“Shelter from the Storm”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Shelter from the Storm”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

After spending half the morning trying to find a hotel room for the night because of the state wide power outages, we got a room at the Hilton Hartford. Like most of the state it seemed, we found our way to the Hilton. After waiting 2 1/2 hours on line to check in, the room is nice but nothing special. When I walked into the room, the first thing I noticed was that the carpet was stained. At least the bed and pillows are excellent and we will get a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: 19th floor is for Hilton Honors clients and is excellent. Since Hartford is a city, be prepared for...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Korean first
Philly Area
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed at this property for three nights. Found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Room was clean, and well-kept during my stay. Restaurant staff all went out of their way to make meals efficient, friendly, and food was quite good. A free Star shuttle outside of the hotel takes you all around Hartford. Limited restaurants within walking distance, but the shuttle goes by many so you have a good choice.

Room Tip: Room was on the 10th floor facing front of hotel. Did not really hear the street noise. View is of a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2011

The first time we stayed here (2009) I was disappointed that the hotel wasn't more elegant for what it costs. My impression is still the same. Most of the staff (all but one - see below) is friendly and helpful - the concierges in particular - and the Cafe staff - and Peggy at the front desk.

There was a very loud group of people on our floor one night which woke us up at 2:30 AM. I should have called the front desk, but instead spoke to them instead. I checked with the desk later and they said if I had called, they would have sent Security up to find out what was going on with the rowdy crowd.

The most annoying thing that happened is that early (very early - 5:30 AM) on Sunday morning when my husband took a shower and was dripping wet, he discovered there were no bath towels. I tried to call the front desk but both phones rang "busy." I went down to the lobby and called out because there was no one in sight. The desk clerk was in an office behind the desk and came out eating something (probably didn't expect guests at that time - but lots of times people check out very early). I told her we needed towels and asked if she could give me some. She said, "no, they have to be sent up to your room." I went back to the room and waited 5 minutes - no towels - phone still not working - back to the lobby - the unfriendly and unsmiling desk clerk said she got the room number wrong and would call to have the towels sent to my room - which she did. I asked her what was wrong with the phone and she said there is a "short" in it and it sometimes doesn't work. She picked the receiver up and pushed a few buttons and it beeped a few times and she said that it was now working. I didn't try it later so I don't know if it was. It is a security issue if one can not call the front desk from one's room.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wibbus
Reviewed October 15, 2011

The people who run this hotel are warm, welcoming and helpful! And that is an understatement! Thank you! You rival any 5 star hotel in the world in taking care of your guests.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank wildbillys
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My friend and I stayed for one night on the weekend. Check in around 6:00 PM was easy as our reservation was made online. The parking lot is attached to the hotel, but with an event happening at the XL Center next door, parking was not that convenient as the lot was fairly full. The additional fee of $18 seems a little too high. The room was very clean and the beds(two double) were very comfortable. The bathroom was stocked with enough towels for the two of us. The towels were large and high quality. The usual assortment of mini shampoo, conditioner, and soap was provided, but the bathroom did not have a hair dryer. A coffeemaker was available, but no refrigerator. Hallway noise at night was bothersome once or twice, as was the extremely loud fight going on in the room next door. Of course, that could happen anywhere, but the walls seemed thin. At checkout, our bill was higher than the price we were quoted online (AAA), and the explanation given was that we probably hit the upgrade tab without realizing it. The upgrade was a breakfast bonus, so it was a good thing we checked the bill before we had our breakfast. The restaurant offered a large breakfast menu, including a buffet. The buffet was decent and included fresh fruit, cereals, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, yogurt and some dried fruit and granola. The menu had several omlette choices as well as other breakfast items. The food was average as was the service. The hotel's location make it an excellent spot as it is close to restaurants (we had a great late night snack and dessert at Salute right down the street) as well as other venues.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The biggest plus was the Hilton bedding. It doesn't get much better than Hilton bedding!! Room service was also VERY good and priced very well! We booked a king room but were first given a double, went back down to the desk and they changed it. Would have been nice if they just read our reservation and gave us the room to begin with. We had two nights on business and one night on our own. Apparently this complicated things. Overall, the front desk wasn't very accommodating - we wanted a late checkout and they would not even entertain that idea until they heard I was willing to pay. Thanks for doing me the favor. We didn't have housekeeping come once to clean our room {on our request}. I called once for fresh towels, additional toilet paper, and tissues and it was like I was asking for something completely outrageous. The pool and whirlpool need work, very outdated, and the whirlpool is TINY. Last time we were in CT on business we stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn and it was a lot nicer than the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
South Berwick, Maine
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Pluses: Nice beds, good "Hilton" bedding (great pillows and all bedding changed with every guest), convenient location, free wi-fi

Minuses: LOUD! We were on the 20th floor, and I was awakened with sirens and road noise throughout the night, the room is bare-bones (and we are on an "executive" floor)- no fridge, the bathroom is set up strangely (you can hardly reach the tp from the toilet), and there is a very limited TV channel selection (no food network, nick, etc). And parking was an additional $18.

The breakfast buffet was good, but fairly standard. I wouldn't have wanted to pay $35 for it (I got free coupons being a "diamond" member of their rewards program).

I used points in combination with money for my room, so it wasn't too expensive. It was better than a redroof or other cheap motel, but I would have been disappointed if I'd payed full price.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the Highway side must be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends