“One of the top 5 meals of my life. Make it a point to go here.”
Review of Mikro

Mikro
Ranked #5 of 163 Restaurants in Hamden
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I must admit I did not go here for the food to start, the extensive selection of high quality craft beers on tap was enough for me to want to check it out.

Fast forward 7 months later, and I've been there seven times (I commute to New Haven once a month and make sure to make the drive up Whitney Ave. to this establishment).

The food is absolutely scrumptious. They have very creative small plates (jalapeno hush puppies, soft pretzel loafs w/ India Pale Ale mustard, etc), always have a great special item (including special burgers), and make some of the best pork-belly dishes I've ever had. That said, the SHRIMP AND GRITS was the not only the best shrimp and grits I've had north of the Carolinas, but is and will remain one of the top 5 meals I've ever had in my life.

The place is small, and has a very intimate atmosphere as the tables are pretty close together (they have an eat-at bar-style table down the middle of the restaurant, too). Get there early (before 6:30) if you don't want to wait super long for a table, but even if you do get there later, it is worth every minute.

1  Thank BrandywineFoodie
There are newer reviews for Mikro

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Mikro has a solid beer selection. Great local and semi-local beers to choose from. The service and the atmosphere are both top notch. We arrived about when it was opening and there was already a line of people waiting to get in. Interesting food menu as well. My dish wasn't anything special but all those who I traveled with commented on how much they liked it. Next time I'm in town i'll give something else a try. Certainly a must visit place when you're in town.

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I want to begin with that I have been to this restaurant in the past and truly like the atmosphere and creative menu. We visited here in October for the great pumpkin night and the menu was delicious! I unfortunately suffer from celiac disease, while this can be confused with people following the trendy gluten free diet associated with paleo, I actually have a severe reaction when gluten is ingested. Needless to say, we went to mikro this week and I questioned a "beet pasta" as gluten free which the waitress confirmed was indeed gluten free. The meal was delicious and gluten free, win! There is a great selection of gluten free beers as well. A couple of hours later, I became violently ill which is the common reaction for celiacs when gluten has been ingested. Gluten is much more than an allergy in celiac sufferers. It is more like a toxin with the potential to cause long term effects. It causes an immune reaction in the small intestine leading to shortened villi and "malabsorption"- your body loses it's ability to absorb nutrients- causing malnutrition- weight loss. There is no cure for celiac disease, just strictly following a gluten free diet to control the amount of damage that is done to the small intestine. A gluten allergy really cannot be taken lightly. I feel that more education on the menu and this disease would greatly improve this restaurant. My fiancé did contact the restaurant and the manager was very apologetic and receptive, but I truly hope that this restaurant raises awareness amongst their staff.

1  Thank Ctyler706
Reviewed May 13, 2014

excellent bar atmosphere
no reservation; wait can be long but worth it
menu changes rarely; everything is worth trying but I suggest the fried chickpeas, flat breads, and burger or sandwich

the beers are changed constantly but consistently excellent
you have to try a 12% beer when you go;

overall 10 out of 10 for a bar
my favorite spot so far

1  Thank Me74126500
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The service, food, beer, wine, and cocktails are always excellent. Vibrant atmosphere with amazing rotating specials and often new menu items are rotated every few months. Highly recommend Mikro if you're into artisan food and craft brews!