experience with the Newtown art therapy program and we were able to help you stay calm and focused during such a powerful exhibit . From the safe feeling of our parking garage to the personal care of offering a sandwich for your morning drive, your experience assures me that my team is doing everything right. I do agree that the view of the city from the 15th floor is amazing. We look forward to your next arrival so we may continue to provide you with a positive and lasting impression.

Anish Patney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
hartford, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

front desk was rude when i apparoach the desk wouldnt answer my question after room was book under my name the lady was really rude and was so in a rush like her convo was more imporant to her co-workers than it was the guest...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Kailyn, I’m terribly sorry your experience at our hotel was not a better one. Please know that all information TripAdvisor members share with us is reviewed and shared with the key members of the hotel team. I’m disappointed to read that our front desk agent was not helpful and responsive to your needs. I have taken up this matter with the front office manager to be sure that the team has the training to prevent incidents like this in the future. Historically they have been very adept at providing excellent guest service, so again, I’m truly sorry this was not your experience during your visit. I would welcome the opportunity to provide you with future accommodations so we can show you the hotel experience you deserve. Please contact me directly and I will make sure you have an outstanding experience.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here about ten times for business, and realized after the first visit that the shuttle cannot be counted on! It is very slow and if you have an 8:30 am meeting and come downstairs at 8 am, you will not make it on time! I love staying here for the nice room, view, food, fitness center and excerpt free, Wifi but know I need to get a rental car to make it to the office on time!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
WHGGuestService, General Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Katie - I truly appreciate the reviews we get from our guests who have the opportunity to return numerous times. Especially in your role as a senior contributor to Trip Advisor, it gives me a sense of how we’re doing over time and based on your feedback I’m thrilled to know we’re providing consistent quality accommodations. I’m proud that you\'ve selected our hotel for your business travel to Hartford. While we have no control over the shuttle system our Front Desk staff would be more than happy to arrange transportation for you during your next stay.

Friendsville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

The staff are a tremendous asset to the Hilton Brand. It really is my first place for travel when i'm in Hartford Connecticut. The breakfast at M&M is one of the best in the country. I would recommend any person traveling on Business to check out this hotel. It is so convenient to other top restaurants, theaters and nightlife

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Front desk staff was clueless on multiple fronts--an investment in training is likely to help. Rooms and hallways have used beige to an excess. Other than the lobby, which seems to have been updated, the rest of the hotel has a dated decor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nasi, Thank you for being a contributor on Trip Advisor and for sharing your experience. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the high level of standards we aim to provide each and every guest. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Regarding the décor we are currently in the process of upgrading the sheers and carpets in our guest rooms. Thank you for your comments about our front desk staff. We will investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

Regards
White Plains, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Awesome customer service, courteous staff, beautiful surroundings, clean rooms. Located just off the highway, close to many fun activities, and good restaurants. Parking is extra $ but safe and ok bcos can walk to most activities. Will stay here agin when in the area....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Rosanne I appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. I agree we are located in an ideal spot and am happy to read you were able to enjoy the activities the surrounding the area provides. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sparta, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

This downtown hotel is neat and clean and there was a nice lobby. The room was comfortable and free internet was provided. There is a charge for the parking. Avoid the restaurant if possible. The restaurant wait staff are indifferent as is the quality of the food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. While I\'m pleased you enjoyed our hotel’s complimentary internet and cleanliness, it is clear that your food and beverage experience in our m&m Bistro was not up to the mark. Nancy, please know the restaurant service troubles you encountered during your stay are not typical, and I regret that you were unable to fully enjoy our food and service. Your comments help us to prevent similar events from re-occurring. I would welcome the opportunity to invite you back so we may show you the experience you deserve. Please feel free to contact me directly.