“Minor problems but would definitely stay again.”

Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hamden
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I was in New Haven for a job interview and the university bringing me in arranged and paid for my staying here. It is in an ideal location, right next to a major freeway. The parking lot seems a bit small, although signs said there was more parking on the other side of the building. The lobby area is beautiful and the desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The swimming pool looked inviting but I don't swim. The room was quite spacious although the window faces out to a corridor so there is no view to the outside. There are two concerns in particular: first is that the heating/AC unit is set at the back of the room and so it is somewhat inefficient in getting the heat or AC out to the front of the room. Second, the shower head was a little bit inadequate and at the same time the tub tends to fill with water because the drain doesn't stay open fully. There is a restaurant adjacent but I didn't eat there. There are plenty of dining options not far from the hotel, especially an abundance of pizza joints. I stayed two nights and felt safe and comfortable. One warning: the mattress was very firm and I found it too hard for my liking. Still, I was very satisfied with my stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed April 18, 2010

On the positive side, all the staff we met were pleasant and courteous - with the exception of the maid who came in to clean our room at 10:00 AM, much to our surprise (checkout is at 11:00).
The bed was a full, not a queen. Intimate, yes - comfortable, no.
There is no keycard entrance - you come in through the lobby, period.
Three bath towels were provided, one of which had several long thick dark hairs infiltrating the tufts of the terry cloth. My blond wife assessed my bald pate, and we both came to the conclusion that the offending hairs did not come from either of us.
The shower required constant "resetting"; that is, the plunger which directs the water to the shower head would pop, redirecting the water to the tub fill.
There was an unreasonable amount of light and noise entering the room from the hallway. Turning the A/C fan on took care of the noise, but the light filtering from under the door and around the curtains kept the room from being anything but dark no matter what time it was.
We had lunch at the Town House restaurant. Excellent service, but the food almost made participation at our event that evening a physical impossibility.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2010

Easy to find (right off the highway), very friendly and accomodating staff, and great restaurant next door. My young daughter and I were in the area for a dog show seminar, and had our dog with us; he was also welcomed and made to feel comfortable by the staff, and the room was fresh and clean. LOVED the no-smoking policy throughout the hotel, and loved the fact that our room had a door that opened to the hall, and another that opened directly outside so we could take our dog out to relieve himself. VERY comfortable beds. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Stayed here only because visiting friends in the area. Room was very clean and comfortable - but very dark with the only window leading onto a corridor. Aircon a little noisy. Had a pool which we didn't use but looked fine. Restaurant next door did great breakfasts.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2009

My family and I stayed here for the Fourth of July weekend. We chose the hotel because it was close to relatives we were visiting. While it is obvious the hotel has been around a while, it is renovated like new and spotlessly clean.

DISLIKED

The air conditioning was tricky. We had a suite. If the bedroom was comfortable, the sitting room was freezing. If the sitting room was comfortable, the bedroom was hot.

You need a car to get to New Haven.

LIKED

Quiet. There was a Little League team staying the weekend and we never heard a thing.

Nice touches: This is the first time I have ever had a night light in a hotel room that actually worked! Also, a couple to the wall switches had lights to make them easy to find. The closet had some hooks as well as hangers.

This was the first time in a long time that there were enough towels for all four of us. Usually, you have to ask.

The restaurant on the property (Town House Restaurant), but across the parking lot, had decent food, incredibly fast and friendly service, long hours, and did carry out if you ask.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Nice Place. We have stayed here a couple of times while vsiting my relatives. Positives-friendly staff, Convenient to Wilbur Cross Pkwy, clean rooms. Negatives: very small property--basicaly a parking lot right next to freeway. Despite this i recommend it because it is pretty quiet despite location and staff is friendly and helpful. You could drive to New Haven/Yale from here in 15 minutes.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We were in Hamden for a dog show. It was a bit more expensive than I would have liked, but absolutely worth it. It was very clean, which is hard to find anymore, the wi-fi worked good, quiet , pleasant staff. It was just a great stay. We did check out the place down the street. Didn't look good at all.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamden
Best Western Plus North Haven Hotel
#1 of 3 in Hamden
6 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites New Haven
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale

Been to Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden? Share your experiences!