“For a satisfying Nabeyaki Udon/Soba fix, go to Murasaki.”

Murasaki Cafe at The Mark Twain House & Museum
Cuisines: Japanese
Description: The Mark Twain House & Museum is thrilled to welcome Murasaki, West Hartford's award-winning Japanese restaurant, as its new museum cafe operator. Murasaki Cafe, located in the stunning Mark Twain Museum Center, serves both Japanese favorites and American classics with a Japanese twist. Admission to the museum is not required. Hours: 11:30-4:00 Monday-Saturday. Closed Tuesdays Jan-March.
Manchester, Connecticut
“For a satisfying Nabeyaki Udon/Soba fix, go to Murasaki.”
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I would consider myself an enthusiast in hearty Asian soups - specifically Vietnamese Pho and Japanese Nabeyaki Udon or Soba. Choices are somewhat limited in the Hartford area for places that serve these and while they all served very good Nabeyakis, none stood out as memorable and as tasty as Murasaki's. Out of 4 places we frequent for this Japanese treat (Harford/Manchester area), we were pleasantly surprised by the sweet/salty broth and how it gracefully melded with the the noodles to produce a tasty and chewy treat. The tempura shrimp was not overwhelmed by the panko breading and were the perfect foil for the noodles and soup. Because price was at par with our other soup haunts, it's a no-brainer for us to come back to Murasaki if we need another Nabeyaki soup fix.

Visited April 2011

Chapel Hill, NC
“Wow!”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

The house itself is AWESOME. The juxtaposition of a Japanese restaurant within the attached museum seemed strange, but my wife and I have recently taken to sushi so we figured we'd give it a shot. Given this, I am no expert in sushi, but I have had it a dozen or so times and I thought this place was fantastic. $14 got you 6 sushi, 4 sashimi and 3 cali roll. It was mostly salmon, tuna and swordfish, nothing too risky. The fish was high quality.

Not only that, the miso soup was outstanding, and the ramen noodle dish my wife ordered was smoky and unique, and one of the best I have ever had - and these are meals I have much more experience with.

This place is a perfect place for lunch while enjoying a top literary site.