“Charming small pub.”

Ranked #13 of 14 Restaurants in Ripley
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We hadn't planned on stopping at this pub, but we are glad we did. The menu had a good range. The food was delicious, hot and the portions were very generous. For something different there were Aussies behind the bar, lovely.

1  Thank SmeethFamily

Reviewed December 5, 2013

My daughter wished to celebrate her 18th over a couple of weeks with friends and family and this date happened to be the day! Busy sporting weekend ahead with an early start on Saturday so chose this for convenience and easy menu choice.
The teenagers were not disappointed.
Easy bar area access, friendly staff and table for 16 laid well.
Happy for us to bring a cake which detracted from their dessert menu but no worries.
Very easy pub, friendly staff and friendly folk.
Thankyou x

1  Thank Bronwen295
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Visited for Sunday lunch with some friends recently, lovely pub, good atmosphere and friendly staff, dog friendly too!

All of us had one of the choices for roast, either lamb or beef on this occasion, fantastic food, large portions of well cooked and tasty food arrived very quickly, top service at a very good price.

Really worth a visit, great walks behind the pub on the common after your tasty lunch.

1  Thank Barney70
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having brought in my wife to pick up her car from the garages opposite, we crossed the road wanting lunch for us and our little boy. I think, if you weren't paying attention, you might not realise this is a pub. It looks like one of those smart new buildings, designed to look older, that's actually a solicitor's or something in a small market town somewhere. Almost hesitated to try one of the closed doors. I half got the impression it might even have been shut. But in we popped, and were greeted by a lovely, neat and clean pub with a few people quietly but happily enjoying a drink or a lunch.

My wife chose the burger and I chose the thai red curry from the usual set of offerings, though they did about ten different pizzas too. The food arrived looking tasty; and good-sized portions. No real flair to it, but that's overdone elsewhere these days anyway. Nice to get food on a plate rather than a bit of pretentious driftwood. It just looked good. Plain and simple.

We really enjoyed it. My curry was delicious. I'm not sure I've ever had better popadoms, bizarrely. Near the end, a friendly Labrador loped up to us.Our little boy enjoyed that. The barman (landlord?) was very friendly and courteous.

If this was local to us, we'd be adding it to our list of pubs we'd eat at regularly. My wife's car has to go all the way to the specialists out there in Ripley twice a year or so. We'll certainly look forward to dropping in again next time.

3  Thank Napkeeper
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Basic pub with a adequate bar menu if you llike chips. Friendly staff and good beer that kept well. Infinitely better place to drink than the Talbot even if you're staying at that hotel.

1  Thank Herne848