“Excellent”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pratt and Main
Description: Zula, meaning 'hideaway', is a refreshing addition to Hartford, Connecticut's downtown scene. Located in the heart of Downtown Hartford, Zula offers New American/Mediterranean Fusion cuisine in a contemporary, elegant setting. Fresh, top quality ingredients are the heart of the menu, which includes unique salads, soups and sandwiches as well as exceptional small plate offerings and entrees. The intimate bar, featuring an extensive martini menu, offers live music in the evenings. Join us for happy hour, 4 to 7, Monday through Friday and enjoy the very best of our menu at special prices.
Tolland, Connecticut
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Had an excellent night enjoying Taste of Hartford. We made a reservations and even though we were late due to traffic it wasn't an issue. The selection was better than I expect for TOH, since I have been to a few other restaurants to find a very limited selection. The appetizers & our meal was huge and we ended up taking our dessert home. We took advantage of the special wine offer and enjoyed a great bottle. I have no doubt that we will be back.

• Visited July 2012

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I was excited to try Zula, especially given its location and menu - looked like a good, fun option with interesting food. The interior is nice - big window looking out to the street, a burnished silver/light green theme inside, and tall tables with plenty of space between them. Unfortunately, that's where the good experience ended, really. The waitress did not know what beers were on tap, and she had to return with information that what we had ordered was out. The menus were dirty with food, we had to ask for the specials, and she told us that only some entrees came with bread as we waited. The chopped salad was drenched in dressing, and the mac n cheese that sounded so delicious was really, really dry. My impression is that the original recipes and plan for the place were good, but the current staff is not delivering. No reason to return, since there are other reliably good restaurants in the area.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank tandrys
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst customer service!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I don't know why I didn't listen to the previous review of this place. I went for Taste of Hartford with my fiancé Friday night. We made a reservation for 7:30 and arrived at 7:45 due to not finding parking. When we get there we waited for about 3 minutes for a hostess. When she finally came over she asked if we could wait at the bar for a few minutes while they wait for the the people at the table to finish up and leave. She made it seem like it would just be about 5 minutes. We get to the bar and ordered a beer and the bartender just lacked some sense. She kept asking if we are eating at the bar. I said no about 3 times. Me and fiancé drank 1 beer quite slowly and time just passed by. I noticed the hostess hanging out with the a group of people at a table drinking a glass of wine and laughing. While she clearly sees us sitting at the bar waiting for a word about our table. Wth I was very upset that we were ignored! We paid and left!! Never again.

1 Thank Starr N
East Hampton, CT
“Good Service & Good Food”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We just tried Zula for the first time during Restaurant Week (Taste of Hartford) and were not disappointed. The restaurant has a hip, modern feel but we also had flowers & a candle at our table. As the evening went on the lights dimmed to create an ambience.
Our server was very attentive and recommended the prime rib from the restaurant week menu. For $20.12 each we had a 4 course dinner - you can't beat that. The soups were very good, followed by a mussels appetizer or a fried mozzarella, and in our party of 4 we ordered 2 of the prime rib, 1 salmon dinner, and 1 pasta dinner. All were delicious - the guys said their potato mash was outstanding. We all chose the peach cobbler for dessert, and ordered a bottle of wine that would've cost almost double at the restaurant where my husband works from time to time. The portions were just right - not too big and certainly with a 4 course meal for $20.12 we expected small portions - but no one left hungry!
The owner (or manager) stopped to check on us during dinner and again as we exited the restaurant. It was a lovely evening downtown for us. I'd certainly go back again.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank easthamptontraveler
Marlborough, Connecticut, United States
“Worst restaurant in Hartford”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We went for the "Taste of Hartford". I've been wanting to try the restaurant for months but never had an occasion. The service was horrendous. There were 4 other tables in the restaurant and yet our server couldn't take our order for 20 minutes, let alone get our drinks. We felt very ignored for the entire time we were there. Our server Cassie, forgot our wine. After having to ask her 10 minutes later she blamed the bar for being busy, when there was no one there. Everyone had their appetizers except me, for 10 minutes. I received mine as she was clearing the other girls appetizers. We got our meals together which was nice. My prime rib was well done, essentially hockey puck. I ordered it medium rare. The server assured me that it was because they had cooked it together.

All in all, the service was terrible. The food was mediocre. The ambiance sucked. I would never go back to this restaurant. I've never had such a bad experience at any upscale restaurant in Hartford.

DO NOT GO HERE!