“This was wonderful!”

The Mark Twain House & Museum
Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Hartford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Mark Twain House & Museum, a National Historic Landmark in Hartford, Connecticut, was the home of America's greatest author, Samuel Clemens (a.k.a. Mark Twain) and his family from 1874 to 1891. It is also where Twain lived when he wrote his most important works, including Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Prince and The Pauper and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. A stunning example of Picturesque Gothic architecture, the 25-room home features a dramatic grand hall, a lush glass conservatory, a grand library and the handsome billiard room where Twain wrote his famous books. The Webster Bank Museum Center at The Mark Twain House & Museum offers visitors an opportunity to learn more about Mark Twain, his family, the historic house, and the author's legacy. This state-of-the-art facility houses our ticket desk; the Aetna Gallery with a permanent exhibition on Twain's life and work; a rotating exhibition hall, The Hartford Financial Services Theatre, showing a Ken Burns mini-documentary on Twain; classroom space; the lecture hall-style Lincoln Financial Auditorium; The Mark Twain Store; entertaining spaces like the soaring Hal Holbrook and the sunny second floor cafe/patio area.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I took my children to this museum while we were staying near Hartford. We were pressed for time and did not get to go to the museum, so this review is only for the house. Al was our tour guide and he was terrific. He was very knowledgeable about the life of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) and his family. The house is full of history and my oldest enjoyed hearing the stories about the family and what games the children played, what stories were told to them, etc. The tour goes through three stories and there are stairs to climb to get to each story. If you have mobility problems, they do offer folding chairs in each room so that you can stay with the tour and sit down. If you have a problem with stairs, you will not be able to see the additional two stories. The home is gorgeous and full of history. We all enjoyed the tour very much. If you have time, do the combo tour with the Harriet Beecher Stowe home - she and Samuel Clemens were neighbors. If we had had more time, I would have loved to do both tours and visit the museum. The tour lasts about an hour and I would allow at least two hours, maybe more, for the house and museum.

The museum offers wheelchair access and elevators. There is a large parking area.

1  Thank dbae27

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We enjoyed the tour of Twain's home and museum. insight into Mark Twain and his life was great. This home was where he wrote so many of the classics.

Tours were small depending on the time of day and tour guide did a fine job describing era of the day. Home was really wonderful to see and enjoy.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I had a great time and enjoyed the tour immensely. It is too bad you cannot take photos inside the home because it is remarkable and I would have liked to show my friends and family.

The tour guide was knowledgeable and gave a very good, thorough tour. I learned a lot too! Naturally, if you aren't interested in Mark Twain or in American Literature in general, you might not be as impressed as I was. However, I think almost anyone would find it to be worth going to.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We really enjoyed our tour of Mark Twain's home in Hartford and tour guide was quite knowledgeable, as you would expect, however we did feel that at $18 each it was quite expensive.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Since I grew up in Missouri, I was immediately interested in touring Mark Twain's "eastern home", having spent much time in Twain-related buildings in Hannibal, MO and Louisiana, MO. I even tried to get lost in the Mark Twain Cave south of Hannibal. The Architecture and decorations in the House were extremely interesting. The organization that owns and shows the House have done an excellent job of renovating the buildings. They only need to explain to their guides that Louisiana, MO (Twain's birthplace) is NOT in the deep South and that it is, in fact, North of St. Louis, MO by almost 100 miles.