Open today: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Review Highlights
Informative and educational

visited here with our granddaughter (12) and had a great tour which last about one hour and 45... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
BARRY C
Hebron, Connecticut
Awesome!

We loved the in-character tour by The maid Lizzy (Barbara). Great info and fun facts! The house is... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
CarrieBorzillo
Los Angeles, California
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Hartford
from $10.26
from $20.52
from $10.26
1,601 results
All reviews his life living history samuel clemens the mark twain house our tour guide ken burns tom sawyer huckleberry finn billiard room regular tour gift shop great tour his wife step back in time visitor center next door the kitchen
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A delightfully restored house with some exceptionally talented guides. They walk you through the house as if you are a guest. The museum and exhibits on the grounds add the the excitement and when you enter the gift store you never knew how many books and incredible quotes Mark Twain created!

Date of experience: October 2019
Reviewed January 14, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed my 'private' tour with Ben! It was a quiet day so it was just me since my son got sick earlier in the day. Ben was knowledgeable and I found out things about Sam Clemens I didn't know prior to my visit.

Although the museum itself was under construction, the house was well worth the price of admission.

Highly recommended.

Date of experience: January 2020
Reviewed January 6, 2020 via mobile

We did the guided tour with the ‘Housekeeper’ in her character role. Very interesting & informative. The guide kept in character throughout the tour until the end. Lots of things to see and discover.

Reviewed December 29, 2019

This was the best historic house tour I've taken, and I have been on many. The restoration is nearly perfect, S.L. Clemens is a very interesting personality, and the in-character tour guide was great. It's a wonderful view of upper-class life in the gilded age, in a beautiful house (which was Twain's favorite home).
The tour is a bargain at $20. There is easy access from the highway or downtown Hartford - but use 385 Farmington Avenue, Hartford for GPS to the parking lot. Otherwise you'll get to the main address and handicap lot (65 Forest Street) and need to go on a round-about drive.
Be aware that there are a few flights of stairs and there is no photography inside. The visitor center (included with the tours or $6 by itself) is handicapped-accessible and shows some very interesting artifacts. A small cafe has some sandwiches - I can personally say the Chicken Salad wrap was delicious.
The site is adjacent to the Harriet Beecher Stowe house, I intend to visit it next time I'm in Hartford.

1  Thank RustyMuther
Reviewed December 27, 2019

House and tour were very interesting. Would do it again. Our tour guide was an actor representing the oldest daughter and she kept in character through the whole tour. Really enjoyed the trip