“Standard place to get your head down, great breakfast, nice bar.”
Review of Half Moon Inn

and 1 more site!
Half Moon Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Ripley B&B and Inns
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Standard place to get your head down, great breakfast, nice bar.”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stopped in Ripley for a few nights with work. Having been braving the Guildford rush hour, I decided to try out the Half Moon as it's very close to where I was working and hardly any drive at all.

For starters, don't expect luxury. This is very much "rooms above a pub" territory and to that end you are getting what you pay for. I booked the double ensuite (can't be doing with sharing bathrooms). The bathroom is spacious and well appointed but sadly lacking in any complimentary toiletries (just as well I had that shampoo and shower gel with me). But then again, I couldn't knock the value - really a very good rate if you're on a budget.

The bed was big and comfy enough although it had one of those "crunchy" water resistant matress protectors which I don't really like. Otherwise decently furnished if a little dated.

The wifi was slow, especially when everyone else was on, so my hope of streaming Sky Sports on the laptop went out of the window. It also didn't extend to all parts of my room, meaning the laptop had to to be sat near the door to get a decent enough signal. I do understand it is difficult in rural areas to get good broadband for wifi, but a solid internet connection is a must.

Downstairs was a better experience. Breakfast is really good if full-English is your thing - large and substantial and not overly greasy. Plenty of orange juice and tea, and the friendly lady who cooks it will cook to order. The bar was really pleasant for relaxing - no rough types around and just a good solid English pub with a very decent selection of beers and spirits.

Because of the limited standard of accommodation I can't recommend this place for long business stays - two nights was definitely my limit and I couldn't envisage stopping much longer. That said, if you are in the area in need of a stopover this is definitely good for a rest and refuel, especially if you are on a budget. The pub itself is also well worth a visit for a drink if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Unless you want to share a bathroom, make sure you get one of the ensuites.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

An old pub having been dragged into the modern day - you still get the odd local + dog at the bar - shame the staff didn't have an awareness of who was turning up!

Room was well presented with en-suite facilties and at first seemed to have a resident ghost - but no it was the guest in an adjoing room (shame I had to hear their conversation when they came back later that evening!)

Only downside would be that I didn't pack my thermal pj's that and I felt it was alot just for a B&B but then it was Surrey!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed again after work on Friday night, great atmosphere, good night in the bar and a belly full of good pub grub, would recommend it:-) I've stayed here twice now and never been disappointed. Very nice New Zealand couple run the bar etc, nothing was too much trouble

• Stayed November 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The place has recently had a complete refurb and looks great the food is is very good, Had a Sunday roast here, they are fantastic and very good value for money.
The rooms are comfortable,and clean we could not ask for more .Staff were very friendly and helpful.
We will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Having travelled half way across the world to stay in the "friendly Half Moon" I was totally unprepared for the resulting weekend. The hotel was, to say the least, unprepared....we had to put the "spare bed" (a single mattress and linen) in our own room, and rearrange the furniture in order to make it fit. Having booked bed and breakfast for the weekend we were greeted by the sign that breakfast isnt served at the weekend, neither was it available on the Monday morning, as the cook was on holiday. We had to get our own clean towels, the rooms werent made up and we also had to get our own tea and coffee supplies. The very young staff appeared friendly on the surface, but couldnt have cared less!!. We too were locked out of the hotel, and had to leave by another access door. Another couple of friends joined us on the Sunday, only to be put in a room with a smashed toilet and soggy wet towels soaking up the water; they were moved to another room of similar quality, but with a working loo.
The only redeeming feature was the afternoon tea spread that I had pre-ordered for my husbands memorial service guests, but even then we got dirty looks from the locals for taking up the bar space!
Upon leaving on the Monday morning (8.30ish) we tried to find a member of staff in order to pay the bill. Not ONE single person was on the premises. We left our contact details, being honest people, and I have since written a letter of complaint which has not been acknowledged. I have emailed them, and am now being told that they are not a fault!!!!!!! (Or should that be FAWLT). What was supposed to have been a very memorable weekend for my late husband's Memorial was ruined by their careless attitude.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Ripley hotels

Reviewed August 2, 2012

At the end of a business trip, I stayed at the Half Moon Inn the night before flying home out of Gatwick. Relatively close to the airport, this little place was just the ticket! The room was very basic but clean and comfortable. With a fresh coat of paint and a few updated decorations and accessories, it would be charming.
The inn sits literally right on the road but there were no sounds from traffic or the pub beneath us. The food in the pub was really good and the staff casually welcoming. The only was in trying to lock the room door from the outside. It needs a bit of maintenance. If you want an affordable, clean, comfortable room with no frills, this suits just fine! Oh, about 35 minutes from Gatwick in rush hour traffic - not bad, eh?
Nickie
Curly Girlz & Guyz, Inc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Westbury, Wiltshire
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here for a night, meeting family at another restaurant in Ripley for dinner. This Inn is undergoing a rennovation that is slowly making its way through the building. The bedrooms have yet to be done. Note that breakfast is not served at weekends (reduced price accomodation). We stayed mid week and therefore had a very wholesome freshly prepared English fry-up. Cereal and toast are also available for breakfast but we did not enquire as to other alternatives.

The Inn is rather basic and is situated on a rather busy road - do ask for a room at the back though in hot weather with the window open the road noise still intrudes. The bedroom is failry basic and lacks a mirror but the en-suite shower and toilet was large (obviously once a room as it still has a small fireplace in it!) and reasonaly appointed. Unusually, there was only soap and no shower gel etc. A hair dryer was provided on request and the free wii-fi was fast. Entry to the bedrooms is via a separate door to the Pub part of the Inn. There is ample car parking adjacent to the green open public space to the rear of the Inn (looks good for a short walk). I do not beleive that there is wheelchair access to the bedrooms.

This is a place to stay at if you have business in the area, or are passing and want a place to lie your head, rather than a place for a relaxing break. Perhaps in the future when it has been fully rennovated it will be a more attractive stay. In the meantime, it is cheap and cheery and what you pay for is what you get! We will stay there again if all we want is a bed for the night, but not otherwise.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking
#1 of 1 in East Horsley
Woodlands Park Hotel
Woodlands Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cobham

Been to Half Moon Inn? Share your experiences!