“Good choice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hamden
Enfield, Connecticut
“Good choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I and 2 tween age children stayed here on a Friday night to be close to a program at Yale University and the Yale Peabody museum, both of which are 5 miles away. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean and the common area was nicely decorated with a working fireplace. My kids thought having a small balcony off our room was pretty cool, although it overlooked the parking lot. There is a restaurant in the same parking lot, but we didn't have time in our schedule to try it out. We did greatly enjoy the indoor heated pool and hot tub. This is a hotel that allows pets and we saw a few dogs entering, but during our stay we heard no noisy pets and our room didn't show any signs of pet-wear or smell. We would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa D
kjwtjc, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden, responded to this review, June 23, 2014

Timothy J Colavecchio, CHA
Clarion Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

The Clarion was busier than ever. Several local College activities in the area . The teams chose the Clarion and even though the staff was super busy,they found the time to make me feel like a V.I.P. They're located 5 Minutes from Quinnipiac University and closer to many of the other colleges in the area.So if you're visiting in the area stay at the Clarion.They have great room packages and will make you special too.

Room Tip: All the rooms are top notch.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Timothy J Colavecchio, CHA
Clarion Hotel
Rockville, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

We had stayed previously at this Whitney Avenue location when it was a Howard Johnsons. It was bad then; ratty beds, doors that opened directly outside (which didn’t entirely close all the time), dirty rooms, poor management. Clarion has a good reputation so I thought things had improved at the location once they took over. This was not entirely the case. Though there had been extensive remodeling of the exterior, which included closing off the exterior hallways, and adding an indoor pool and Jacuzzi, much was the same.

The good:
• We were able to check in an hour early.
• We were given a free USA today newspaper.
• The room had a door to a teeny-tiny balcony overlooking the rear parking lot.
• There is a desk, television, wifi, and two sinks.
• The staff was extremely friendly and professional.

The bad:
• The first room was on the floor with the dogs. Literally the pet floor (We had no pet).
• We asked for 2 beds. There was just one. The room was dingy and smelled.
• The second room was directly outside the elevator. We were tired from driving all day so we took it.
• The beds had some large hard white particles between the sheets. I assume it was detergent. We had to shake out the sheets.
• The carpet was filthy. One walk to the bathroom and back and our clean socks were dirty.
• There was no room refrigerator.
• The motel's continental breakfast (a first for me) was not included in the $128.00 price of the room. Each guest must pay $6. Just tea? $3. Outrageous!

If The Clarion in Hamden is going to charge exorbitant prices then management has to provide clean rooms. A carb breakfast offering really has to be in included at the rate of $128.00. Compact refrigerators should be in all rooms, not some rooms.

For the price, we could have driven a few miles south and stayed in New Haven or north to North Haven. I wish we had. We saw no bedbugs or roaches but we definitely felt that we had stayed at a second rate motor inn. I would not return.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here be certain that you are not put on floor #1, which is for pets.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank honkrattlecrashbeep
gmct067, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay. After researching our daily log book I am unable to locate any communication to the front desk about these issues. If you could email me directly with date of stay and room numbers, I would appreciate it to communicate with you directly. My email is tim@clarion-hamden.com.

Kind Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Hamden hotels

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Clarion for two nights, I was in the area for a med school interview. I was surprised at how nice the place was. The common areas are really nice and were very nicely decorated. My room was on the first floor and was a good size. I did not have a car while I was there so I was worried about where I would eat, but the diner which is in the same parking lot as the hotel was great! I had dinner there twice. I had breakfast from the cafe in the hotel and it was also good. I really enjoyed my stay at the Clarion! They also offered a free shuttle for me to and from the school I was interviewing at.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gabby R
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed at the Clarion Hamden for over a month while taking up a short-term fellowship at Yale. The owner, manager and staff could not have done more to make me feel at home. My suite was extremely comfortable, impeccably clean, with fast wireless connection. Lovely family atmosphere, other guests very polite. A special mention goes to Tracy on reception, whose kind and calming presence was very welcome after a long journey from the UK, and to Edgar/Sway, the sweetest barman on earth, and a great conversationalist. I enjoyed getting out of downtown New Haven, and feeling part of a community. Would strongly recommend this hotel, particularly for a longer stay requiring some home comforts.

Room Tip: Suites have mini kitchen with fridge, sink and microwave.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gmct067, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
I wanted to thank you for your response and great comments. It was truly a pleasure meeting you! Please enjoy the holidays.
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were in town for a funeral for my Father In-Law and the service was outstanding. I had stayed at the Days Inn which is the only other hotel in town and it was awful so I was not expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised by the common areas and the room. It was clean and everything worked. The best part however was the staff. I called in the morning and Will took my reservation and called me along the way to let me know when the rooms became available for the next night as well. I had to call back multiple times to get rooms for other family members as we found out when they would arrive. Just can't say enough about the helpful people here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Very impressed with the room/suite. Well furnished and very clean. Internet was fast and TV package excellent, why then am I not gushing about the place. Well the atmosphere lacked something, it felt like a retirement home rather than a hotel and no breakfast just did not do it for me, sorry but doubt I will stay again

Room Tip: Great to unwind
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamden
BEST WESTERN PLUS North Haven Hotel
New Haven Village Suites
#5 of 12 in New Haven
Homewood Suites Wallingford-Meriden
Omni New Haven Hotel at Yale

Been to Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden? Share your experiences!