“I couldn't believe it was a Hilton!”
Review of Hilton Hartford

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Hartford
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff is very pleasant. We thought the Hilton name had always meant a top quality hotel so we were taken aback as soon as we checked in to this hotel for a one-night stay. The very lay-out of the lobby and an adjoining room (which seemed to have no purpoe) was strange. When we came into the dining room for dinner, it was clearly designed to be a quick hamburger lunch venue. We were seated in chairs that were too low for comfort, then moved to a booth-like area. To conclude, the bathtub had dark stains. No more Hiltons for us!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yesbut
There are newer reviews for Hilton Hartford

996 - 1,002 of 1,113 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2011

I've stayed in great hotels around the world but nowhere where the staff was warmer and more devoted to great service. Front desk staff & restaurant waitresses were unbelievably terrific. Good-natured, even entertaining, while attending to specific needs I had. Three other hotel employees rendered small services which I attempted to tip them for and they firmly insisted I keep my money--they were just happy to help. Amazing. Someone in mgmt is doing a GREAT job with staff guest services training and staff morale..

Now no hotel is perfect and this one did have a few curable problems. Rug and armchair were badly stained--gross. Maid service was annoying. Saturday at 901 am and Sunday at 906 am maid woke me up by rapping on my door with the edge of some metal object despite the Do Not Disturb sign hanging on my door lever. And while the service in the restaurant was excellent, the food certainly wasn't. Prep unsatisfactory & menu itself lacking in variety. Seemed like every third item contained mushrooms (which I don't like) as a signifcant ingredient. Finally, benches and chairs in the restaurant--whiich was really a coffee shop--were the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in in 40 years of dining as an adult.

Would I stay here again? You bet. But I'd let them know ahead of time to make sure the rug and armchair were clean, and I'd eat elsewhere (though I'd miss the funny banter of the waitresses!)

Room Tip: River view supposedly more pleasant.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Mr. Hospitality,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Your kind words regarding our Front House staff have been passed along and shared with our associates. We take great pride in ourselves for having a passion for hospitality and it's lovely to hear our guests recognize that. I have also spoken to the Head of Housekeeping to regarding your other issues. I sincerely apologize that you encountered problems during your stay with us, however I can assure you they will be addressed. Also, our restaurant is always open to suggestions for new menu items, but if you cannot find something that will suit your taste buds we are happy to suggest one of Hartford’s delicious restaurants that are in walking distance. We can't wait to have you come back to stay with us again!

Safe Travels,

Reviewed June 26, 2011

Probably the lease impressive Hilton that I have stayed at to date. Old and smells musky. Walls very thin and the room service was especially poor. For the price, try something else.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Hello momwifewoman,

We are sorry to hear you didn't not enjoy your time with us. All of our guest's comments are taken to heart as they help us improve our service and quality of stay. Your comments have been passed along to the Food and Beverage Director as well as our Housekeeping team. I apologize you did not have the best experience you could have while staying with us, however I would like to thank you for taking the time to letting us know how we can improve our property. We hope to see you again the next time you should be in Hartford. Until then, Safe travels.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

friendly staff, clean rooms, nice concierge breakfast in the mornings. only downside is the $18/night parking charge.

Room Tip: become a HH member
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

Thank you for your kind words. We're so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us here at the Hilton Hartford! Safe travels and we look forward to seeing you again! -The Hilton Hartford Team

Reviewed May 31, 2011

My colleague and I were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the staff at the Hilton Hotel in Hartford, CT. We didn't expect it from your average "businessman hotel." Everyone there from the bellman to the manager were genuinely nice. It seemed they all enjoyed working there and obviously showed in their performance and interaction with guests. Its a clean hotel in a good location downtown, but nothing special. However, I will stay there again whenever work brings me to Hartford because of the staff. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Get access to the club level
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2011

Hello rejoyceWashington_DC
Thank you for your review. Our staff is passionate about our guests and you described that perfectly in one word, “genuinely”. I have passed your kind comments along to all of our department managers for them to be shared with our associates. We all truly enjoy hearing we have succeeded in helping you have a memorable stay!

We look forward to your future stays with us here at the Hilton Hartford!
Safe Travels,
Helen Carr

Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Hilton Hartford really doesn't knock your socks off in any way, but it's sufficiently average enough that there's nothing too much to complain about either. Basically, if you're in it for the points, you won't be overly disappointed.

Rooms are ok: nothing new or trendy, but not noticeably tired either. The TVs aren't flat screens, there are no minibars or refrigerators, and the walls are adorned with standard hotel art and some faux silk wallpaper that reminds me of 1992. The bathrooms have strange floorplans, as the toilet sits flush against the shower and you have to do a lateral lunge just to reach the toilet paper under the sink. Rooms are usually clean, though I noticed a dried-up pee stain on the underside of the toilet seat this time around. In short, I wouldn't propose to anyone here, but it's fine for solo business travelers.

Room service is average though pretty limited for a hotel with this many business travelers. There is a nice bar on the first floor, which is great for relaxing or working. The gym is reasonably adequate if all you need is a treadmill, but you can use the much better equipped (and adjacent) YMCA gym for $6 per day. The Club Lounge is moderately sized; again, nothing too impressive. Parking is conveniently in an attached garage at $18 per night. It is almost too convenient to my room, as I am exactly at eye level with it, and overlook the lovely concrete wall buttressing the sides of the structure.

Service is slightly friendly, slightly indifferent, slightly unpolished. My main beef with the place is that they seem to have an inordinately large number of double/double rooms. I never can seem to get a king-bedded room, no matter how hard I beg the front desk at check-in. The location, however, is the best in Hartford, and you can walk to area restaurants (which is surprisingly unique for such a business-oriented town).

Room Tip: Insist on a high floor
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Hilton is by FAR the best hotel in Hartford. The staff from check in, baggage, housekeeping, concierge lounge all have it "goin on" first class. I can not say enough great things about this hotel and the staff that make it PERFECT! They always go out of their way and recently helped me with a last minute reservation for a colleage.
The location is perfect, nice walk to many good restaurants. The hotel has lovely faclities that I never seem to find time to use. When staying in Hartford the HILTON is always my choice and NEVER has let me down! Thanks to all...TR

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
hcarr, eCommerce Manager at Hilton Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2011

Hello daisy20071960
Thank you so much for your wonderful words about our hotel! We work very hard to make sure our guests have the best experience as we know, this is your home away from home while on the road. I have passed along your comments to each department of our hotel to share with all associates to let them know, their hard work is appreciated not just by our management, but by our guests as well! We look forward to having you with us again and as always, safe travels!
Helen Carr

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hartford Marriott Downtown
The Goodwin
#5 of 12 in Hartford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to Hilton Hartford? Share your experiences!