The Royal George Hotel
$123
$120
Seamill Hydro(West Kilbride)
$94
The Waterside Hotel(West Kilbride)(Great Value!)
$136
$94
  • Breakfast included
$116
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroyal georgebeer gardenbalmoral roombalcony overlookinggreat breakfaststaff were lovelycooked scottishlovely meallounge areanice barfew daysworth a visitcould not have been more helpfulfriendly atmospherea lovely stayfriends and familymargaret
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Pros:

1. The suites are fantastic: spacious, modern and boutiquey. Our's also had a great view over the square and sea. Hard to believe that the rest of the hotel is so tatty [see below].

2. Good location in the heart of the town.

3. The owner, Margaret. She took prompt, concerned and efficient action when we asked for a change of accommodation following the first night's karaoke [see below] and found us a self-catering flat over the square.

Cons:

1. Loud, live music incl. karaoke until 1am followed by noisy chucking out time for another hour at weekends including Sunday nights. The roadsweeper also calls at 7am on both Sat and Sun mornings!

2. Appalling breakfast. I'm not fussy but the tea and coffee was undrinkable and instead of a sausage you get a slice of soggy sausage meat. NB Breakfast serving doesn't start until 9am.

3. Poor looking menu. Didn't eat dinner at the hotel given our experience of the breakfast but, be warned, the menu is of the '£6.95 lasagne' variety. This is very much a 'drinkers first' pub and there are lots of them. Bizarrely, dinner is only available before 6.30pm.

4. Taciturn, sullen staff. The waitresses have no idea about hospitality.

5. Very narrow beds. Our two singles, each measuring 2ft 3 inches wide, were actually an unzipped double bed. Sleep was something of a balancing act and if you are broad you will probably roll off.

6. Tatty bar area. Ugly juke box mounted on the wall; huge cappuccino machine perched on the bar; glittery foil strips and disco ball behind the stage; paper signs Blue Tac-ked to the walls ... it's that sort of place.

Conclusion: If you avoid the weekends and aren't bothered about a cooked breakfast then book. The suites are good value at £40 pppn. In all other circumstances go somewhere else. I wish we'd stayed at the B&B accommodation run by The Cathedral of the Isles.

Room Tip: Avoid the suites over the bar/music area. Get on the second floor if poss but even then you will be disturbed by the music.
6  Thank Paul K
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Mr. Kirkwood - thank you for taking the time to write a lengthy review of your stay at The Royal George; can I however point out that at the time of your booking I did say that there would be loud music , not only in our bar but in various venues throughout the town because of the Sail & Oar Festival and I did suggest that the B & B at the Cathedral might be better suited for your needs.
Your stay and discount was arranged through Visit Scotland whose advisor recommended the “narrow” zip and lock beds to me and I do wish that I had not taken their advice, however having spent so much money on these beds I am afraid that I have to wait a bit longer before I can replace them; however on your arrival I did point out to you that there was also a double sofa bed in the lounge should you wish to use it.
At breakfast we use Tetley’s Tea made with boiling water in individual teapots, Coffee is either Maxwell House or Dowe Egbert’s again made in individual pots with boiling water – unless a guest requests a Latte or Cappuccino from the huge machine perched on the bar. Breakfast is served from 9.00am until 10.30am because most of our residents are here to enjoy a break and prefer being able to have a relaxing morning rather than rushing down to an early breakfast – we do however accommodate guests who ask for an early breakfast (from 7.00am) and have on occasion served an even earlier breakfast for guests who were here to for fishing.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy a full SCOTTISH breakfast with Lorne sausage but you have pride of place in being the first guest who has ever complained about breakfast. What I do find remarkable is that you commented to my cook that you had a lovely breakfast.
The glittery foil strips behind the stage – perhaps had you watched the raft race and taken part in the fundraising Disco on the Sunday Night you would have realised why..............
There is no way that I can condemn our road sweeper for being out at 7.00 am on Saturday and Sunday Mornings as he does an excellent job in keeping our town clean and tidy in particular during the holiday season.
I will try to find out why my waitresses appeared to be sullen as usually I have a job in keeping them from chatting too much to guests.
I do have some signs blue tacked to one wall which is only seen on the way to the toilets, these are there by request, the largest of which was thanking local folk for the grand effort the made in raising money on behalf of a young local man who died suddenly this year – the funds raised went to the charity C.R.Y. – Yes it is that sort of a place.
I am sorry that you did not take the opportunity to try our menu (on request residents can eat after 6.30pm as we section off the dining area) as our £6.95 lasagne is home made (as is most of the items on our menu) we price our menu to suit our market but we do not scrimp on quality.
Conclusion: We are a small family run hotel; we work very hard in trying to accommodate our guests giving them as clean and comfortable a room as possible, we provide entertainment as much as possible as most of our guests are here on holiday, we do our best to provide a varied well cooked menu consisting of dishes which are time served favourites and enhanced by daily specials. We work hard to within the community to become involved in local projects; we do not make a lot of money but most of the time we enjoy the work and we most certainly enjoy living on this glorious Island. and in providing hospitality for many people who, on the whole appreciate our efforts, many of whom come back time and time again. We don’t aspire to being Gleneagles nor do we crave Michelin stars but we do our best to please all of our guests – I’m sorry that you were disappointed but even before you booked I did advise you that the quieter atmosphere of the Cathedral would have been better suited to your needs.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our group consisted of myself, my daughter 23, my cousin 50, my Mum 68, two aunts 54 & 64. We booked two suites for one night. The staff in the hotel could not have been more helpful. Accomodation was lovely although we had a problem using one of the power showers. The suites were clean and comfortable and fulfilled all of our needs. Waverley Suite is exceptionally nice with lovely views. All in all we look forward to returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Waverley Suite offers exceptional views and has a nice big lounge area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank TheBraes

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that your family enjoyed their time at the hotel and on the Island. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.
Margaret

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went to this hotel for lunch on Sunday 12th August 2012 after spending a few hours in Millport. Was not a very warm welcome we seemed to just cause hassle for the barmaid (bearing in mind we were in there to spend our money, i thought that is what a business was for and you are supposed to appreciate your customers.) she was huffing and puffing with every question that I asked ( two questions) she told me that they dont serve food until 12.30 and even at 12.30 she didnt know if the chef would be ready to serve food!!! we stayed and ordred food and drinks anyway but it was the worse spent £30.00 ever ! food was greasy and sickning, my stomch was sore for hours after, avoid this place at all cost ! mabey if no one goes into the hotel then there will be no hasstle for the staff and also no business left !!!

10  Thank t c
meganIsleofCumbrae, Manager at The Royal George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Sunday 12th August I was personally on duty as manager of the hotel. Yes my barmaid was a bit harassed as she had just seen a fellow workmate to hospital (after an injury caused outside of his work place) and had been trying to find cover for his shift - the reason as to why the chef was a bit later than normal in starting food service; but she most certainly was not huffing and puffing - she did answer all questions put to her civilly and there were certainly many more than two questions although I cannot say that all questions came from the same customer. I am sorry that in your opinion our food was "greasy and sickening" - certainly not the opinion of our many other customers who frequently compliment the quality of our food.
As previously stated being short of staff I stood in to help out in the bar and was clearing tables at the particular time you have stated to have been served. I did not take back to the kitchen any plates where food had not been eaten and I am very concerned that you would say that the food. was greasy and sickening but continued to eat all of your meal I am also extremely concerned that you would indicate that you had stomach pains due to eating from our hotel this is a very serious complaint and I am at present seeking legal advice on this matter. I would assume that before publishing on the internet that you suffered stomach pains from our food that you would have proof of this. I have checked the CCTV recordings for this time - at no time was there food waste taken out through the bar - as this is not a practice here I am not surprised to find that there was no evidence of food waste being taken through the bar.. There were around 30 -35 customers in the bar at the time many of whom ordered food and not one complaint was received nor were there any complaints made about food either that day nor during the following week - indeed I cannot remember having a complaint about the quality of our food this summer other than one elderly couple who said that the portions were too big. However I am always willing to address any complaint and my staff are trained also to listen to any comments made by customers and to ensure that customers are satisfied. As to comments that the bar was filthy and in the need of a scrub again the proof of the cleanliness of the bar area is shown very clearly on the CCTV recordings which can be seen by you should you wish to get in touch with me.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We visited the island on sunday afternoon looking for a nice sunday lunch, we arrived at the george hotel at 12.15 and as entering we were shouted at by the barmaid telling us food wouldnt be served until 12.30 or after as she didnt know and she wouldnt be taking orders either, we decided to get a drink and wait, after seeing her take orders we went up to place ours (there was only about 10 people in the place), would have been nice to be told food was available as there was 6 of us waiting, the barmaids attitude was shocking never have i came across service like it, she was abrubt and never once smiled the full time we were there and it was an effort to get a drink of her, the food was vile, fish you could have hit of a wall, scampie was cold unedible, burger very greasy, nachos and soup were horrible and to top it of they were taking bin bags out through the resturant while we were eating and the smell was teribble, the place looks like it needs a good scrub, i cant coment on the rooms but what i saw was enough,I will nerver set foot in there again and me and my sister were sick all night long after eating the food............, didnt complain as it would have been pointless they all looked disinterested in anything that was going on.......

13  Thank dustybin76
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here over the 8-10 June and I have to say it was a fine establishment for the duration. People of the town are friendly + chatty, and the general island atmosphere is just totally relaxing but the hotel itself was also of a great standard, staff were generally courteous and helpful, and the room was well-kept and comfortable. Whilst the weekend entertainment didnt suit me personally (not the greatest fan of karaoke or cabaret!!) the bar was busy and the entertainer was energetic and got the crowd lively :) only major issue was an apparent argument started by other guests to the hotel in the bar, it partly spoiled a good night for myself and others who were present but was not a major issue and the staff handled pressure well (have seen these situations happen in other hotels and usually spiral out of control so credit to the barstaff for keeping a lid on it) but the general quality of the stay was very good, fantastic weather and lovely people. would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like a weekend break on the island.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo