New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
Union, New Jersey, United States
“family fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, all with big smiles. The rooms were clean and updated somewhat.
We were there for a family gathering, and having the location close to the highway made it easy for us to visit the U of Hartford performing arts.
The only complaints I had were that the 5 of us were not placed on the same floor(even though I specially asked for this) and the rooms did not have a refrigerator since we were traveling with a baby and need to keep some of his food cold.
Otherwise we all had a nice time, even spent a few hours in the lobby area without any hassle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear SharonG,

I am so glad you chose us to have your family gathering. So nice to take time and appreciate what matters most in life--family and loved ones!

Not all of our rooms are equipped with fridges but we have them available complimentary upon request. I apologize that we did not offer that upon check in as we normally do when we see young children expecting you may need snacks and drinks for them fduring their stay. We do try to put guests with the same las tname near each other although it will depend on room types requested.

If you have another gathering next year please call me personally at 860-525-1000 and I will work with you to get the rooms near each other and equipped with microwaves and fridges.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was extremely satisfied and impressed with my stay here! I had mentioned in my reservation that there was a birthday, when we returned from dinner there were balloons in the room! It was very thoughtful of the staff to do that for us!! I had also mentioned that I would need a refrigerator in the room, that was also in the room as well! We were even late to breakfast but they let us sit down in the lobby and eat a little bit! The managers stopped by to wish 'happy birthday' and ask how are stay was. Some of them even stayed and chatted a little bit. - the room itself was awesome! I wasn't expecting it to be a large as it was. It was very clean, and warm (hahah it was cold last night)! Overall we had a fantastic stay and if we're ever in the area again, I would definitely return!! Thank you for suh a good stay! And for the balloons!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Ducharmmem,

I stopped having birthdays a few years ago; but, we are glad you chose to celebrate your special day with us. We actually were able to upgrade you to one of our executive suites since it was your day. I am glad you enjoyed.

Our Front Office Manager, Arsenio noted it was your birthday in our daily staff meeting so we thought an upgrade and balloons would make it that more special.

Thanks for noting that we have an excellent team here at the Holiday Inn Express! Hopefully, we will see you next year same time!

Have a great holiday.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I walked in to the holiday inn express not too long ago . I was having a rough day so i needed to get away from my house. I was greatly greeted by a woman named Myrna. She had a great vibe to her i was informed about the free breakfast and when I needed help with the tv she helped! I would love to return just for the fact i had my day turned around due to a great staff at the holiday inn express.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank amichellex5
Dear Amichellex5,

What a great story to share at this time of year. We all get overwhelmed with life and need to escape. I am glad to read that Myrna was able to change your day!

Myrna is a valuable asset to our team and a joy to work with and I am glad she was able to help you! We will be here if you need to escape....

Happy Holidays
Plainfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We flew into Hartford and stayed at this Holiday Inn Express before driving to Massachusetts the next day. We arrived around 6:30pm. Alexandra was at the front desk, and she was friendly, and exceptionally helpful. She noticed I was walking with a cane, and immediately offered to change the room they had planned for us, to save me a long walk down the hall. We took her up on the offer, and I was thrilled that I only had to walk a few steps to the room. I appreciate the extra attention to our needs and the suggested solution. Alexandra also recommended the restaurant next door for dinner, and it was outstanding!

The room was quite clean and comfortable, towels and standard toiletries well stocked, and more than adequate for our short stay. The TV was in good repair with a nice selection of channels. Bed was comfy, too.

Overall, an A+ property and experience. We would stay here again if the opportunity comes up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear TeresaK,

I am so glad that Alexandra saw an opportunity and made your stay better. Our halls are long and I am glad to read that she took the initiative to change your room. She is such a loving caring person and we are fortunate to have her on our team!

The Chowder Pot gets rave reviews! A nice convenience when staying at our hotel! I appreciate your time and thank you for acknowldging Alex!

We hope to see you soon!

Lisa
Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Extra friendly service from the minute we walked in the door. Lisa greeted us with a warm smile and offered helpful suggestions for places to go for dinner. The hot tub was a treat. very clean throughout the property. our room was quiet. a nice breakfast with more options than the usual cold choices offered for a continental breakfast. sharon also extra helpful and friendly overseeing our breakfast experience. although this hotel was more expensive than some other options in the area it was worth the extra money. i wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: room on second floor left (south?) quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear BABS38,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. I share the reviews daily with our staff and Sharon is working Breakfast tomorrow so I cannot wait to share with her and her peers. Our company WNW is acknowledging great service and she will be happy to see your review.

We hope to see you again! Happy Holidays!

Lisa
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed in the car while my husband checked in and when he came back out, he said how great the front desk clerk Sam was. That was a first that he was so complementary about checking in! When we got to the room, I discovered it was a handicapped room which was fine except the shower head was very low. It could be hand held, but since there was no shower stall, I could see that water would go everywhere. I went out and asked if there was another room available and Sam was very accommodating, but all they had were smoking rooms, so we stayed where we were. Taking a shower was uncomfortable and messy as I thought it would be. It would be very helpful if there was a way to hook the shower head up higher as well as down low. That said, when we were traveling earlier this year when I had a broken leg, I would have liked the shower a whole lot more. Everything else about our stay was fine, the room was clean and comfortable and breakfast had lots of choices.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear JWM310,

I know today travelers have so many choices of where to stay. We are glad you chose us! I am glad that you and your husband both had a chance to encounter Sam...She is a definite asset to our team. She has such an outgoing infectious personality!

I do apologize that you had difficulty with the shower. It sound like you had a roll-in shower which while roomy can be difficult to maneuver if one is not use to it.

If you are in the area again call us ahead of time and I will preassign your room ensuring it is not a handicapped room.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

The management and entire staff goes out of their way to ensure guests are satisfied. I've been staying at this hotel on a weekly basis for about six years and ALWAYS have a fantastic experience. On the rare occasion that something is not up to par in my room, Alfonso, the engineer, fixes the problem quickly and is very friendly and courteous! Five star service all the time!

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear TamHarris6,

Thank you so much for a great review. I know your time is precious and I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review. More importantly you acknowledged someone who works behind the scenes and does not always get the recognition he deserves.

Alphonso does the maintenance on all of this property and he takes pride in his job. He has been here for quite some time and has a good working relationship with his co-workers, the management team and more importantly our guests.

Happy Holidays! and see you next week!

GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#6 of 11 in Hartford
Red Roof PLUS+ Hartford Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford
Residence Inn Hartford Downtown

Been to BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!