“Not bad, but expensive”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hamden
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
“Not bad, but expensive”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were booked into the Clarion for an event. When I booked, I was told that all that were available were suites. It was an extra $50 per night for the suite. The suite was nice, with nice amenities, refrigerator, microwave, in-room coffee, good toiletries. The suite enabled us to have friends into our room for conversation. The room was quiet, on the second floor, which is good because the pool is on the main (third) floor. The room itself seemed quite clean, but the common areas were definitely tired worn and not that clean. I liked it better than my wife, who thought it was all a bit shabby. I am giving it 4 stars, while she would give it two. I know there are other hotels/motels nearby that are considerably less, and if I went back to the New Haven area, would probably check elsewhere before booking here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TerryG49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New Haven, CT
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently chose Clarion-Hamden to lodge friends visiting from out of town.

I arrived in the lobby last Thursday to check-in my guests.

The lobby is very nicely done.

The staff member who checked me in was professional and provided excellent customer service.

On Friday morning, I asked my friends about their room and they told me that it was excellent and that the bed was very comfortable.

On Saturday, I arrived to pick-up my friends. I wanted a cup of coffee and asked your desk person if I could get one. He told me that I had to pay but then gave me a coupon for a free cup. I did not use the free cup and returned it because my friends came to the lobby too quickly. The point of this comment is that the employee was dollar wise and penny foolish. This gentleman's simple gesture of offering me a cup of coffee will ensure that I will always have my guests stay at your establishment and also ensure that I will recommend your location to anyone at work who needs lodging for out-of town guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rumjungle
Cape Cod
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Came for a baseball tournament Would rather stay at a Hilton property and get more for less. Not terrible or mr wife would make us leave. Rooms are small
Flat screens have blurry picture. You have to pay for a breakfast any Hilton property gives you for free. Breakfast some items on menu not available. Turns into a bar afternoon, some beers on display were also unavailable.

• Stayed October 2012
Kensington, Connecticut
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Courteous staff, nice lobby and cafe area. The room was typical hotel room, clean and comfortable. Loved the choice of pillows. Quiet location. The only thing I didn't care for was the door to room opened out to open hallway that looked over a railing to the floor below- light from hallway flooded the room even with dark curtains. Didn't like having the room's windows exposed to hallway traffic. Convenient location and great restaurant located in front of the hotel. The hotel's continental breakfast choices were just okay, felt it should have been included in the rate as most are these days. Even though close to home it was a great stop over to stay with out-of-town relatives for one night. Although rooms were clean the hallways could have used a better vacuuming.

Room Tip: Stay in the back or ask to be away from the main road which is quite busy with traffic and could be...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband, myself and 2 teen children went up to CT the Wed. before school started. My daughter was starting college. The dorms opened for freshman at 8 am the next morning and we wanted to be first in. The hotel was fine and the price was great. Two queen size beds was perfect!! HOWEVER, when in the shower the next morning I did see an ant on the floor. We were not on the bottom floor so the hotel may have a problem. It was the only ONE i saw so maybe not. Check out was a breeze.
I have already made our reservations for Parents Weekend in October. I am not happy with a 2 night min. stay but I am to understand (by other college parents) that is how local businesses get in on the "action". That time i will be bringing the rest of the siblings (5 total).
So for the price this was a good place to stay.

Room Tip: I only needed a place to sleep. We had the room with 2 queen beds for the 4 of us. It was great to...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tootsie4
Littleton, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I booked this hotel for one night as I drove down from NH for my graduation ceremony at Quinnipiac University. Apparently everyone else did too because the lot was packed. My room which I shared with a friend was adequate for the price paid but my overall impression of the facility was that it lacked attention from the staff and ownership.

The beds were old, one of the frames leaned extremely to the left. I found cob webs in the corners of my room's window. Clearly, the cleaning staff chooses to move the blinds to dust or de-spider web the rooms. Which I should mention that the curtain wasn't wide enough to block out all of the light from the parking lot.

Since it was so busy, there was heavy traffic in the hallways. All night long we hears, slamming and banging of doors. So there is poor noise control in the walls.

Vending machines were not working or were not filled. You'd think they would have attended to that prior to a busy weekend. Regardless if they own them or not, they should have had them tended to.

At least the bathrooms were clean. But with the dirty windows, cob webs, slamming of doors all night, empty vending machines, rooms with semi open doors, one had a dog inside and it was barking...I will not stay there again. But I was limited on choices and on a budget so beggers couldn't be choosers.

But, you've been warned.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Hamden hotels

Nice, France
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I spent couples of night in this hotel, and from the start to the end everything was excellent. From the welcoming staff upon arrival to the check out. The room was spacious and spotless.
If i could recommend an hotel around New Haven it will be this one. You are just next to Yale down town, and you can enjoy the peaceful place of Hamden neighborhood. The pool is small but it's just enough to relax after a walk.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamden
Whitney Inn & Suites
New Haven Village Suites
New Haven Village Suites
#5 of 12 in New Haven
Courtyard New Haven at Yale

Been to Clarion Hotel & Suites Hamden? Share your experiences!