New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites

BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
Jersey
“Not the best, not the worst..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

I will start by saying that we booked this hotel while still driving on the interstate. We chose this location over the Holiday Inn-downtown because it had free parking. It is convenient to the highway, but it is in an area that doesn't have much around it - an industrial park and an airport. The woman who booked our room was very professional and courteous. We arrived around 11.45 p.m., and the gentleman at the front desk was also professional and courteous a bonus for us as we had a very long day of travel. Our room was close to the entrance.
Pros - the water pressure in the shower was excellent. It was wonderful. The shower tiles, grout and ceiling had zero mildew/mold. That made me extremely happy. There is nothing worse than being skeeved in a shower you are supposed to be getting clean in! The room was warm and linens were clean.
cons- the room smelled a bit musty, as if it hadn't been aired out recently. Not enough to make us want to swap rooms or complain, just needed some fresh air I think. Breakfast the decaf coffee wasn't very hot. Granted, we didn't sit down to the complimentary breakfast until 9.30 that morning, but when a girl wants coffee, she expects it to be Hot. My husbands bagel had bits of mold on it. Maybe it was just that one bagel, but it made me wonder how long/ how many times it was put out.. and whether the eggs, bacon and cinnamon roll I ate were fresh. (The cinnamon roll was tasty).
I was glad that the room was warm, clean and convenient to the highway. If we stay in hartford again , we will probably stay in the downtown area closer to restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Jerseyfoodie,

I appreicate your genuine feedback and letting us know our opportunities for improvement. Many guests choose to stay with us due to convenience of being off the highway and they dont have to pay $16.00 additonal to park in a dark garage. We offer a complimentary shuttle so our guests do not have to get frustrated with traffic or finding a place to park within a 10 mile radius of our hotel.

I see you are a foodie as I and I am sorry you did not get a chance to try the restaurant Chowder Pot next door to us. Great Seafood!

I do hope you give us another chance. Call me first and I will make sure your room is fresh and ready for your arrival. And take advantage of our complimentary shuttle!

Hope to see you soon!
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Union, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, all with big smiles. The rooms were clean and updated somewhat.
We were there for a family gathering, and having the location close to the highway made it easy for us to visit the U of Hartford performing arts.
The only complaints I had were that the 5 of us were not placed on the same floor(even though I specially asked for this) and the rooms did not have a refrigerator since we were traveling with a baby and need to keep some of his food cold.
Otherwise we all had a nice time, even spent a few hours in the lobby area without any hassle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear SharonG,

I am so glad you chose us to have your family gathering. So nice to take time and appreciate what matters most in life--family and loved ones!

Not all of our rooms are equipped with fridges but we have them available complimentary upon request. I apologize that we did not offer that upon check in as we normally do when we see young children expecting you may need snacks and drinks for them fduring their stay. We do try to put guests with the same las tname near each other although it will depend on room types requested.

If you have another gathering next year please call me personally at 860-525-1000 and I will work with you to get the rooms near each other and equipped with microwaves and fridges.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was extremely satisfied and impressed with my stay here! I had mentioned in my reservation that there was a birthday, when we returned from dinner there were balloons in the room! It was very thoughtful of the staff to do that for us!! I had also mentioned that I would need a refrigerator in the room, that was also in the room as well! We were even late to breakfast but they let us sit down in the lobby and eat a little bit! The managers stopped by to wish 'happy birthday' and ask how are stay was. Some of them even stayed and chatted a little bit. - the room itself was awesome! I wasn't expecting it to be a large as it was. It was very clean, and warm (hahah it was cold last night)! Overall we had a fantastic stay and if we're ever in the area again, I would definitely return!! Thank you for suh a good stay! And for the balloons!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Ducharmmem,

I stopped having birthdays a few years ago; but, we are glad you chose to celebrate your special day with us. We actually were able to upgrade you to one of our executive suites since it was your day. I am glad you enjoyed.

Our Front Office Manager, Arsenio noted it was your birthday in our daily staff meeting so we thought an upgrade and balloons would make it that more special.

Thanks for noting that we have an excellent team here at the Holiday Inn Express! Hopefully, we will see you next year same time!

Have a great holiday.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I walked in to the holiday inn express not too long ago . I was having a rough day so i needed to get away from my house. I was greatly greeted by a woman named Myrna. She had a great vibe to her i was informed about the free breakfast and when I needed help with the tv she helped! I would love to return just for the fact i had my day turned around due to a great staff at the holiday inn express.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank amichellex5
Dear Amichellex5,

What a great story to share at this time of year. We all get overwhelmed with life and need to escape. I am glad to read that Myrna was able to change your day!

Myrna is a valuable asset to our team and a joy to work with and I am glad she was able to help you! We will be here if you need to escape....

Happy Holidays
Plainfield, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We flew into Hartford and stayed at this Holiday Inn Express before driving to Massachusetts the next day. We arrived around 6:30pm. Alexandra was at the front desk, and she was friendly, and exceptionally helpful. She noticed I was walking with a cane, and immediately offered to change the room they had planned for us, to save me a long walk down the hall. We took her up on the offer, and I was thrilled that I only had to walk a few steps to the room. I appreciate the extra attention to our needs and the suggested solution. Alexandra also recommended the restaurant next door for dinner, and it was outstanding!

The room was quite clean and comfortable, towels and standard toiletries well stocked, and more than adequate for our short stay. The TV was in good repair with a nice selection of channels. Bed was comfy, too.

Overall, an A+ property and experience. We would stay here again if the opportunity comes up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear TeresaK,

I am so glad that Alexandra saw an opportunity and made your stay better. Our halls are long and I am glad to read that she took the initiative to change your room. She is such a loving caring person and we are fortunate to have her on our team!

The Chowder Pot gets rave reviews! A nice convenience when staying at our hotel! I appreciate your time and thank you for acknowldging Alex!

We hope to see you soon!

Lisa
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Extra friendly service from the minute we walked in the door. Lisa greeted us with a warm smile and offered helpful suggestions for places to go for dinner. The hot tub was a treat. very clean throughout the property. our room was quiet. a nice breakfast with more options than the usual cold choices offered for a continental breakfast. sharon also extra helpful and friendly overseeing our breakfast experience. although this hotel was more expensive than some other options in the area it was worth the extra money. i wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: room on second floor left (south?) quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear BABS38,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. I share the reviews daily with our staff and Sharon is working Breakfast tomorrow so I cannot wait to share with her and her peers. Our company WNW is acknowledging great service and she will be happy to see your review.

We hope to see you again! Happy Holidays!

Lisa
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed in the car while my husband checked in and when he came back out, he said how great the front desk clerk Sam was. That was a first that he was so complementary about checking in! When we got to the room, I discovered it was a handicapped room which was fine except the shower head was very low. It could be hand held, but since there was no shower stall, I could see that water would go everywhere. I went out and asked if there was another room available and Sam was very accommodating, but all they had were smoking rooms, so we stayed where we were. Taking a shower was uncomfortable and messy as I thought it would be. It would be very helpful if there was a way to hook the shower head up higher as well as down low. That said, when we were traveling earlier this year when I had a broken leg, I would have liked the shower a whole lot more. Everything else about our stay was fine, the room was clean and comfortable and breakfast had lots of choices.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear JWM310,

I know today travelers have so many choices of where to stay. We are glad you chose us! I am glad that you and your husband both had a chance to encounter Sam...She is a definite asset to our team. She has such an outgoing infectious personality!

I do apologize that you had difficulty with the shower. It sound like you had a roll-in shower which while roomy can be difficult to maneuver if one is not use to it.

If you are in the area again call us ahead of time and I will preassign your room ensuring it is not a handicapped room.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
3.5 of 5 stars 348 reviews
Red Roof PLUS+ Hartford Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford
Residence Inn Hartford Downtown

Been to BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!