Westbourne House
$123
$120
Seamill Hydro(West Kilbride)
$94
The Waterside Hotel(West Kilbride)(Great Value!)
$133
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
$116
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 19, 2008

As my fiance and myself were working the day after valentines this year which had fallen on a thursday,we decided to wait until the following night to celebrate as we were both off on the saturday. It has been a long and miserable winter and so decided to book a nice night away somewhere relaxing and peaceful. We live on the isle of bute on the west coast of scotland so,we decided to go to millport,a amall town on a small neighbouring island. i looked online to find a nice hotel and came across Westbourne guest house and caravan park. It looked delightful,with lovely photos of the bedrooms which looked large,spacious and atmospheric,with large bay windows looking right onto the seafront and panoramic views across the bay to the other nearby islands. Perfect! or so I thought.
I called them up next day (wednesday 13th Feb.) and booked a double ensuite room for the friday night (15th.Only two days later) I spoke to a pleasant friendly english woman who asked me for £35 deposit,which I happily paid by debit card as there was a surcharge for using credit card. I did find it a bit unusual to be asked for a deposit there and then but didn't mind.
Friday arrived and after work we jumped on the ferry,caught the bus,another ferry ,another bus and then a short taxi journey from millport to the guest house. It was dark when we arrived but as soon as we pulled up outside we were already grimly disappointed! The taxi driver was the first to make his thoughts clear by exclaiming OH Dear! as we arrived in the drive way. We then looked toward the house to see and instantly understand his discomfort and dismay. The entire front of the building from ground to roof was hidden by heavy scaffolding! Oh well! I thought, there goes the seaview! Upon entering we were greeted by a nice english chap (who next morning informed my fiance that he is infact northern welsh) My fiance is welsh. Anyway, before offering to show us the room,take off our jackets or even put down our bag, he promptly started talking money! stating " lets see now,you've paid £35 pounds deposit already,so...." I stopped him right there,asking if we could see the room first before we pay any more money. He looked at me quite taken aback and I explained that I was concerned about the scaffolding in front of the house ruining our view, and that the view was a large part of why we had chosen this particular hotel!
His response was " Your only here for one night! and checking out time is 10 AM ! " This didn't help my warming to the guy or his hotel,which was already seeming more and more like faulty towers. I persevered telling him that we wanted to appreciate the view anyway.and after a seemingly very long wait while he hunted around and made phone calls to locate the key to our room,we were shown upstairs to a side facing room with partial views of the sea,but mainly of the roof outside and ofcourse of the scaffolding. The room itself was orobably half the size of the rooms shown on the website and I pointed this out to him. I told him that his website was very misleading and I felt conned! I explained that this was a treat for us to celebrate valentines and had only chosen this particular hotel because of it's lovely rooms and stunning views. I also asked whether or not he thought we should have been told about the scaffolding when we called to book the room. He told us the scaffolding had only gone up that week. I had only booked the room two days ago!
He then apologised for being curt and offered us a £10 discount off the price of the room. Not even per person! I told him the money wasn't an issue but infact even if he had given us it for free it wasn't going to be the night we had envisaged.
One thing in their favour, the breakfast was lovely, well cooked and good quality produce. Unfortunately that's all I can say in any way positive. The woman who I had spoken to on the phone never once showed face. Breakfast is served between 8.30 and 9.00 am! Not the largest of windows!
The guy couldn't have been nicer to my fiance in the morning,severe sucking up I have to say,and made no effort to engage me in the conversation. Not that I minded atall.
Anyway,we are home now. It is now tuesdsay 19th Feb and this evening I returned home from work and opened my mail. To my absolute horror and outrage I have received a letter from the westbourne guest house with a receipt enclosed for £50. Which they have helped themselves to from my bank account without my consent! They say it is for damages to the room during our stay. For smoking in the room and for wine spillage! Yes my fiance did spill wine,but we done a damn good job of cleaning it up and anyway this is not the point! If they had written asking us to pay towards any further cleaning of the carpet then ofcourse we would have done so. We are not young yobs,we are both in our forties! The fact that they have helped themselves to my bank account I find appaling and will ofcourse be looking into it tomorrow. This surely cannot be legal!
Please be warned. If you do find your way to this hotel. Pay in cash and check the room first to be sure of what your paying for!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
10  Thank anmariekin
jaberGlasgow, owner at Westbourne House, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2009

We have no smoking signs in all rooms and ask guests to report any damage caused during their stay so that I can do my best to rectify it with no cost to the guests.
I offered this couple a full refund on arrival, which was declined, the front rooms had water damage due to the storm the previous week.
They left the next morning in rather a hurry, but with no apparent hostility towards myself.