“A Hilton hotel but still intimate”
Review of Hilton Hartford

Hilton Hartford
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersBronze level
Carmel, New York
“A Hilton hotel but still intimate”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is my second time that I stayed here with my son and his friends to attend a sporting event and still had a wonderful time. Last year the front desk even offered us Hockey tickets for free but we already had tickets to the game.There is a wonderful older bellhop who reminds you of the past. The pool is adequate for a short stay and there is a place to eat downstairs but having 6 boys i had to walk 5 blocks to find a McDonald's.After the walk back I realized i should have gone with the extra money and ate downstairs. I ate there last year and the food was wonderful.The only problem I had this time is the renovation of the garage but once you found your way once you never got lost again. If you are going to any games in the convention center this is the ONLY place you should consider since you can enter it from the hotel.The bartender at night has been there forever and does everything PERFECT and his stories will keep you laughing....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank michael_mcdonald451
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your Trip Advisor review of our hotel.
Our number one priority is the satisfaction of our guest. I will certainly pass along to our management that you found our staff friendly and the Hotel well-located. I am pleased to say that the parking garage renovation is now complete. Only through comments such as yours are we able to continue to provide a quality experience to all of our guests.

Duane Schroder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
Paramus
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was a tough weekend with hundreds of teenagers coming for a volleyball tournament. The hotel was crazy busy but they looked overwhelmed. The lobby looked nice, but it would be impossible to relax there since the doors were open almost the entire time and it was freezing. They need to rebuild their front door system with a circular door to allow for less cold air to come in. Also, the fire alarm went off at 7 a.m. and I was surprised there was no compensation for those who were affected. I was disappointed that some basic ammenities were not part of the hotel stay-- I had to request washclothes, I only had 3 towels in the room so we ended up sharing a towel for the kids, and Internet access wasn't included. Being a Hilton hHononors elite didn't seem to mean squat at this hotel -- I didn't feel there were any ammenities or different treatment than any of the teenagers that walked in the door for the first time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gottwiser
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with the TripAdvisor community. Your input related to the amenities in your room is appreciated and is something I’ll use as we work to continuously improve our hotel. While we recognize the alarm was an inconvenience, we are comfortable in knowing our alarm system functioned exactly as designed. The Hartford Fire Department responded, the cause was investigated and our system was reset. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused and want you to know the safety and well-being of our guests is our number one priority. Regarding the internet, we do offer complimentary access through the AT&T Stay Connected Network. Please know that we truly value your input and hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you expect from us during your next trip to Hartford.

Massachusetts
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton in Hartford during an event at the Convention Center. The rooms were nice, every staff member we encountered was friendly and accommodating, and the pool/hot tub area was basic but clean. There is also a sauna in the ladies locker room, I'm not certain if there is one in the men's locker room. The restaurant downstairs had a good assortment of soups/salads/sandwichs at reasonable prices as well as varied breakfast fare. There is also room service at prices that don't gouge. The free Star Shuttle stop (#10) is right outside the hotel.

Room Tip: The pool and fitness center are located on the 5th floor, so there tends to be more foot traffic and...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank StellaBlue71
Thank you for being a guest of our hotel and for sharing feedback from your stay with the TripAdvisor community. Please know that your feedback is truly appreciated. I am thrilled you found our staff friendly and accommodating and you were able to use the amenities in the locker room. We look forward to seeing you at our hotel again very soon.

upstate. New York
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was at the Hilton for a conference and stayed one night. We booked a junior parlor suite. The rate was $269. When we got to our room is was not a suite but a standard room with a king sized bed. Those rates were only $139 Had to call down to the desk to get another room. They were understaffed for the amount of people coming in that night for the conference so it took some time. They did get us to another room but again it was just another room with a king sized bed with a room that connects through a locked door.. Not sure what they call a suite, but that sure didn't feel like it. They did however lower our rate because of the mix up.
The restaurant m&m that was in the hotel was again poorly staffed and the food was not good. We were quite disappointed. They even pulled the guy from the front desk to help waiter. Our waiter wasn't that great either. He forgot several things and we had to leave our table to find him to get our check.
We were trying to be gracious because we were only going to be there one night, but when morning came and I had to take a shower..it wouldn't turn on. The handle would not budge. I woke my husband thinking he may be stronger than me, and he even couldn't turn it. We were afraid to break the handle off. So thankfully we had that next sitting room that had a bathroom so I had to take a shower in there. Also we left our order for breakfast on door the night before and they were 20 min past the time we had chosen. We were in a bit of a hurry that morning so the delay was not convenient.
Overall not a fun time, but we were there for business not pleasure so we just got through it. I certainly would not return for any other reason than a business trip, if I had to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank livhay
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the issues, delays and the quality of service you received. We always aim to be appropriately staffed to handle our guests with the attention they deserve and we will work harder to ensure this is not an issue in the future. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly to further discuss your concerns. Please reach out to me at the hotel at your convenience.

Duane Schroder,
(860) 728-5151
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is frequently almost full not because it's a great hotel but because it doesn't have much competition in Hartford. My poor rating isn't based on one experience but about 6 stays (20 nights) over a 2 month period for work travel.

Service is below Hilton levels. This check in process isn't particularly welcoming and on several occasions I've been told my corporate rate was confirmed only to find out on my final bill that it wasn't. They tried to tell me they couldn't honor that rate any more even though 3 of my coworkers were given the corporate rate for those same nights. On several occasions the hot water hasn't worked, one time they credited points but clearly they haven't solved the problem. Finally they only give body wash to people on executive floors, seriously how cheap are you? Cheap motels give body wash and you claim to be a premium hotel.

Keys are a constant problem. First the keys usually don't make it more than 1-2 nights before they stop working on your room and in the elevator. This isn't because things in my pocket; I've never had issues this frequently at hotels. It's a constant annoyance of getting to your room, bieng locked out and having to go downstairs for new keys. Similarly on 3-4 out of 6 stays my gold status wasn't designated on my key and I couldn't get into the club floor. On at least two occasions this was despite me asking them to make sure that it was designated. Really it can't be that hard.

Room upgrades rarely happen. I got upgraded maybe a quarter of my stays and the rooms were identical with only an additional bottle of water and body wash. What's the point? Status does get you access to a decent club room with free breakfast and snacks in the evening which is nice.

Room Tip: Get it at the Marriott or Sheraton in Rocky Hill or Windsor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NA740
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal guest of our hotel and for sharing feedback from your stays with the TripAdvisor community. Your input related to the appointment of our rooms is appreciated and is something I’ll use as we work to continuously improve our hotel.

I do apologize for your poor experience with our key cards. I am actively working with our facilities team to correct the key problems that some of our extended stay guests may experience. I’ve also taken your feedback regarding the room amenities to my team and we’ll be looking into additions that we may be able to offer in the future.

As a returning guest and HHonors member, I value your input and hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and accommodations you expect from us during your next trip to Hartford.

Duane Schroder,
Bucks County PA
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Everyone here is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and in good repair .I want to make special mention for the
folks that drive the shuttle as they will come and pick you up all over near the hotel such as restaurants ,from the train , from the office to the train and alleviate the taxis worry. A great service thank you.

• Stayed January 2013
I would like to take a moment to acknowledge your kind review on Trip Advisor. Please know that your feedback is truly appreciated. I am so pleased the Hotel was well-located for your needs and that you found our transportation services convenient. Your patronage is appreciated and we look forward to seeing you at our hotel again very soon.

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked the room through kayak.com for 200 dollars on New Year's Eve, a fair price for a room in the center of Hartford near all the action. However kayak charged my CREDIT card when I booked online, and then hotel charged my Debit card an additional 200 the day after. Thats 400 dollars for a ONE NIGHT STAY. I called Hilton on the 2nd of January and they assured me the charge would be removed, I waited four days and no refund was issued, I called again on the 6th and they again claimed they would rectify the error. STILL NOTHING. I have given them ample time to correct there mistake with no success so I've refuted the charge through Capitol One. Due to the Hartford Hilton's failure to resolve this SIMPLE ISSUE I will never stay in a Hilton hotel again.

Room Tip: Club floor is a ripoff save your money
Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex B
WHGGuestService, Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Alex – Please accept my apology for this card situation. I take all the information posted on TripAdvisor very seriously and have followed up with my associates regarding this matter. As of this writing, the charges have been reversed. I acknowledge that this level of service is unacceptable and I’m sorry that it took longer than usual for the hold to be released. I’d also like to assure you and the TripAdvisor community that this was an isolated incident and truly not representative of typical experiences at our hotel or brand. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally regarding this matter, so don’t hesitate to reach out to me by calling the hotel.

Duane Schroder