“friendly service”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Hartford
Brookline, Massachusetts
“friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Extra friendly service from the minute we walked in the door. Lisa greeted us with a warm smile and offered helpful suggestions for places to go for dinner. The hot tub was a treat. very clean throughout the property. our room was quiet. a nice breakfast with more options than the usual cold choices offered for a continental breakfast. sharon also extra helpful and friendly overseeing our breakfast experience. although this hotel was more expensive than some other options in the area it was worth the extra money. i wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: room on second floor left (south?) quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear BABS38,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. I share the reviews daily with our staff and Sharon is working Breakfast tomorrow so I cannot wait to share with her and her peers. Our company WNW is acknowledging great service and she will be happy to see your review.

We hope to see you again! Happy Holidays!

Lisa
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed in the car while my husband checked in and when he came back out, he said how great the front desk clerk Sam was. That was a first that he was so complementary about checking in! When we got to the room, I discovered it was a handicapped room which was fine except the shower head was very low. It could be hand held, but since there was no shower stall, I could see that water would go everywhere. I went out and asked if there was another room available and Sam was very accommodating, but all they had were smoking rooms, so we stayed where we were. Taking a shower was uncomfortable and messy as I thought it would be. It would be very helpful if there was a way to hook the shower head up higher as well as down low. That said, when we were traveling earlier this year when I had a broken leg, I would have liked the shower a whole lot more. Everything else about our stay was fine, the room was clean and comfortable and breakfast had lots of choices.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear JWM310,

I know today travelers have so many choices of where to stay. We are glad you chose us! I am glad that you and your husband both had a chance to encounter Sam...She is a definite asset to our team. She has such an outgoing infectious personality!

I do apologize that you had difficulty with the shower. It sound like you had a roll-in shower which while roomy can be difficult to maneuver if one is not use to it.

If you are in the area again call us ahead of time and I will preassign your room ensuring it is not a handicapped room.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

The management and entire staff goes out of their way to ensure guests are satisfied. I've been staying at this hotel on a weekly basis for about six years and ALWAYS have a fantastic experience. On the rare occasion that something is not up to par in my room, Alfonso, the engineer, fixes the problem quickly and is very friendly and courteous! Five star service all the time!

• Stayed November 2012
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear TamHarris6,

Thank you so much for a great review. I know your time is precious and I appreciate you taking the time to complete a review. More importantly you acknowledged someone who works behind the scenes and does not always get the recognition he deserves.

Alphonso does the maintenance on all of this property and he takes pride in his job. He has been here for quite some time and has a good working relationship with his co-workers, the management team and more importantly our guests.

Happy Holidays! and see you next week!

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I did not make a reservation here. I was a walk-in at about 9pm. I was driving from NYC to NH and decided to stay over somewhere. This was the first place I saw. They had a room available and the price was OK. The person behind the front desk was not very pleasant except when her friends came in from outside and they started chatting while I was waiting to be helped.

After I checked-in went back out to my car to get my things. There was a group of guys outside (some of them the friends that were chatting with the receptionist) and they were running around, smoking, staring and making me feel completely uncomfortable. I am a 26 year old girl and I was traveling by myself. Maybe they were completely nice guys, but they were clearly not staying at the hotel, so why were they hanging around? It made me feel uncomfortable about my safety and also I was worried about leaving my car somewhere that I couldn't see it. I moved my car as close to the window to my room as I could.

I got settled into my room. It was decent. It was clean and actually a very good size. The bed was fairly uncomfortable though. The one thing that baffled me was that the only curtains were thin sheer white curtains that closed all the way. The larger curtains were only on the sides and did not close at all. I was on the ground floor so this made it possible for everyone to see directly into my room from the outside, especially with my lights on. Again I felt uncomfortable. I had to change in the bathroom. And now anyone from the outside could tell which room i was staying in.

Continental breakfast was very good. A lot of selections and in a nice large room next to the hotel lobby. This was a plus.

Perhaps if I was traveling with someone else this would have been a more enjoyable experience. And while nothing bad DID happen, I just feel that it is important for hotels to make their guests feel safe and comfortable. It is hard enough staying in a strange place, but feeling unsafe while in that strange place is the worst.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear JEBraley,

I am sorry to read that you did not feel comfortable staying here as many guests say we are like their home away from home. Behind the sheers are black out liners which completely close and block out the sun for light sleepers and for privacy.

To add a sense of Security please know in the future the local Hartford Police actually use one of our guest rooms as a sub station to do their paperwork and reports on each shift. They also enjoy our coffee!

If you are in the area again I do hope you give us another opportunity please call me directly and I will ensure you have a room on the second floor. I am also speaking with my staff as friends should not be at the hotel while they are working and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I hope you have a happy and safe holiday!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel is actually outside the downtown area and so a shuttle is required to get to the financial district. If the other hotels in the centre weren't all booked out, I would have stayed somewhere else. Friendly staff.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear JasonNyilas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that we did not get a chance to impress you with our great service during your stay!

We do offer a complimentary shuttle that brings guests to downtown Hartford. Many guests enjoy the convenience of our hotel off the highway and no parking charges. Most hotels in downtown Hartford charge for parking while other guests do not want the hassle of traffic or finding a good parking spot.

I hope that you will give us another chance to provide excellent guest service!

Highland, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked here for one night on a business trip because I'd been having good luck with other holiday inn express properties. However, I did not have a great experience at this hotel. To start off with, the staff gave me the wrong room key the first time. It was a long walk to the wrong room, and somewhat embarrassing to be trying to get into someone else's room. When I got back to the front desk, they were apologetic, but I was certainly hesitant when after another five minute walk to my room I tried the next door. Luckily the second time it worked. The building is older and poorly lit. It is not anything like the newer holiday inn expresses hotels I've stayed in. The bed was not comfortable. Frankly, I thought the property could pass better for a motel 6. I will not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for something that's relatively near the front desk. I'm not sure where I was, but it w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Erich P,

I am sorry to hear that my staff did not take the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel. We take pride in our property and do not feel it is close to a Motel 6. Recently we have added 42" high def TV’s expanding the channel line up to include high def channels. We have many long term guests that enjoy that convenience and the use of our complimentary shuttle and other amenities we provide.

If you would like to contact me directly you can email me at hartfordgm@wnwhospitality.com. Of course as a leader my goal is to have every guest leave happy but since we did not please afford me the opportunity to try and change your opinion of our hotel.

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived very late at night as planned and were greeted by a very friendly and professional desk clerk, who gave clear information on the hotel offerings. Our next experience was not so good, as I had a very difficult time getting the dead bolt set to secure the room. A notification the next day of this problem was met with assurance that the building engineer would correct the problem right away. The dead bolt problem was never corrected, considering that my wife and I stayed at this located for six days. As local news reports described the potential effect of Hurricane Sandy in the Connecticut area, I asked the front desk clerk on duty (early evening) if there was a contingency plan for hotel guests. He raised his hands high over his head, crossed his fingers, closed his eyes, bowed his head (as if to pray), and said, "That's the plan." That was not good enough for me, so we departed a day early to catch the last flight out to our home in Las Vegas. Regarding the room quality and housekeeping service, the bed mattress should be evaluated, considering that my wife and I could feel the coils upon lying down for a good night's rest. As always (and at every Holiday Inn Express that we have stayed in nationwide), the pillows are not comfortable. Our remedy - we bring our pillows from home! The housekeeper made up the bed nicely each day, except that she left the pillows laying on the chairs/couches, everyday!! The in-room coffee station was not adequately serviced. The bathroom was cleaned very well. Although the staff was very friendly, this particular Holiday Inn Express location was sub-par, in comparison to all of the other locations in our years of doing business with this hotel chain. Some renovations and room upgrades will rectify the conditions here. When we return to Hartford next year, we will investigate the other Hoilday Inn Express, located near Bradley International Airport.

Room Tip: I have no other remarks other than the review statement.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hartfordgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Billy C;

I am glad you enjoyed your arrival but I am sorry that we did not repair the privacy lock before your departure.

Please know that we a contingency plan in place and a few prayers! I apologize that you received such an answer. But we had purchased additional water, batteries, flashlights, the Engineer and I verified each Ekey to ensure guest access if we did lose power in the hotel and we had additional food delivered as our occupancy increased dramatically and the employees spent the night so we could continue to provide excellent service. Obviously there is more that we did in preparation of damage and/or lost power but I will not list them.

We were fortunate as with a full hotel we did not lose power.

I am glad that you arrived home safely as many guests were stranded in New England as flights did not leave right away. Starting next year Holiday Inn and Express are implementing a new pillow program with larger soft and firm pillows which we are very excited about!

I am actually leaving Saturday on a weeks vacation but if you would like to speak to me you may call meat 860-525-1000 or email me at hartfordgm@wnwhospitality.com.

Thank you for your valuable feedback as I have reviewed this with the staff at our daily stand up meetings!

GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hartford
Hilton Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
#5 of 11 in Hartford
Residence Inn Hartford Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford

Been to BEST WESTERN Hartford Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!