“Credit goes to Amy ” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Talbot Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Ripley B&B and Inns
“Credit goes to Amy ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

My self I worked in big brand hotel, so when I booked this hotel on valentine day I was expecting what I was going to get it, it's more of experience rather then luxury, Amy was very friendly and helpful on reception really I had great time there.

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Epsom, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Booked a superior room with a four poster bed - all we got was a standard bed with a dodgy steel post at each corner, all of which were loose. No air con, no other facilities. A room fridge was a B&Q tin cooler box that didn't work anyway. The site gives the impression of a traditional country hotel but all you get is a room in a modern block at the back of the car park. Hotel reception was almost non-existent, just a flat monotone delivery of what they couldn't do. Cobwebs in the room, mould in the shower grout. We went down to the restaurant to be told it was closed on a Sunday night, even though the menu clearly stated it was open. Nothing at all was available! The breakfast was a disaster. Badly and barely cooked food, no bread rolls, no orange juice. The front door of the Annex had an incredibly long security code to access the door lock - probably why everybody left the door open so there was no room security at all! Free wi-fi? Took a long time to figure out how to connect using an offshoot of the hotel's own network including having to call their IT helper to explain how to break into the bar's network - I'm in IT so heaven knows how a non-IT savvy person would cope. And once it had connected it was a crawl. Leave the internet for 5 minutes and it disconnected and you had to go though the whole reconnection routine again...... Never ever again! Not under this management. Only good thing to come out of it was that a member of the hotel staff sent us to the Onslow Arms in Clandon for a meal - one of the best restaurants I have even been to. Brilliant and the only thing in the area worth recommending.

Room Tip: Didn't see the rooms in the original building so I can't comment on those. Never ever accept...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Les S

Travelers are raving about these Ripley hotels

Northwich, Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've stayed at the Talbot on two occasions recently. The second time only because I'd booked it before my first stay.

The Ripley wing (in which I was accommodated on both occasions) must have been excellent when first built. Sadly, it doesn't appear to have had any money spent on it since. As a result, the window in one of my rooms didn't close properly, the bathroom walls are streaked with years worth of water runs from steamy showers, the shower stalls have mouldy sealant, the walls in the bedrooms are littered with scuffs, the gloss paint has yellowed with age and the carpets are past their best.

In the main building, the condition of the reception area is far worse. Yes, it's part of an old building and wood panelling is bound to show signs of age. But, the carpet is a disgrace. The restaurant is better - thought the conservatory (currently being re-painted), like the bedrooms, looked rather sad and unloved on my first visit.

"Do you have a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc?" I asked the young male waiter on my first visit to the restaurant. I was told no, only a Chilean or French Sav. Blanc. I asked for a large glass. "We only do 125ml or 175 ml. I don't know why 250ml is on the wine list." I chose a 175ml glass of French. I received a 125ml glass. The waiter tried to convince me it was the larger glass. Comparing it to glasses on adjoining tables, it clearly wasn't. Just as well really; it wasn't very special. So, I asked for the aforementioned Wine List. There. half-way down the white wines, was a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. Had the waiter ever returned to take my order, I would have ordered a glass. However, he obviously had the best interests of my liver at heart and ignored me completely.

A moustachioed gent, who I assume to be the restaurant manager (and who reminded me a little of Basil Fawlty) was polite and helpful on my second visit and, when I questioned the provenance of my Pinot Noir, quickly went away, tasted the wine and swapped it out with a fresh glass.

Having criticised the competence of a young and clearly part-time waiter, I should balance this out by commenting on the food. In this respect, I found The Talbot excelled. Duck egg on black pudding, fish pie and honey glazed pork belly have all been delicious, And the choice of Eggs Benedict AND Eggs Royale at breakfast, in addition to the usual Full-English made a refreshing change.

I do wonder whether the Talbot's lack of bedroom maintenance is something to do with lack of cash. If my experience at checkout is anything to go by, it probably is. All I'll say here is check your invoice carefully. You may have a pleasant surprise. You may have a less pleasant surprise. I've had both. However, The Talbot has clearly lost out on both occasion. As a matter of some urgency, it needs to: Establish a more robust way of recording paid-for breakfasts; establish controls to ensure meals are correctly re-charging to residents; and, improve the way in which it ensures payment is taken from walk-in customers. As it stands at present, it is ridiculously easy for restaurant guests to walk out without paying.

The Talbot has the potential to be brilliant. But it needs investment and it needs management that have the ability to recruit, retain and inspire a better team.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Duncan_Francis
Emma D, Guest Relations Manager at The Talbot Inn, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Mr Francis,

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry that you found both your stays not up to the standard you expected. If you had notified myself or my team whilst you were on site I would have been more than happy to try to accommodate your needs better, as we take any feedback given seriously.

As you have said in your feedback provided when you attended the second time the restaurant was indeed being repainted and as you can imagine a property of this size and age does take time repaint and renew, but hopefully if you do decided to stay with us again you will start to see the differences we are slowly making.

I also would like to thank you for your comments regarding the staff, we are constantly trying to improve and any feedback can be taken and improved on.

So once again thank you for your feedback and if you would like to discuss this matter further with me please feel free to contact me on manager@thetalbotripley.com

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel looks nice but not many staff at breakfast. You pay an £10 pp for a "full English breakfast" which is a large plate with the worst cooked food. The beds are ok depends where u stay in the hotel. Only good thing about my stay that the barman was lovely and we talked all night

• Stayed February 2014
Emma D, Manager at The Talbot Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Leannelp

I am sorry to hear that your cooked breakfast was not you expected especially since we do get really good reviews on our eggs benedict. However I am glad that you enjoyed the experience that night before and my bar staff were friendly.

If you would care to email me at manager@thetalbotripley.com I would be more than happy to address any issues.

Shillingstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed just one night hotel was totally let down by the staff at breakfast. I was totally ignored by the waitress at breakfast apart from a coffee. The tables were not cleaned and the few staff there were seemed well under prepared. Tried to point out the problem to the receptionist on leaving, all I got was a take or leave attitude. I have had far better service from much more reasonably priced hotels. This hotel needs a good shake up if it going charge such high prices!

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Emma D, General Manager at The Talbot Inn, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Chris W

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not everything you hoped for. I was extremely surprised to receive this feedback especially as I was helping during breakfast that morning and nobody once tried to grab my attention whilst I was helping to clear tables. Once again I am sorry that you felt that your stay was up to standard. If you do care to email me your issues I would be more than happy to address them fully.

Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights last week and found the Talbot to be very good. The check-in process was easy, the receptionist was friendly. The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. The restaurant and pub serve good food and offer a nice selection of local beer. Overall, a nice stay, the Talbot has been consistently good over the last four years and I would stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr Gardener

Thank you for your comments I have passed them on to my staff and I was very glad to hear that the consistency has remained the same over the years.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I visited the Talbot after some comments from colleagues some of whom said it was a bit tired as a hotel. I didn't find it so; the room was OK although with a few strange noises and dinner was very good as were staff at dinner.
Obviously deals with corporate conferences but no real problem.
Breakfast however was. Rate includes Breakfast but doesn't seem to say Continental Breakfast only and if a cooked breakfast taken more is charged but not the increment.

Room Tip: choose a room in Ripley block - it seems to be away from any conference noise
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Tjr

Thank you very much for your comments I have passed them on to my staff and I have also made sure that all guests from this point forward understand that it is continental breakfast included only when booking with us.

Katarina Last
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripley
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking
Guildford Harbour Hotel
Guildford Harbour Hotel
#5 of 11 in Guildford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,788 reviews

Been to The Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!