“Ok for Hilton”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Ok for Hilton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

Stayed at this hotel on business. Good downtown location but quiet at night. The one hotel restaurant sufficed and provides room service but I would rather eat at other local establishments. Good fitness facility and indoor pool (but no attendants). Parking garage is adjacent to the hotel lobby, $17 a day at tme of stay. Recently converted Sheraton and it appears that the upgrades were only cosmetic. I was surprised and concerned by a metal plate on the outside of my guestroom door (to prevent break in's)--I would expect such a thing a an exterior-access interstate motel but not at a full service hotel. The rooms are small but have good amenities but the maintenance left much to be desired--not all of the TV stations came in clear, patchy paint jobs, dirty hallway. And, the pipes in the bathroom were noisy all of the time. Housekeeping quality in my room was good.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

It's a nice hotel with good pool, good sauna (start it WAY in advance it takes a long time to warm up) and good exercise room. In our case, the main purpose was to spend a leisurely family morning using the facilities. But with one a few seconds warning, the hotel began scheduled fire alarm testing that went on for over an hour. They could have warned us when we made the reservation or when we checked in. We could have stayed elsewhere, or accepted the lost time and made plans to be out during that time. Instead, it caught us in bathing suit, in the pool area. Even then, they could have handled it decently by saying how long it would go on (they didn't) and by offering a voucher to go spend the next hour and a half at a restaurant at their expense, as a gesture of recompense (they didn't). Thinking it would be brief, we stayed for a while, going crazy with the flashing lights and loud alarms. When it showed no signs of stopping, we called the manager's office and complained, but got no useful information. We fled. Later we asked for compensation from the front desk, but got nothing. Only other complaint was no hot water in the bathroom nor the locker room until after we called and waited a while. Then they sent us some. Bottom line is fire alarms have to be tested, but when you sell someone a room for a day and you know something obnoxious is scheduled, you have a duty to warn and to offer compensation. Hilton flunked.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — Failure to warn about scheduled fire alarm testing, no hair dryer, extra charges for parking and internet.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank wxp
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2007

I have stayed at the Hilton Hartford on several occasions and have reviewed this hotel in the past. I dont usually write another review for a hotel unless there is something extraordinarily good or bad to update.

In this particular case, its bad and its pretty much the last straw for me and this hotel.

The hotel itself is fine, nothing stunning but a standard Hilton with well maintained rooms, bed and bathroom although the bath is a bit small. The gym is wonderful and the location is near where I have to be.

The downside to this hotel, and it is a huge downside is that the customer service at this location has consistently gone down every time I stay here to the point that it is horrible now. They have never got my reservation right, there is no recognition of diamond status here and frankly I think you get a better room if you dont have any status with Hilton because I cant imagine rooms in a worse place then they give me when im here. The hot water generally takes about 20 minutes to start flowing so plan on that. There is always something missing from the room, this time it was a hotel directory with a menu in it, when I called down to the desk to get a menu they kept insisting on dictating the menu to me over the phone, it took threating to talk to the manager to get one of them to bring one up.

Last time I was in Hartford I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn which was nearby and frankly had better service and nicer rooms so its time to stick a fork in this Hitlon, they are done with me, I will be staying there from now one.

• Liked — Its a pretty standard Hitlon, the gym is nice
  • Disliked — The staff is horrible
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank hdblue
pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2007

On December 6, 2007 while walking into the bathroom of my hotel room at the Hartford Hilton Hotel I unexpectedly stepped on a piece of broken glass that lodged into the bottom of my right foot on the outside of the instep causing significant pain and bleeding.
The extracted piece of glass was approximately 1 cm long.
I lodged a formal complaint against the Hotel for their negligence and irresponsibly that resulted in my personal injury. I have traveled extensively and have never had a similar experience at any other hotels. I am considering suing the Hilton Hotel for my personal injury and the Hilton Hotel’s negligence that caused this personal injury.

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank hartford123
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2007

Having spent the prior night at the Crowne Plaza (old, disappointing) I was very pleased with my executive floor room at the Hilton. The bed was comfy with great linens, the amenities were great, and the room was clean, modern and spacious. The club level free breakfast was better than the pay buffet in the coffee shop downstairs. I had a great meal from room service one night. Service at this hotel was quiet good, with a friendly and helpful concierge. I had some little complaints, such as the elevators being overwhelmed during peak times and my key card no working, but I would definitely stay here if in Hartford again.

A colleague who stayed at the Marriott was very disappointed in his hotel room, calling it old and dirty, and my room at the Crowne Plaza was not at all what I expected. The Hilton seems to be the best game in town.

• Liked — comfortable room
  • Disliked — problems with key card
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank JAtlanta
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

Pretty average hotel. I was there for a conference the same night the Bruce Springsteen concert was happening next door, so it was a little crazy at first. I was on the Executive level and the room was completely average, the Exec Level hospitality lounge was okay, charged for alchohol as most American Hiltons do, but they had great appetizers. Location was pretty good, a nice walk to the Convention Center located at the Marriott. The Hilton Bar was weird, the older lady bardtender was there by herself, and would close at midnight. And, she said they don't serve shots. It wasnt a horrible stay, but I don't feel the need to stay there again. The Marriott was beautiful, with great bars, restaurants and a Starbucks! We are staying there next time.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It was not very nice and just a weird kind of stay
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Bayside, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2007

Had an overnight stay at the Hilton in Hartford, CT for a business trip. Hotel was easily located off of 84 and can be easily spotted from the streets.

I was given probably the worst room as far as location goes. Lowest floor. Next to the elevator. And with a view of the roof of the conference rooms, along with another wall. Not what I expected for someone who has gold status with Hilton.

The room itself was nice, clean and homely. All pillows lacked fluffiness. My head would go straight through the pillow and be resting on the bed.

The bathroom was a little small... the door wouldnt need to be opened for 90 degrees, and it would smack the shower rod.

Internet access was $10. Parking was $17.

Going back to check-in, I thought it was great that the reception asked me if I wanted a wake-up call set up. I set it up. Of course, I never got the call in the morning. Fortunately, I set a back up alarm on my cell phone. The alarm clock in the bedroom did not work as well.

• Liked — homely feel of the room
  • Disliked — forgot my wake-up call
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business